Spinning a Duck

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
If the weather breaks like it’s supposed to, I’m planning on spinning a duck on the Webber kettle. Really never have messed with farm raised duck they usually are $$$$$, but I found some about 3.5# for $25.00 still pricey but doable. It is a 12% solution duck or “enhanced “.

Looking for seasoning advice and general cooking guidelines. I will truss it, I will score the skin on the breast, and I cannot do any kind of orange sauce because Im feeding someone with an orange allergy.

I will place an aluminum pan under to catch the duck fat gold and use it with potatoes. Otherwise any and all advice is welcome. What say you SMF?

Never dun any domestic fowl but have cooked wild duck many ways.
Now I’ve never spun one but in general fruit pairs well - as in stuffed w fruit and roasted. The ones I smoked whole did well with fruit wood on my old stick burner.

Reactions: JLinza
I have baked a few a long time ago, Liked it as well as chicken maybe a little more, cost prohibitive is my only thought for doing more, 1 day when I get a rotti things will change lol. that's another rabbit hole/itch to be scratched.

Lots of fat to deal with. Yup I'd score the breast area. Watch out for fire in the pan. Put just a tad bit of water in it. Similar to spinning a turkey, best not to stuff when using a rotisserie. Believe there can be a food safety issue depending on stuffing ingredients. Do some research, fruits maybe ok?

Sounds like you have a good plan. Here are a couple old threads to look at:

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I've done plenty of wild duck, but I do them quite different. I don't have any advice that I can think of. But curious to see your results.

Sounds like you have a good plan. Here are a couple old threads to look at:

Thanks and stay tuned, it’s happening today. Will post up the results.

Reactions: mike243
Right or wrong, the duck is on the spinner. Will finish with an apricot soy glaze.

IMG_1965.jpeg

Eric, the hot coals look like they're under you drip pan. Are you worried about burning the drippings?

Chris

The bird looks goofy because I trussed it tight, but the rib cage was collapsed during processing, so I couldn’t make it hold shape without stuffing the cavity real tight, and I didn’t want to do that. So this is a run over bird but should cook just fine.

Eric, the hot coals look like they're under you drip pan. Are you worried about burning the drippings?

Chris
Not under the drip pan at all Chris. Coals are all on the sides of the pan. It’s the angle of the pic.

Reactions: gmc2003
The bird looks goofy because I trussed it tight, but the rib cage was collapsed during processing, so I couldn’t make it hold shape without stuffing the cavity real tight, and I didn’t want to do that. So this is a run over bird but should cook just fine.
Looks pretty pristine for roadkill lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky