1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER

Discussion in 'Canning & Storage' started by SmokinAl, Feb 9, 2016.

1. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That's awesome . Just be careful how you arrange that plate of goodies .

Steve H likes this.
  2. zwiller

zwiller Master of the Pit OTBS Member

One of these days I will do these. I am with Al and much prefer dill flower heads and my parent's house is loaded also with grapes/grape leaves too... As a homebrewer I have calcium chloride "pickle crisp" and also calcium hydroxide "pickle lime" and will do some testing for you guys. http://extension.missouri.edu/franklin/documents/QFK/10AugustQFK.pdf

EDIT also plan to try some lactic acid as well.

3. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Be interested to see your results, however I have been using alum forever and probably will not change.
    Al

4. SmokinVOLfan

SmokinVOLfan Master of the Pit

I made a batch of your pickles around the end of January. They stare at me in the fridge every time I go to get a beer. Well yesterday I just couldn't take it anymore. I popped one of the jars of regular ones and then a jar that I added jalapenos and habaneros to. These were by far the best pickles I have ever had. I think a couple more months would have been perfect as far as dill flavor and crispness but luckily I have 7 more jars from that batch and then 9 more jars from a batch I did in February plus some asparagus I used this recipe with. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing the recipe! Will def be making another batch soon so I don't run out!

chopsaw likes this.
  5. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That is awesome!
    It really makes me feel good to hear that!!:emoji_sunglasses:
    Al

6. kelbro

kelbro Meat Mopper

When you use the vacuum sealer gadget with mason jar lids, do you just leave the device on there after sealing or remove it and then screw the ring on?

Just tried it and the lid did not stay on. Standard size, not wide mouth. I went ahead and used the regular vacuum container for now but would still appreciate any suggestions.

Just pouring the nearly boiling solution over my pickles seems to create a pretty strong suction. Does the vacuum sealer pull a stronger vacuum?

Cucumbers are going nuts in the garden right now and I love pickles. Just hate waiting for that goodness!

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 5:22 AM
  7. SmokinAl

8. kelbro

kelbro Meat Mopper

Thanks. I just read some reviews that said the regular size lid model doesn't work well but the widemouth model does.

The Foodsaver kit that I bought has both size lids in it.

Guess I need some widemouth jars now. I have 8-10 regular ones.

Appreciate the feedback!