Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you never had these you might give them a try .
Nathans sweet horseradish chips . I just got an old time recipe for horseradish pickles , but the Nathans are worth buying . Just thought I would mention it .

I second this recommendation! These are great pickles!

I've seen them at the store. Just haven't tried any. Might get a jar.

Ok fellas, next time I'm at the store I'll look for them.
Thanks, Al

I couldn't take all the hype anymore, I had to try a batch of Al's garlic pickles. I did have to cheat and buy them at Walmart, as it will be a while for mine yet. I also had to go the vacuum route as I would have a hard time waiting 6 weeks. :emoji_wink:. 3 days will be long enough.
I am going to give you a "thanks" in advance Al. There wouldn't be 283 posts here if they were bad !
20190717_113515.jpg

Reactions: Steve H
I couldn't take all the hype anymore, I had to try a batch of Al's garlic pickles. I did have to cheat and buy them at Walmart, as it will be a while for mine yet. I also had to go the vacuum route as I would have a hard time waiting 6 weeks. :emoji_wink:. 3 days will be long enough.
I am going to give you a "thanks" in advance Al. There wouldn't be 283 posts here if they were bad !
View attachment 400783

They look great! Have fun waiting 3 days.....;)

View attachment 400783

If they are not strong enough in 3 days, just vac them back up & let them go another couple of days. I find that I like mine at 5-6 days under vacuum. I get mine at Walmart too, but sometimes they are out of stock.
Al

I just picked up 2 more cases of jars there this week. Soon I'll have more pickles than beer in the beer fridge!!!

I have the same problem, when my dill plants are flowering I make a lot of pickles, but I give a lot of them away to my friends too!
Al

WOW, is all I can say. Broke open the jar of pickles today and had some (many) with my walleye sandwich for lunch. They are absolutely fantastic Al. I now know what I'm doing with my cuc's as they start producing. I wish I had my own dill growing also.
Question, can the jar lids normally be used again after vacuum? Or does It screw up the seal? It took a few tries, but I did get in to seal again now. Just curious...

Reactions: chopsaw
WOW, is all I can say. Broke open the jar of pickles today and had some (many) with my walleye sandwich for lunch. They are absolutely fantastic Al. I now know what I'm doing with my cuc's as they start producing. I wish I had my own dill growing also.
Question, can the jar lids normally be used again after vacuum? Or does It screw up the seal? It took a few tries, but I did get in to seal again now. Just curious...

If the gasket looks undamaged then you can reuse it. Just wash it in hot soapy water and rinse well. When I reuse the lid. I'll check it in a day or two to see the jar is still holding the vacuum. Also, make sure the lip of the jar is clean and hasn't any chips in it. I've damaged a couple of the jars when opening them.
I get replacement lids and bands. 100 of each for 25.00 So, I'm not to concerned about throwing them out if I have any doubts over them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ball-Mason...789959?hash=item4435499187:g:yqkAAOSwAWNcXK7C

AC52AC52-4883-4526-9369-AB163E2110F0.jpeg

Count me in the group! Made my first batch tonight. Almost broke my foodsaver trying to figure out how to attach the hose until my better have said to just attach it to the white lid and i dont need the hose it came with. Oops.

Now the waiting game!

I find myself wanting to shake the jars bc all the goodness is at the bottom but i guess it settles there after shaking them anyway.

I've damaged a couple of the jars when opening them.
Not sure how you open them , but I slide a spoon along the top thread on the jar until it reaches a narrow gap at the lid . Slight twist against the lid , pops right open . Never come in contact with the mouth of the jar .

Not sure how you open them , but I slide a spoon along the top thread on the jar until it reaches a narrow gap at the lid . Slight twist against the lid , pops right open . Never come in contact with the mouth of the jar .

Same here. Still damaged a couple. Maybe I was a tad impatient getting to the goods inside!

View attachment 401283

Count me in the group! Made my first batch tonight. Almost broke my foodsaver trying to figure out how to attach the hose until my better have said to just attach it to the white lid and i dont need the hose it came with. Oops.

Now the waiting game!

I find myself wanting to shake the jars bc all the goodness is at the bottom but i guess it settles there after shaking them anyway.

I gently shake and roll the jars to get everything missed after I vacuum them. I want to make sure I get the Alum dissolved.

My cucumbers produced very well this year. I made up about 10-12 jars of these and have already gone through 2 of them. Great method for those of us that are impatient! Also works on the whole cukes (small pickling size).

Glad to hear that everybody is enjoying the pickles!
I re-use the lids several times, & they always seem to seal fine.
I do check them after a day or two to make sure they are still sealed.
I just get my fingernails under the edge of the lid & pull.
They break the seal pretty easy that way.
Al

OK so I made 6 pints of pickles over the weekend and today i realized that i used the amount of Alum from the large canisters in my small jars. Are these going to be ok, or should i throw them out and try a new batch?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky