1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER

Discussion in 'Canning & Storage' started by SmokinAl, Feb 9, 2016.

1. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

ENJOY!
    Al

2. bluebombersfan

bluebombersfan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Gotta try these!! They look amazing! Always searching for an awesome recipe thanks for posting!!

3. hondabbq

hondabbq Meat Mopper

Nice to see another Pegger in here!!!!

4. How long do these last when refrigerated?

5. Steve H

Steve H Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Same as any other pickle. The longest I've had a jar in the fridge was only a couple of weeks. They go pretty darn fast, the wife and me really like em!
    I also vacuum seal my jars to help preserve them.

6. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

They will last 1 year in the fridge & that is without vacuum. After a year they start to soften up.
    I know this because I made a big batch a couple of years ago when my dill was flowering & they were still good at the one year point, then they started to get a little softer. It took 1 year & 3 months to eat all of them. They really just keep getting better flavor as they age.
    Al

7. Steve H

Hey @SmokinAl
    Quick question. I've been throwing away the brine once the pickles are gone. I was wondering if you could reuse it for another batch. Your thoughts?

8. rexster314

rexster314 Smoking Fanatic

I pretty much use the same recipe, but I put the mixture in a sealing bag in my vac chamber for more of a compressed texture. Pickles stay crispy for months in a sealed, vacuumed bag.After 4-5 days, I'll put them in a canister/jar for storing in the fridge

9. SmokinAl

I throw mine away too, but I would think it would work for another batch.
    My wife uses some of it to make rye bread with.
    The recipe she has calls for dill pickle juice in the bread, so I save some for that but throw the rest out.
    Let me know if you try it.
    Al

10. Steve H

I had a few cukes left. I thought just throwing it out was a waste. I tried the juice. And it tasted good. So I decided to make sliced pickles. I just added a touch more vinegar. I'll let you know in a few days.

reuse.jpg

11. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

@Steve H Starting at post 125 , re using brine was talked about , tried with results and comments . If you're interested in what was said .
    I use mine for brining chicken breast . Makes a chic fillet type sandwich .

12. Steve H

I over looked that. Thanks!

13. SmokinAl

Using it as a chicken brine really sounds good to me!
    Thanks for the idea Chop!
    Al

chopsaw likes this.
  14. SmokinAl

Yea this thread has been going on so long, I didn't remember it either!
    So I guess it doesn't work very well for pickles, but Chops brine idea sounds pretty good to me!
    Al

15. Steve H

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. I'll know more in a day or two. If not, then I'm out just a few cukes anyway. Wasted more then that with last weeks goof!
    I never thought about using it in other ways like for meat. Sounds interesting.

16. chopsaw

@SmokinAl boneless skin less breast . Cross cut the thin tail part off , then rip the thicker half into 2 pieces over it's thickness . 3 peices out of a large breast 5/8 thick the size of a burger bun . Soak in the juice 3 hours is good . I've gone 6 ,, over night is to long . Starts to break down the meat . I dry , flour ( no salt in the flour ) and fry in a pan . Eat on a bun . You could grill also , never tried it .
    That's just how I do it . Please delete if you don't want this in your pickle thread .

17. SmokinAl

Thanks Chop, I'm definitely going to try this.
    It seems like a big waste to throw the brine out!
    I think it will work in my Air Fryer.
    Al

18. Steve H

Keep us informed Al. If it works. I'm going to try it as well.

19. SmokinAl

I definitely will, but I have been out of pickles for a couple of months.
    I have been waiting for my dill plants to flower, and I just made a new batch yesterday.
    WM sells pickling cukes in 2 lb. bags & sliced up, one bag fills a 2 quart Mason jar.
    So I got a chance to use my new Ball jar vacuum sealer.
    That thing is just too cool. I kept my vac machine at the same setting which is 27.5 & I was afraid it wouldn't take that much vacuum, but it did. The lid is a little sucked in, but it has a nice tight seal.
    No jalapenos this time, just good old garlic dills!
    IMG_0347.jpg

I thought they were a little tighter packed in there, but after looking at this photo, it looks like I could have put a few more in there, but I have a big onion slice on top so all the pickles will stay in the brine!
    Al

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019 at 7:41 AM
    Steve H likes this.
  20. chopsaw

Looks good . The jar sealer is handy for sure . Now I want a pickle for breakfast .