Double Smoked Ham - Kettle Style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well, I initially wanted to do turkey breast after seeing chopsaw chopsaw latest thread, but alas the local grocer didn't have any in stock. So, since I knew my backup plan was in my freezer already. I got it out, defrosted it and popped it on the kettle.

The backup plan wasn't the only thing that I popped on Friday. The trusty beer pole.
DSC03830.JPG

Here's the victim: A nice bone in butt, coming in at just over 9#.

DSC03824.JPG

Stripped of all her outside fat:

DSC03825.JPG

...and all gussied up in her honey and pineapple cover:
DSC03827.JPG

Fired up the 22" kettle for this one along with two charcoal baskets. Both baskets had a good size chunk of apple wood.
DSC03833.JPG

After a short spell and some basting with the pineapple juice:

DSC03838.JPG

Sliced it up this morning for it's repurposing: Slices on the left will be frozen for future dinners, bone for pea soup, and chunks for you'll see.
DSC03858.JPG

Chunks have been put thru the food processor for ham salad.
DSC03861.JPG

Later on, today I'll mix a little mayo, pepper, pickle juice, garlic and onion powder to the shredded ham. Double smoked ham salad one of my favorite sammies.

Thanks for putting up with me.

Chris

Last edited:
That looks and sounds absolutely fantastic Chris!! Very well done and nicely detailed thread. Love the pineapple. It goes great with the ham while cooking and it's even great to eat the rings along with the ham.

The trusty beer pole.
When I grow up I want a beer pole just like you :emoji_laughing:
Later on, today I'll mix a little mayo, pepper, garlic and onion powder to the shredded ham. Double smoked ham salad one of my favorite sammies.
We love this approach to ham salad also. Sounds like you make yours exactly the same way I do. got enough for ne extra sandwich?? :emoji_wink:
Thanks for putting up with me.
Aw shucks, you're pretty easy to put up with...even with that doggie boss meme you posted earlier :emoji_astonished:

Robert

I always sit up and try to pay attention when I see a post with that beer pole, I know it will be a good one and this is no exception. Nice garnish on that ham looks fantastic. And the ham salad sounds good to. I make a spread with leftover beef roast ran through the grinder with boiled eggs, cheese, pickles and then mixed with mayo and mustard for sandwich spread, I’ve not done the ham but it’s now in the to try list. Big like.

My wife always keeps a fresh bouquet of flowers in the living room.
Your ham would be a great center piece in a vase........lol
DSC03838.JPG

Nice work.....

That looks and sounds absolutely fantastic Chris!! Very well done and nicely detailed thread. Love the pineapple. It goes great with the ham while cooking and it's even great to eat the rings along with the ham.

When I grow up I want a beer pole just like you :emoji_laughing:

We love this approach to ham salad also. Sounds like you make yours exactly the same way I do. got enough for ne extra sandwich?? :emoji_wink:

Aw shucks, you're pretty easy to put up with...even with that doggie boss meme you posted earlier :emoji_astonished:

Robert
Thanks Robert, There's something about pineapple, honey and ham that's sooooo goooood. Now about that beer pole. You'll have to plant it soon. As they take forever to mature. You saw that doggie meme huh. I was tying to lighten up that thread.
I always sit up and try to pay attention when I see a post with that beer pole, I know it will be a good one and this is no exception. Nice garnish on that ham looks fantastic. And the ham salad sounds good to. I make a spread with leftover beef roast ran through the grinder with boiled eggs, cheese, pickles and then mixed with mayo and mustard for sandwich spread, I’ve not done the ham but it’s now in the to try list. Big like.
Appreciate it Edge, that beef spread sounds equally as good. I'm gonna give it a shot next time I do a roast.

Chris

Reactions: Brokenhandle
My wife always keeps a fresh bouquet of flowers in the living room.
Your ham would be a great center piece in a vase........lol
View attachment 637737
Nice work.....
Thank you Joe, It would look really good as a ctr. piece until the flies find it.
Looking good! I have some double smoked ham chunks in the freezer I was saving for beans but ham salad is sounding good :)
Thanks Mose, Homemade beans sound really good right about now, but if you go with the salad I don't think you'll be disappointed. Either way is a win-win.

Chris

Beautiful looking ham! The ham salad sounds delicious.
Thanks Bern, I really like DSH, but I look forward to the salad and pea soup.
Beautiful work there Chris, not a spec of waste! I'd put about half that ham into a batch of my split pea soup, love that stuff! RAY
Appreciate it Ray. There's still a goodly amount of ham on the bone, but I will be adding some slices to the soup if needed.

Chris

That looks fantastic Chris . The ham salad sounds great too . When you get the slices thawed out , dip some in warm BBQ sauce and make a sandwich .
View attachment 637738
Thanks Rich and it sounds like a solid plan. I use BBQ sauce when I do hamsteaks.
Looks Wunderbar, Chris!!!
Nice Job!
I'd be all over that !!
Like.

Bear
Appreciate it John. I still go back and reference your Ham threads.

Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
Alright I had to edit my original post to add pickle juice to the ham salad mix. Here is my sammy for tonight. I normally use rye bread when making these, but since I knew I had left-over hamburger rolls. I used them instead.

The salad all mixed up: I don't measure so it's all done by taste. First add a splash of pickle juice and mix it into the ham. Then add your seasonings and mix well. When you have it tasting the way you like - then add just enough mayo to hold it together.
DSC03862.JPG

Finished sammy. Lightly toasted roll, touch of mayo on both sides (heavier on the tomato side), slice of Swiss cheese and a good slice of tomato. Unfortunately, we're still not into tomato season here. So, this one is just a grocer's vine ripened one.

DSC03865.JPG

Chris

Nice work Chris. Wife makes ham salad for my work lunches. Love em. Yours looks great!
Keep up the good work kid
Appreciate it Justin, it sounds like you have a keeper for a wife.

Chris

It looks outstanding Chris nice job

Reactions: gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky