• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

HAM.... easy peasy... no mess.... DISCLAIMER.. MONEY...

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Yup . You have to enable edit in the upper tool bar .

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 10, 2011
tried that and it says somebody else has it in edit mode... go back to read only ..

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Let me check mine . BRB .

I click on enable edit . Then I can enter the meat weight in lbs .

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
It still works for me Keith.

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 10, 2011
well.. I can't get it working... can you put in 8.38 lbs and PM me the results PLEASE ??

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Sorry for the bad pic.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
Now you just have to wait. This is a wonderful technique. I have a loin curing as we speak. HERE is my DaveOmak ham thread where I do a Picnic, a Butt and a Loin over 30 days or so.

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 I see you got your numbers .
I remembered there was a problem for some with the first one he posted . If you go to post 103 he has another version to down load . It really is handy to have . I use it for non curing phosphate injection too .

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
OK Dave ... I'm ready to tackle this tomorrow.. I have all the ingredients except canning/pickling salt... I do have Kosher sea salt and kosher salt... which one would be best for a substitute ?? I have a 8.38 lb whole picnic .. Nowhere does it say it's been enhanced already... all natural ... I was looking for a calculator or something to determine how much of each ingredient to use ?? Can you help me out here with the proper amounts of each ???

Thanks
Most any salt is good to use if one goes by weight and not volume.

Good luck and hopefully you will have them asking to do it again

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 10, 2011
Thanks for the help everybody... I'm going to cut back on the salt amount though as I am not a big fan of salt ... just how much to cut back is going to be the question ...

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
What was the salt originally calculate to be ???

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
What does the ham weigh ???

Is it enhanced ???

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 10, 2011
Dave.. it was not enhanced.. 8.38 lbs ... 75g of salt called for.. cut it back to 50g ... just broke my syringe trying to poke through the skin... gotta make a mad dash and try to find another one...

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 10, 2011
ok.. got it all injected and in the fridge for a nap...

Listen up ... DO NOT mix ingredients in a red solo cup and try to fill syringe... poked a hole in the cup with the needle... lost a little bit of liquid... hope it will be ok.. think i will let it go a few more days (7-8) for that reason ...

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I use a Mason jar so I can give it a good shake . Also found out that longer time curing seems to make it more tender . I'll be watching . You are in for a treat . Best ham I've ever eaten .

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.