• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Winter 2026/2027 - The Year of the "Super El Niño"

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Pikes Peak is currently getting heavy snow.

I haven't been able to see Pikes Peak for the last four days. Clouded over but the sun is poking out now, guess I'll take the dog for a walk and see what I can see. The house is 35-45ish miles northwest of the peak and we can see it from the drive way. I don't want to cut down trees, including some of the neighbor's, just to see it from the front door.

Just got back and , yep, there is snow up there, every spot above tree line. They said we were supposed to get snow here Wed, today and tomorrow, but just mist/dizzle, rain, but we really need it.
 
Last edited:
I've been passed a few times by these, in NV, OR and WA.
View attachment 741484
Have you ever pull a triple trailer?
There is no way in hell, I'd try a single, and you'd have to shoot me before I'd attempt a triple, even on a flat calm sunny day, let alone in snow.
I am triples certified. I did my training exactly one year ago today.

It's not hard. Hooking them up, breaking them and re-hooking is time consuming.

Triples are not allowed in windy conditions, heavy rain, snow, sleet or hail.

I have never seen a triple, even doubles are not allowed in lower NY as far as I know.
Yes they are allowed in NY. Triples aren't allowed there, but Turnpike Doubles are. That's a pair of 48' trailers.

You'll only see doubles on state highways or interstates for the most part. City will be limited to leaving a terminal and arriving at one.


From Olathe, KS to Wichita, KS the UPS drivers pull double 53' trailers up and down I-35.
 
Last edited:
I am triples certified. I did my training exactly one year ago today.

It's not hard. Hooking them up, breaking them and re-hooking is time consuming.

Triples are not allowed in windy conditions, heavy rain, snow, sleet or hail.


Yes they are allowed in NY. Triples aren't allowed there, but Turnpike Doubles are. That's a pair of 48' trailers.

You'll only see doubles on state highways or interstates for the most part. City will be limited to leaving a terminal and arriving at one.


From Olathe, KS to Wichita, KS the UPS drivers pull double 53' trailers up and down I-35.
I couldn't even imagine hauling a single, out here in CA, the traffic is stupid. I always allow truckers to merge, flash my lights when they are clear, and so on, just from hauling a 35' 5th wheel for yrs. Other drivers are completely clueless. Either that or just flat out rude douche bags.

Can you/they back those triples? I've only seen them on the hwy.

When I first got my 5th wheel I couldn't back it for spit, I can back a 35' boat trailer pretty darn good, the diff pivot point really messed with my head for a few trips. An old man walks up as my wife and I are bickering, and says can I give you a few tips, hell yes!!! You'll likely save my marriage, he laughed. He then went on to explain a few things to me, and pointed out a few things I was doing wrong, then I got the hang of it. I never felt comfortable backing a 5th wheel though, even after pulling it for 5 yrs, it just felt odd to me, so I finally sold it.
We don't plan on traveling far, so we will eventually down size to a 25' bumper pull, for our local coastal crabbing and fishing trips, and Duck and goose hunting trips. I'm just better suited for backing a bumper pull, my brain doesn't go into overdrive doing it. LOL!!!
 
There may be a few older veteran linehaul drivers who can back up triples but there's 3 fifth wheels, and it tends to jack knife pretty quickly. So if they can, they can't back them up very far, maybe 20-20' maximum. Most drivers can't backup doubles.

I can backup a set of doubles about 60'. I cannot place them into a dock by backing up.

I had to back up my set a few weeks ago at the truck stop. The guy in front of me had pulled forward in front of the pump. But I washed my windows and used the bathroom before he came back out, so I backed my set up and went through the empty fuel aisle to the right and got back on the road. It took me several adjustments, pull ups and back ups until I got the correct angle.

I had to do it back in mid-August as well.
 
you are not going back to snow boarding after those surgeries are you?
Nope Im done. I love snowboarding but too many idiots out there. last two broken ankles were 100% the other guys fault.
 
There may be a few older veteran linehaul drivers who can back up triples but there's 3 fifth wheels, and it tends to jack knife pretty quickly. So if they can, they can't back them up very far, maybe 20-20' maximum. Most drivers can't backup doubles.

I can backup a set of doubles about 60'. I cannot place them into a dock by backing up.

I had to back up my set a few weeks ago at the truck stop. The guy in front of me had pulled forward in front of the pump. But I washed my windows and used the bathroom before he came back out, so I backed my set up and went through the empty fuel aisle to the right and got back on the road. It took me several adjustments, pull ups and back ups until I got the correct angle.

I had to do it back in mid-August as well.
Driving those rigs is an art.
I love watching truckers back into tight bays, that look like it can't be done, one shot or maybe one adjustment and they're in, it's crazy to me.
Our Costco's dock looks like a real P.I.T.A. and they make it look easy.
 
Nope Im done. I love snowboarding but too many idiots out there. last two broken ankles were 100% the other guys fault.
It sucks giving up sports that we truly love doing, after my last spinal fusion. I had to give up Skydiving, dirt bikes, four wheeling flat bottom v-drive boats, walk in big game hunting, and I really had to modify my duck and goose hunting. As we get older we just don't bounce as well as we used to, IE: we don't bounce back from injuries either.

That sucks Dave, find something you love to replace it, for me it is learning guitar, and traveling our Country, trying to decide where we want to live when my parents are gone. We're in no rush. LOL!!!
 
It sucks giving up sports that we truly love doing, after my last spinal fusion. I had to give up Skydiving, dirt bikes, four wheeling flat bottom v-drive boats, walk in big game hunting, and I really had to modify my duck and goose hunting. As we get older we just don't bounce as well as we used to, IE: we don't bounce back from injuries either.

That sucks Dave, find something you love to replace it, for me it is learning guitar, and traveling our Country, trying to decide where we want to live when my parents are gone. We're in no rush. LOL!!!
Mountain biking is a fav! Been doing that for 40 years. But winter is coming. Might get some winter riding gear and give it a shot

We just have to evolve as challenges come up.
 
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top
Clicky