Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looking forward to hearing how you like them after that long under vacuum.
For us, I think they would be too strong.
Al

I'll let you know shortly. Came home from work late. And hit the bed after a quick dinner. I am, however, finishing up another batch of pickles and Jalapenos this morning. Pics shortly....

Ok, I opened a jar. And had a couple. They were stronger. Though, not as much as I thought they would be. Still just as crunchy. I think I'll just keep them under vacuum until I'm ready to eat them.

P7122657.jpg

Reactions: chopsaw
My batch I made this morning. Went by the recipe. Chilled the cukes for a few hours. Ended up with 5 pints of Garlic pickles. 1 quart of spicy pickles. And I did a quart of Jalapenos.
P7122650.jpg

P7122654.jpg

P7122655.jpg

Reactions: timstalltaletav
Just opened a jar of jalapeno slices last night from last August . Good stuff .

Gosh I may have to rethink my time frame & go a little longer under vacuum.
It sounds like you guys really like the longer time under vacuum.
Next batch I will give it a try!
Al

Same here I get mine from Walmart in 2# bags.
Just check & make sure they are very hard & firm.
Personally I like the smaller ones, but if all they have are the big ones then they work too, just make sure they are very hard & firm. You will not get crispy hard pickles if you start with soft cukes.
Al

Same here I get mine from Walmart in 2# bags.
Just check & make sure they are very hard & firm.
Personally I like the smaller ones, but if all they have are the big ones then they work too, just make sure they are very hard & firm. You will not get crispy hard pickles if you start with soft cukes.
Al

As a caveat to this, I'm sure I'm not the only person who bought nice firm cucumbers and then had life happen. If my cucs soften a bit, I make bread-n-butter pickles out of those. Great use for otherwise "select" grade pickles!

As a caveat to this, I'm sure I'm not the only person who bought nice firm cucumbers and then had life happen. If my cucs soften a bit, I make bread-n-butter pickles out of those. Great use for otherwise "select" grade pickles!

My neighbor keeps asking me to make some bread-n-butter pickles, but I don't have a recipe. Would you mind sharing yours?
Al

My neighbor keeps asking me to make some bread-n-butter pickles, but I don't have a recipe. Would you mind sharing yours?
Al

I use this one from Alton Brown. They always come out good. I actually just did a batch last Sunday. I use the vacuum containers for these too just to move things along a little faster.

Recipe:

AB's B&B's

Ingredients
  1. 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
  2. 2 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced
  3. 1 cup water, filtered if possible
  4. 1 cup cider vinegar
  5. 1 1/2 cups sugar
  6. 1 pinch kosher salt
  7. 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds (not brown)
  8. 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
  9. 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
  10. 1/2 teaspoon pickling spice
Instructions
  1. Combine the onion and cucumber slices in a clean, 1-quart spring-top jar.
  2. Combine everything else in a 2-quart saucepan and bring to a boil. Drop the heat and simmer for 4 full minutes.
  3. Slowly pour the hot pickling liquid over the onion and cucumber slices, completely filling the jar. (A large ladle is a good tool for the job.)
  4. Cool to room temperature before topping off with any remaining pickle (that is, the liquid) and sealing the jar.
  5. Refrigerate for 1 week before serving and finish them within 2 months. Remember that these pickles are not actually preserved, so they need to be kept refrigerated.

I used this recipe once. I forgot about posting it. I don't eat B&B pickles often, usually just for making a relish or on a sammie from time to time. Just make sure you rinse off the salt good.
https://www.browneyedbaker.com/bread-and-butter-pickles/

I use this one from Alton Brown. They always come out good. I actually just did a batch last Sunday. I use the vacuum containers for these too just to move things along a little faster.

Recipe:

AB's B&B's

Ingredients
  1. 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
  2. 2 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced
  3. 1 cup water, filtered if possible
  4. 1 cup cider vinegar
  5. 1 1/2 cups sugar
  6. 1 pinch kosher salt
  7. 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds (not brown)
  8. 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
  9. 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
  10. 1/2 teaspoon pickling spice
Instructions
  1. Combine the onion and cucumber slices in a clean, 1-quart spring-top jar.
  2. Combine everything else in a 2-quart saucepan and bring to a boil. Drop the heat and simmer for 4 full minutes.
  3. Slowly pour the hot pickling liquid over the onion and cucumber slices, completely filling the jar. (A large ladle is a good tool for the job.)
  4. Cool to room temperature before topping off with any remaining pickle (that is, the liquid) and sealing the jar.
  5. Refrigerate for 1 week before serving and finish them within 2 months. Remember that these pickles are not actually preserved, so they need to be kept refrigerated.

These are ready as soon as they cool down.

Sweet Pickle Chips

1 lb cucumbers, sliced 1/4"
1/4 lb sliced white onions
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1 cup sugar
1 tsp celery seeds
1/2 cup plus 2 TBS white wine or champagne vinegar
1 tsp allspice berries
1/2 tsp ground turmeric

Directions:
1) Combine the cucumbers, onions, cider vinegar, salt, mustard seeds and 2 TBS of sugar in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Drain the liquid and transfer to jars.

2) Combine the remaining sugar, celery seeds, white wine vinegar, allspice and tumeric in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour the hot mixture over the cucumbers and onions. Allow to cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate.

WOW!!
Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the quick response.
Definitely gonna make a batch the next time I go to the store & they have some good looking cukes! I'm not a big fan of sweet pickles, but everyone else around here loves them, especially Judy!!
Al

I'm not a big fan of sweet pickles, but everyone else around here loves them, especially Judy!!
If you never had these you might give them a try .
Nathans sweet horseradish chips . I just got an old time recipe for horseradish pickles , but the Nathans are worth buying . Just thought I would mention it .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky