Bad City Ham?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Rulhman is a down vote for sure. I’ve only seen some of his recipes, and they mostly make no curing sense. Just a writer trying to make money on a book.

Reactions: Culinary Otter
Does the color of the fat around the artery indicate this ham is bad?

I just completed my first wet/city cured ham followed by hot smoking. The ham was then frozen.

I followed this recipe, adjusted to the weight of the ham, and wet cured in a cooler.
  • 1 (5-pound) ham, uncured and uncooked
  • 2 litres of water
  • 3/4 cup kosher salt
  • 1 cup turbinado sugar
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 tablespoon Insta Cure No. 1 pink salt
I am new here but I would like to add, Youtube is a source of information also. I searched wet curing a Holiday ham and wet curing a green ham. Overall I found it somewhat confusing but I had gained some knowledge then I came here for more personal guidance but I eneded up with a good ham.
Our walmart started selling picnic roast, around 11lb's with the skin on it and no added cure are salts . Thats a cheap way to practise before a holiday cook with friends and family coming over.

One thing I learned here is it better to weigh your ingredients than measure it by volume.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky