HAM.... easy peasy... no mess.... DISCLAIMER.. MONEY...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sorry to revive it again....but it's such a great thread, I don't think the OP and others will mind.

daveomak daveomak , sorry but I didn't see the percentage of STPP to use. I can use the spreadsheet of course, but would like to know.

I'm thawing a 9-lb butt in the fridge, gonna surprise the Thanksgiving crowd with some samples.

Reactions: bill1 and pc farmer
Sorry to revive it again....but it's such a great thread, I don't think the OP and others will mind.

daveomak daveomak , sorry but I didn't see the percentage of STPP to use. I can use the spreadsheet of course, but would like to know.

I'm thawing a 9-lb butt in the fridge, gonna surprise the Thanksgiving crowd with some samples.

Don't be sorry. This is a great injection cure and needs to be seen. I love it, works great

Reactions: chopsaw
I like to try and use stuff that I can remember easily. IE: For STPP I use .25% as it is the same rate for cure. Also same rate for MSG/Accent I use.

sorry but I didn't see the percentage of STPP to use. I can use the spreadsheet of course, but would like to know.

I just injected one on 10 / 26 . Almost ready .
Anyway , just checked my notes ( that came from Dave ) and they say 0.5 % STPP .
The spreadsheet for mixing the injection cure shows 1.8g per pound of meat. Instructions for phosphates generally show a range verses an exact number like Cure #1.

Below are the recommendations from PhosThis, which is the same product as AmesPhos. Note the percentage in solution and the target level. I'm guessing the 0.5% mentioned by chopsaw chopsaw is the target level.

Use approximately 4.5-9g (about 2-4 level tsp) per pint of water (1% to 2% solution) for injection or marination, slightly more for acidic solutions like apple juice. Target level is 0.2% to 0.5% of total product, by weight. For sausage making or other ground meats, use about 1.5g per pound of meat, and mix with water before incorporation to ensure even distribution.

Reactions: Cody_Mack
My 9 lb Butt, following Dave's method, went into cure last Saturday. It was frozen, but hey, experimenting, and cleaning out the freezer so I can defrost it. It's not the main course for T-Day, but I will take some for samplers at least...

My 9 lb Butt, following Dave's method, went into cure last Saturday. It was frozen, but hey, experimenting, and cleaning out the freezer so I can defrost it. It's not the main course for T-Day, but I will take some for samplers at least...

So you injected it frozen?

Dave O’s injection is all I use on big hams, it’s the best I’ve ever tasted. I have 11# of loins down to smoke this weekend also with Dave’s injection, it’s perfect.

I injected my 5 lb fresh loin tonight. Y'all think four days will produce something good? Smoke it Wednesday?
It will work, but the flavor is much better after 10-12 days, I try for 14 days. I have 11# of loins that are at 7 days tomorrow with the same injection and I have to smoke them for the constraint of time, they will be delicious.

Reactions: Cody_Mack
I injected my 5 lb fresh loin tonight. Y'all think four days will produce something good? Smoke it Wednesday?
I go longer as well. After about day 10 I sort of keep an eye on the weather and my schedule and pick the best day for smoking. Here is what you can expect. This is the rib end of a loin, that has that second muscle.
87jreZz.jpg

It will work, but the flavor is much better after 10-12 days, I try for 14 days. I have 11# of loins that are at 7 days tomorrow with the same injection and I have to smoke them for the constraint of time, they will be delicious.
For sure, up to 14 days normally. This was an afterthought after I read discussions on doing loins as well as butts, for Thanksgiving. So I'll go with the short cure this time.

Reactions: daveomak
I go longer as well. After about day 10 I sort of keep an eye on the weather and my schedule and pick the best day for smoking. Here is what you can expect. This is the rib end of a loin, that has that second muscle.
View attachment 681243
I can see you use netting. I was looking at those and believe I need Size 16 for loins. Sound about right? And Size 20 for butts.

Reactions: daveomak
I can see you use netting. I was looking at those and believe I need Size 16 for loins. Sound about right? And Size 20 for butts.
I bought size 28 that has an 8-3/8" working diameter and use it for loins, butts and picnic shoulders. In relaxed form it's 4" wide, so it's not as tight on a loin. But my reasoning with loins is that I can hang several in my drum, and the color comes out very even.
eXcDbSX.jpg

0MHVgcj.jpg

I use a 7" diameter stainless steel canister to hold the netting (with a knot on one end), and the meat slips right in.
xlrTjou.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky