First run on a new 22" kettle - Drum sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I was stuck in the electric mode...next thing you know
1647400082337.png

lol

it attaches to the side so you can add liquid to the tray while smoking it basically makes a cheaper version of the slow n sear.

this a slow n sear
WFI on the water pan it does not fit the oem weber basket, going to decide if I want to return this or the weber basket and get the only fire basket?

Well that $ucks, any chance of Jimmy Rigg'in it to fit?

Chris

Well that $ucks, any chance of Jimmy Rigg'in it to fit?

Chris
I think I am going to return the Weber pans back to HD, they are too small anyway, probably made for the 18" Already ordered the only fire ones on Amazon, with the coupon they were cheaper anyway

Reactions: JeffB1961
Question for those who use baskets, I have 2 sets now a weber set and an only fire set. The only fire is built much better, higher and bigger than the weber.
IMG_3708(1).jpg

The above is the only fire, I like that they reach all the way up to the grill for capacity and bringing the coals closer to the chunks. What I am not sure about is there is only 8" between them
IMG_3709.jpg

The weber ones are almost 2" less in height than the other ones and have 10" between them, but are built very cheaply (maybe this just the Home depot versions?

Does this space matter when putting a rotiserie on? or should only one be used at a time?

I would think you have to be careful how much lit charcoal you put in the only fire baskets .

I have a set of Weber baskets that are 16 years old . Still going strong .
Are you going to use both when you rotisserie? You are probably right about the only fire holding too many coals, I was just afraid that the webers being 2" below grate height they would not get the chunks to smolder.

Are you going to use both when you rotisserie? You are probably right about the only fire holding too many coals, I was just afraid that the webers being 2" below grate height they would not get the chunks to smolder.
Put the wood chunks right in the basket , or sprinkle chips in them . I usually set the baskets under the opening in the grate . I have a set of tongs I keep outside that just get used to move charcoal around , wood chunks or spin hot grates .
I can set a wood chunk on the lit coal , then either leave it in there or move it .
I find that above it on the grate works pretty good .
Not sure how I'll set up the roto , but I've been looking out the window all day waiting for it .

That only fire basket will be good for long cooks . Use it like a SnS .

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Put the wood chunks right in the basket , or sprinkle chips in them . I usually set the baskets under the opening in the grate . I have a set of tongs I keep outside that just get used to move charcoal around , wood chunks or spin hot grates .
I can set a wood chunk on the lit coal , then either leave it in there or move it .
I find that above it on the grate works pretty good .
Not sure how I'll set up the roto , but I've been looking out the window all day waiting for it .

That only fire basket will be good for long cooks . Use it like a SnS .

yeah I don't want to keep both sets of them and I think the only fire will be too big/hot to use with the roto. I just set my roto up a couple minutes ago, runs really quiet and the fit seemed pretty good. I will probably spin a whole chicken Sunday to try it out (unless I can find a duck).
plans changed for people coming over on Sunday so the brisket style tri-tip will have to wait.

They are coming over Sat instead and the weather is supposed to be bad so I think I am going to do Steve H Steve H mom's pork dish he posted about earlier in the week.

• Love
Reactions: chopsaw and Steve H
looks like the only fires are no taller than a SnS and in videos i've seen most folks fill them up .
the SnS isn't on my radar but i'm considering a set of baskets .
if i go that route i'll go for the better build quality . everything isn't for everybody ;) .

I will probably spin a whole chicken Sunday
Mine just showed up . My plan was a whole bird Sunday too , but just heard I'm going to my Mom's .
Might try a pizza tomorrow . Dough is already mixed up .

Might need a set of baskets for the PA cabin .
You know you're going to want a kettle up there . Hmmmm I guess down there ,,, over there . You know what I mean .

yes it is up there from here...and you never know. Would not surprise me to find a 26 up there.

Reactions: chopsaw
Don't you take out the cooking rack when you use the rotisserie?

I've got some knock off side baskets at home. Stopped using them after the first time when I realized they were tin coated (galvanized) versus aluminized.
I could push them off the charcoal grate so they hugged the side of the kettle. Can you do the same with the Weber or uFire or does the bottom hit the kettle?

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
The Weber baskets have the contour of the kettle , the only fire does not . That's part of the reason the space in between is different .
I am going to keep the Weber ones and try it out using the roto tomorrow. did you set yours up yet?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky