First run on a new 22" kettle - Drum sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
Before start this I want to thank (in no particular order) chopsaw chopsaw , my NY transplant gmc2003 gmc2003 even though he is a Ranger fan...lol, bauchjw bauchjw , Brokenhandle Brokenhandle , J JeffB1961 , Fueling Around Fueling Around , JLeonard JLeonard , SecondHandSmoker SecondHandSmoker , motocrash motocrash for all your advice on buying this, humor, encouragement and advice. I know there are others but I would probably have to call out everyone on the forum.

So the first cook was chicken drum sticks, I decided to brine them with Oak Ridge BBQ Game changer brine.
2.jpg

In the bath for 1.5 hours
1.jpg

Washed them off and patted dry, then brushed with avocado oil and dusted with Jeff's original rub all around.
3.jpg

Started on the snake with hickory chunks split a little finer
4.jpg

Drums dropped on far side of the grill, open vent over the meat
5.jpg

It was a tough evening for this, in the 20's, windy, then it started to snow. Temps in the kettle maybe about 230 deg. This is where I need to gain experience, I probably should of used more coals to beef up the heat. Although SecondHandSmoker SecondHandSmoker smoker made me go out in a t-shirt and flip flops to close the top vent more to try and kick up the heat...lol smoke was still rolling nice
6.jpg

Drums getting there
7.jpg

Pulled @165 I would have liked a hotter some to really crisp the skin but was not happening tonight.
8.jpg

Plated with baked acorn squash and of course, for me, my Caribbean hot sauce.
9.jpg

This is the smoke flavor I have been chasing since I started smoking! I am not sure I will ever fire up the electric with a pellet tube again. The wife and I agreed the smoke flavor was awesome and not "biting" like the pellet tube. I think I am going to get the side trays with water attachment, vortex coming tomorrow. I also think I will get the expansion ring with rotisserie. I spun a duck on my grill with a pellet tube and it was very good but can't imagine what it would be like on this set up.

Thank you everyone for proving once again why I love this site and all the people and mods for making it happen.

Great work! Awesome first run on your new kettle! Congrats! It’s hard to beat a kettle and I don’t think a pellet grill ever will, especially with poultry. You’re gonna have a lot of fun with that snd mske some smazing food!

Reactions: clifish
You're gonna own that grill . Chicken looks great . You already know you needed a hotter fire . Love the fact that you brined the chicken .

Take your chicken parts ( thighs and legs ) to a higher internal temp . 175 / 185 . I like 190 / 200 , but start low and see what you like .
I know that was your first cook on a new grill in cold temps . Just a tip on temp for chicken parts .

Crispy skin is good , but rendered skin is awesome . Don't get hung up on the skin .

Just went back and looked at your finished pics . Made my mouth water .
Nice work man ,,,, really .

You're gonna own that grill . Chicken looks great . You already know you needed a hotter fire . Love the fact that you brined the chicken .

Take your chicken parts ( thighs and legs ) to a higher internal temp . 175 / 185 . I like 190 / 200 , but start low and see what you like .
I know that was your first cook on a new grill in cold temps . Just a tip on temp for chicken parts .

Crispy skin is good , but rendered skin is awesome . Don't get hung up on the skin .

Just went back and looked at your finished pics . Made my mouth water .
Nice work man ,,,, really .
Thanks for the kind words and advice. I would have loved to go higher but we did not eat until 8.30 and was hungry. Live and learn, still satisfied for the first cook. I have to learn to stop trying to perfectly time the cooks,, that is what a 140 deg oven is for.

Reactions: chopsaw
First cook, my A$$. It looks like a pro cooked that chicken. Great Job clifish;

Point for sure from the Rangers fan

Chris

I do root for the Islanders when they're not playing the Rangers.

• Haha
Great looking chicken and if that’s your first run on the new Weber, I’m looking forward to the second cook, you’re going to kick that things ass!

The more you cook on it you will figure it out. That chicken is a winner in my book! I need to get rid of my gasser grill on my patio. Its just collecting dust and taking up space. But be warned, you have stepped onto the slippery slope of being a kettle addict! Lots of toys you can buy for it!
Jim

First cook, my A$$. It looks like a pro cooked that chicken. Great Job clifish;

Point for sure from the Rangers fan

Chris

I do root for the Islanders when they're not playing the Rangers.
Thanks, Can't say I can say the same with the Rangers, them, the cowboys and any team Brady is on (I thought we were done with him) are always rooted against...lol

• Haha
Reactions: bigfurmn
Good looking Chicken. Have you looked at the Slow ‘N Sear®? I been thinking of getting one. Been some people here having really good luck with it.
Amazon has a water tray that will attach to the weber charcoal baskets (I think) the price of tray and weber baskets are only like $35 combined. Much cheaper than just the sns.

Reactions: chopsaw
The more you cook on it you will figure it out. That chicken is a winner in my book! I need to get rid of my gasser grill on my patio. Its just collecting dust and taking up space. But be warned, you have stepped onto the slippery slope of being a kettle addict! Lots of toys you can buy for it!
Jim
Thanks and I already am. Vortex coming today, getting a water tray to attach to the Weber baskets (basically making an SNS) I really think I am getting the expansion ring with rotisserie. I spun a duck low and slow on the gasser last month using a tube and it was great, can only imagine what it would be like on this.

Already told the wife the electric is going away for a while, will always keep the gasser for quick cooks and it is attached to the house natural gas so no propane fills needed.

Reactions: JLeonard
Thanks everyone for the likes and comments, very appreciated

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky