1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER

Discussion in 'Canning & Storage' started by SmokinAl, Feb 9, 2016.

1. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That's awesome . Just be careful how you arrange that plate of goodies .

Steve H likes this.
  2. zwiller

zwiller Master of the Pit OTBS Member

One of these days I will do these. I am with Al and much prefer dill flower heads and my parent's house is loaded also with grapes/grape leaves too... As a homebrewer I have calcium chloride "pickle crisp" and also calcium hydroxide "pickle lime" and will do some testing for you guys. http://extension.missouri.edu/franklin/documents/QFK/10AugustQFK.pdf

EDIT also plan to try some lactic acid as well.

3. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Be interested to see your results, however I have been using alum forever and probably will not change.
    Al

4. SmokinVOLfan

SmokinVOLfan Smoking Fanatic

I made a batch of your pickles around the end of January. They stare at me in the fridge every time I go to get a beer. Well yesterday I just couldn't take it anymore. I popped one of the jars of regular ones and then a jar that I added jalapenos and habaneros to. These were by far the best pickles I have ever had. I think a couple more months would have been perfect as far as dill flavor and crispness but luckily I have 7 more jars from that batch and then 9 more jars from a batch I did in February plus some asparagus I used this recipe with. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing the recipe! Will def be making another batch soon so I don't run out!

chopsaw likes this.
  5. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That is awesome!
    It really makes me feel good to hear that!!:emoji_sunglasses:
    Al