• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

HAM.... easy peasy... no mess.... DISCLAIMER.. MONEY...

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 10, 2011
Like the mason jar idea... Another thing I did.... The liquid in the bag (as I was injecting down inside a 2 1/2 gal. bag) I would pour back into the cup and reinject until all liquid was in the meat... So I feel good about saturation in and around the bone ...

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
Like the mason jar idea... Another thing I did.... The liquid in the bag (as I was injecting down inside a 2 1/2 gal. bag) I would pour back into the cup and reinject until all liquid was in the meat... So I feel good about saturation in and around the bone ...
Yes this is a good plan. I give the meat about 10 minutes in between Re-injections. I think it's the phosphates that cause the injection to thicken. I notice the same thing with competition brisket injections.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
JD, morning..... OK.... The calculator you are using defaults to 2% salt...
I find 2% salt is too salty for my liking..
I've tested and like 1.75% salt... along with the 0.25% cure#1, the TOTAL salt is 2%... along with 1% sugar, I can't taste the salt...
8.38# ham would have used 67 grams of salt..

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 10, 2011
Thanks Dave for the help.. I ended up only using 50g of salt.. we'll see what happens... will adjust next time if needed ...

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 10, 2011
OK then... picnic has been under cure since last Sun. .. will be 7 days tomorrow...

Now comes my dilemma ... Being that it won't be needed for 2 weeks (for the S. FL. Gathering)... Wanting to know the best way to go about this... vac seal now.. hot smoke at Gathering... warm smoke (low temp) now and reheat at gathering... Like Dave did here >>> https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...-no-mess-disclaimer-money.276489/post-1844797 .... or something different... ??

And then.. what's going to be the best practice for storing it for this 2 week wait... vac seal and refreeze... vac seal and keep in fridge... something different .. ?? If I even have a bag big enough to vac seal it...

Looking forward to y'alls response...

Thanks

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Hey Jack, if your fridge is 38 or lower, the ham will be good for another week... Then I would smoke it... maybe to 140-145 and hold for a couple hours to pasteurize it...
Are you going to slice it for cold cuts ?? with crackers and cheese or what ??
If so, slice it, vac pack the slices and sous-vide at 138-140 until it's pasteurized again... then it will keep for weeks at 134F..
If you want to serve it whole, I don't know other than freezing it..

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.