Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
One of these days I will do these. I am with Al and much prefer dill flower heads and my parent's house is loaded also with grapes/grape leaves too... As a homebrewer I have calcium chloride "pickle crisp" and also calcium hydroxide "pickle lime" and will do some testing for you guys. http://extension.missouri.edu/franklin/documents/QFK/10AugustQFK.pdf

EDIT also plan to try some lactic acid as well.

One of these days I will do these. I am with Al and much prefer dill flower heads and my parent's house is loaded also with grapes/grape leaves too... As a homebrewer I have calcium chloride "pickle crisp" and also calcium hydroxide "pickle lime" and will do some testing for you guys. http://extension.missouri.edu/franklin/documents/QFK/10AugustQFK.pdf

EDIT also plan to try some lactic acid as well.

Be interested to see your results, however I have been using alum forever and probably will not change.
Al

I made a batch of your pickles around the end of January. They stare at me in the fridge every time I go to get a beer. Well yesterday I just couldn't take it anymore. I popped one of the jars of regular ones and then a jar that I added jalapenos and habaneros to. These were by far the best pickles I have ever had. I think a couple more months would have been perfect as far as dill flavor and crispness but luckily I have 7 more jars from that batch and then 9 more jars from a batch I did in February plus some asparagus I used this recipe with. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing the recipe! Will def be making another batch soon so I don't run out!

Reactions: chopsaw
I made a batch of your pickles around the end of January. They stare at me in the fridge every time I go to get a beer. Well yesterday I just couldn't take it anymore. I popped one of the jars of regular ones and then a jar that I added jalapenos and habaneros to. These were by far the best pickles I have ever had. I think a couple more months would have been perfect as far as dill flavor and crispness but luckily I have 7 more jars from that batch and then 9 more jars from a batch I did in February plus some asparagus I used this recipe with. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing the recipe! Will def be making another batch soon so I don't run out!

That is awesome!
It really makes me feel good to hear that!!:emoji_sunglasses:
Al

Reactions: timstalltaletav
When you use the vacuum sealer gadget with mason jar lids, do you just leave the device on there after sealing or remove it and then screw the ring on?

Just tried it and the lid did not stay on. Standard size, not wide mouth. I went ahead and used the regular vacuum container for now but would still appreciate any suggestions.

Just pouring the nearly boiling solution over my pickles seems to create a pretty strong suction. Does the vacuum sealer pull a stronger vacuum?

Cucumbers are going nuts in the garden right now and I love pickles. Just hate waiting for that goodness!

Thanks.

Last edited:
When you use the vacuum sealer gadget with mason jar lids, do you just leave the device on there after sealing or remove it and then screw the ring on? You take the device off & the lid stays on, then you just screw the ring on.

Just tried it and the lid did not stay on. Standard size, not wide mouth. I went ahead and used the regular vacuum container for now but would still appreciate any suggestions. It only works with wide mouth jars.

Just pouring the nearly boiling solution over my pickles seems to create a pretty strong suction. Does the vacuum sealer pull a stronger vacuum? Yes the sealer will pull a much stronger vacuum, depending on what model sealer you have . Mine pulls 27.5.

Cucumbers are going nuts in the garden right now and I love pickles. Just hate waiting for that goodness! I leave mine under vacuum 5-6 days & they are perfect for our taste. Then I release the vacuum, and they will continue to pick up more flavor, but at a much slower rate. They will last over a year in the fridge without getting soft. Hope this helps!
Al

Thanks. I just read some reviews that said the regular size lid model doesn't work well but the widemouth model does.

The Foodsaver kit that I bought has both size lids in it.

Guess I need some widemouth jars now. I have 8-10 regular ones.

Appreciate the feedback!

This might be the best recipe I've picked up on this site thus far. This is about the 50th batch of these I've made over the past few years.

Perfect snack on a hot day with a cold Chesterfield while the whole chicken does its thing on the Weber Kettle.

Attachments

• IMG_20190630_165216575.jpg
    IMG_20190630_165216575.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 11
This might be the best recipe I've picked up on this site thus far. This is about the 50th batch of these I've made over the past few years.

Perfect snack on a hot day with a cold Chesterfield while the whole chicken does its thing on the Weber Kettle.

Thank you Tim!
That makes me real happy!!
Al

Reactions: timstalltaletav
The struggle was real. I have 2 jars that I let go under vacuum for 3 months! Tonight, that ends!

View attachment 400244

WOW!
I bet those are gonna be real strong tasting!
The longest I have ever kept them under vacuum was 6 days.
Although I have had them without vacuum in the fridge for over a year & they get stronger, but are still nice & crispy.
Al

Gotta try the Vac , I've got about 8 Quarts in the fridge now (Old Way) Best Dang Pickle recipe ever.

Gary

Reactions: chopsaw
WOW!
I bet those are gonna be real strong tasting!
The longest I have ever kept them under vacuum was 6 days.
Although I have had them without vacuum in the fridge for over a year & they get stronger, but are still nice & crispy.
Al

I'm betting they'll be "flavorful" They really took on a nice color too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky