Did I mention that I hate winter?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Probably got 4 to 9 inches here in Iowa, less and more with wind...none where the wind blew it away and about 18 inches where it got deposited. Cleared the cement in front of garage with skidloader and just drove through the rest! Feel fortunate, middle of January and the 1st time moving snow!

Ryan
Yup, but 15" is enough!!
I'm about the same as you here in the capital of Iowa. Fri wr had sleet, rain and snow. I got out that night and hand picked my way for 2 hours through that crap (2" slush). Saturday I spent 4 hours removing 11.5" of snow with drifts to 36". Up to and over the top of my stone walls.
DSCN2504.JPG
DSCN2504.JPG
DSCN2506.JPG
1-2022 12+1.5 snow.jpg

Sorry for the double image, I seem to not be able to to remove it without removing both.

Last edited:
Sorry nice to see it's not just us, This weekend from Friday on was the s**ts
Lots of snow -19 C with very high winds, Sunday only -10 C but no wind, Good for cleaning up the yard
Now today started at -14C snow at noon and 0 C winds going back up to 80 km and rain 4 deg and 7 deg all night.
I am so confused . lol.

Snow and winds have started, Come on Rain!!! , I'm done with the snow , wishful thinking
View attachment 522581

Hard to tell but it is snowing and wind has started

David
Dave, I feel your pain! The base of your steps is like "Where do I put this -hit?
Every time it snows I remove all concrete and wooden surfaces at my home plus I remove 2 of my neighbors driveways and city walks. I am not for hire!! (and have not been for 20 years)

I'm with ya Steve, I -'uck-ng -ate SNOW! All it means to this aged man is WORK! Nothing but HARD work!

Last edited:
The older I get, the more I despise winter. I have a walk behind JD 10/32 but graduated a few yrs ago to 44" on the rider. Way to much to try and keeps path up to my shop.View attachment 522632View attachment 522633
Back into the deep freeze again Wed -25° with -6° for high. -40° windchill. Only 3.5 months left of it though :emoji_thermometer_face:
I had a very much earlier Cub Cadet model 127 and later an 18 horse twin Kohler after IH sold them out. A 48" blower (single stage, wishing for a 2 stage) with a hard cab. I broke the rear tires bead down and added a gallon each of antifreeze into them then added water. After they were full I popped only just enough air back in to make a seal. It added short of 100 pounds of real weight per tire to the traction. Solid traction!! Of course I had chains too, I added a cross bar on every other link.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winterrider
Dave, I feel your pain! The base of your steps is like "Where do I put this -hit?

We have had a lot worse than this year , but with the high winds, friggen cold - 15 - 20's
than ice and rain on top of that , Like you said I'm getting too old to work this hard without being paid for it .

David

ps: nice looking home and stone walls

On Sunday we got freezing rain then snow then more rain with squalls on Monday. Took 75 minutes to get home compared to the usual 50. Then drive to work was like driving on a washboard because of ice under everything. Plus heavy winds on drive back home making partial whiteouts some places around open fields. Didn't get to driveway until Tuesday because of work an all I could do was scrap the top off with 4 wheeler. Unlike others I don't mind winter minus the winds.

SH, We are having a good old fashioned Jan up here in NH, multiple mornings with readings 15-18 below. Too cold for me to go out and ice fish!

Reactions: Steve H
SH, We are having a good old fashioned Jan up here in NH, multiple mornings with readings 15-18 below. Too cold for me to go out and ice fish!
Go fishing! Set up that popup or shanty,turn on the propane heater and start drilling holes! Take a break if you need too in that now warm shanty. We have one guy drill holes, one guy set tip-ups line depth, and a guy to bait them. Team effort. Take a warmup break in the shanty and eat a bowl of hot chili you have on the propane stove...
In the shanty, watching for flags.... don't forget to send someone out to clear the ice from the holes.

Great times. For the record, the coldest temps Ive ice fished in were -29 without windchill. Beer freezes fast...

Minus 29 is probably an average day for some people.

Go fishing!

We only got 4" of snow here in KC last weekend with no wind. The first measurable snow of the season. I was procrastinating getting started with the shovel when I heard something at the front door. It was my neighbor. He already had our sidewalk and driveway shoveled. Man, what a guy!

Reactions: bigfurmn
Too cold for me to go out and ice fish!
100% agree with this. Have actually only been out 8 times this winter. To cold to set up the portable, to much snow on the lake to put the perm. Have even ran into heavy slush pockets with the tracked ATV.
Water being pushed up with all the weight of the snow, scary !

Reactions: Steve H
Been pretty cold here in MN lately. Not cold enough that a big diesel plugged in wouldn’t start, but it’s cold starting them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky