First run on a new 22" kettle - Drum sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
And now a look behind the scenes of clifish's first run. The photos he didn't show us.

Inaugural starting the grill:
1647269112614.png

First flip:
1647269365150.png

Ma, I got this totally under control:
1647269640620.png

So this is what they meant by using a bad bag of lump.
1647269812591.png

First lunch attempt:
1647269251206.png

I'll just tell them it's that blackend rub:

1647270037117.png

Cilfishs neighbor Betty comes over to help out
1647270143885.png

Finally calling it a night.

1647270683554.png
''

Chris

Man, that's a great first cook! Though the snake method is usually used for low and slow, you pulled it off like a champ. Most, including myself, cook chicken hot to screaming hot 325* to ~ 500*. Your Vortex will be your friend for chicken.
This is the smoke flavor I have been chasing since I started smoking!
Yup . . . you're hooked.

Reactions: clifish and chopsaw
Looks good from here!!.. Nice first run on the new kettle!!.. I have to agree with chopsaw chopsaw on both taking them up close to 200° and the rendered skin.. .. Crispy skin is good and all but I really like tender bite through skin on thighs and drums off the grill.. And the higher finish temps provide for clean bones!! Cant wait to see what you do next on it!!

Simply gorgeous Cliff. As others have said, beware...you're delving into territory from which there is no return. Those kettles are so versatile and there are so many toys available for them, they could easily be a stand-alone cooker with none others needed. Side note: I have the rotisserie set up for mine and absolutely love it!! I got the Slow n Sear also and with that you can run a very long, low, slow smoke with no worries about running out of charcoal.

Robert

Simply gorgeous Cliff. As others have said, beware...you're delving into territory from which there is no return. Those kettles are so versatile and there are so many toys available for them, they could easily be a stand-alone cooker with none others needed. Side note: I have the rotisserie set up for mine and absolutely love it!! I got the Slow n Sear also and with that you can run a very long, low, slow smoke with no worries about running out of charcoal.

Robert

The rotisserie is a must have!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky