Want to make sure I have this right...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

steve0617

Original poster
May 11, 2014
Weigh the piece of skinned belly in grams.

Using:

0.25% cure #1
1.5% non-iodized salt
0.75% sugar

as the formula, create a rub of these ingredients by weight against the grams of the belly. Add whatever flavors in whatever amount I wish (maple syrup, dark brown sugar, whatever). Add all to the bag and squeeze the air out. Keep in a 34 odd degree refrigerator for 14 or so days, turning and massaging each day. Rinse, back in the fridge for a day on a rack then hot smoke to 150* internal.

The sugars/flavors don't affect the safety/cure time and the pink salt is fully absorbed/deactivated within that 14 days.

Do I have that all correct?

Sounds about right to me. I always double check myself with the digging dog calculator...Usually 2-3 times just to make sure I have the numbers right.

Jim

Reactions: DRKsmoking
the digging dog calculator...
Seems to be gone.

'This site is temporarily unavailable.
If you manage this site and have a question about why the site is not available, please contact NetFirms directly.'

well I'll be darned......been a while since ive used it.
Hang tight....Someone else will chime in.

Jim

Correct.
0.25% Cure#1
1.5% non-iodized salt
0.75% sugar

Apply this mixture first and any additional spices after.

14 days is a good number for cure time.

No need to rinse after curing, just let it sit on an open rack over night to dry off.

On the smoking, if not cold smoking, 145° is all you need to go to for a fully cooked edible product for warm smoking.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Seems to be gone.

'This site is temporarily unavailable.
If you manage this site and have a question about why the site is not available, please contact NetFirms directly.'
uh oh, some people may have to actually start doing their own math lol

Yes, you have it right. If you will post your belly pieces weight we can help you confirm the amounts for each, if this is your first time this would be a good thing anyway. Also if you are going to add things like syrup or honey, thats all fine but then I would suggest a gentle rinse and dry after the cure before smoking, the syrup gets messy. I also will add that 10 days is my minimum cure time but often pull at 12 days. 14 days is the preferred time but 21 days sometimes happens as well. So think of the cure time as a window between 10 and 21 days. This helps make things work with a busy work schedule or life events.

Yes, you have it right. If you will post your belly pieces weight we can help you confirm the amounts for each, if this is your first time this would be a good thing anyway. Also if you are going to add things like syrup or honey, thats all fine but then I would suggest a gentle rinse and dry after the cure before smoking, the syrup gets messy. I also will add that 10 days is my minimum cure time but often pull at 12 days. 14 days is the preferred time but 21 days sometimes happens as well. So think of the cure time as a window between 10 and 21 days. This helps make things work with a busy work schedule or life events.
I've made the Amazing Ribs maple one several times but I wanted to try a little more flavor/cure time to get more flavors into the end product but wasn't sure if the extras affecting the cure time/safety...

I've made the Amazing Ribs maple one several times but I wanted to try a little more flavor/cure time to get more flavors into the end product but wasn't sure if the extras affecting the cure time/safety...
Nope, they don’t. Let it ride. You will be rewarded for the patience.

Reactions: DougE
Hey Jim, I’m a living AI version of a cure spreadsheet, many others here are too, so just post it up and we will help you confirm from multiple members, better to me than blind trust in a internet calculator. JS.
Well, I expect you're capable of doing some percentage math being a nurse and all lol
Believe me I'll be asking for a double check on my math....Hate to waste time and money! And run the risk of making someone sick.

Jim

Clarifying one other thing.

The only thing that truly matters is the cure #1 weight against the belly weight. That has to be perfect. But literally everything else is whatever I feel like adding for flavor and has no impact on the safety of the curing process. Yes?

It simply adds to the flavor but doesn't impact the cure process/safety at all, correct?

Reactions: JLeonard

The only thing that truly matters is the cure #1 weight against the belly weight. That has to be perfect. But literally everything else is whatever I feel like adding for flavor and has no impact on the safety of the curing process. Yes?

It simply adds to the flavor but doesn't impact the cure process/safety at all, correct?
Also salt. Salt is what drives the process. Fueling Around Fueling Around does some low salt cures but pushes out his cure time a lot. For the 14 day or so cure I do, I would not go below 1.5% total salt. The recipe you are using is the same as I use and is 1.75% total salt.

It’s not exactly Willy Nilly on any of it, but that said, salt and cure #1 are the drivers of curing. You need to keep the cure #1 at .25% to meat weight. Salt can range from 1.5-3.0% to meat weight. The sugars and aromatics are all up to you. I apply sugar at a range of .5-1.0% but you can run that up to 6% if you like that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky