Condiments: hot dogs, who puts what on.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which condiments do you like on your hot dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
smokerjim smokerjim Here you go my Friend. This was given to me by my Father's best friend, who was a first generation German American ...JJ

Authentic German Potato Soup

1Stk Butter
2Lbs Sausage of choice*
2C diced Onion
1C diced Leeks
4-5 Carrots, diced
4 Ribs Celery, diced
2-3 Cloves Garlic, minced
3Lbs Red Potatoes, 3/4" Dice**
2T Fine Chopped Fresh Parsley
1tsp Caraway Seed
1tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
1/2C AP Flour
4C Chicken Broth
1C White Wine
2C Heavy Cream
1tsp Maggi Seasoning, optional but traditional.
1tsp Black Pepper
Salt or Chix Base to taste.

Note: * Knockwurst is classic but, Hot Dogs are a great substitute, slice about 1/2" thick. Brats work too. Remove from the casing and roll in about 1/2" balls, then saute just until Golden.

** I use Red Potatoes for a chunky soup and Yellow or Russet for pureed soup.

Add Butter to an 6QT stock pot and lightly brown the Sausage, remove and set aside.
Add Mirepoix, Herbs and Spices and saute until Onions are translucent.
Add Flour and make a Roux.
Add Broth and Wine and whisk to combine then add Potatoes.
Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer.
Add Sausage and cook until Potatoes are tender, about 35-45 minutes.
Add Cream, Maggi and Black Pepper. Bring just to a simmer.
Add Salt or Base to desired taste and serve.

Makes 8 Dinner Portions or about 16 Apps.

been to hotdog Johnnies a few times myself, hotdogs are good but I still don't like buttermilk, next time i'm in jersey though i'm going to a wawa for a 1/4 pounder.

Reactions: Omnivore
I’ve been to Hotdog Johnny’s a few times as well. When I drove for an armored car company my furthest stop was just over the Delaware water gap to the Colombia exit on 80 in NJ. Every now and then we’d detour down to Buttzville for some Johnny’s.

Boss found out when the mileage wasn’t adding up. Next week, he rode shotgun because he wanted to try their hotdogs!

And The Boss did Buy, Right?!?!

Bear

Reactions: xray
Yeah Johnny's holds some Great Memories. Had my first Johnny's Dog, plain, in 1964. At that time the quickest route from NJ to Scranton PA and Grandma's house, was 33 to 46 and up through the Gap. By 1970, I was eating them with the Works.
When I first met my Wife, 1986, I took her on a ride to see the Fall Foliage which is great on the way up to Johnny's. Until we moved to PA, that Johnny's Trip was a annual Fall event.
Once we had the three Girls, we would take them to Johnny's when visiting my Parents in NJ.
Now that my Girls are grown and married, they occasionally take their Husbands on a trek to Hot Dog Johnny's.
If you include my Parent's trips to Johnny's and Mom's home town, starting in 1955, that's over 60 years and three generations of my family enjoying Hot Dog Johnny's!...JJ

BTW...I too learned Buttermilk tastes nothing like Butter or a Milkshake at the hands of my Grandmother during an early trip to Johnny's!:emoji_astonished::emoji_disappointed::emoji_angry:

Reactions: Omnivore and xray
The buttermilk (shudders)...I remember taking my armored car partner there for the first time in the middle of summer, we pull up and he goes “ooh fresh buttermilk!”

I respond on the walkie-talkie, “Hey man, it’s like 90 degrees and our a/c isn’t working that well. Get the frosted birch beer instead.”

He insisted on the buttermilk, he thought it would be like a vanilla shake....he had a photo finish racing back to the toilet at our base in Wilkes-Barre. I think he even sharted, but he’ll take that one to the grave.

So every time I see the scene in Anchorman where Will Ferrell is drinking the milk on a hot day, I think of that story.
3930638E-DF96-49E7-832B-09503EF7BB92.jpeg

Reactions: Omnivore
You still put Ketchup on, even with Kraut, on your knockwurst??
And you manage not to Barf?

Bear

No not on the knockwurst on the side to dip the wurst into.

Chris

The Indianapolis 500 tradition of the winner taking a swig of milk actually started with the 1913 race winner Jules Goulx requesting BUTTERMILK to drink at the end of the 6.5 hour race. I cannot imagine...

One of me and my wife's favorite shared memories involves hot dogs. She visited me at Cubi Point in the Philippines when I was in the Navy.
We still call them Cubi Dogs when we're in the mood for a summer favorite.
Ah, memories.
I'll be visiting the Naval Air Museum at Pensacola in December. I'll look for them on the menu at the Cubi Point Restaurant.

Recognized your Navy wings. My brother was HC-1 crew chief, swimmer and machinist mate with 3 tours of Vietnam

Never heard of "Michigan Sauce" or "Coney Sauce".
Hoping someone has a great recipe as my searches resulted in a mediocre bland English style meat sauce. I prefer something that has more flavor.

No not on the knockwurst on the side to dip the wurst into.

Chris

I was mostly worried that you would mix Ketchup with Kraut. Yuck!!
I don't know anybody that does that, but Kraut always goes Great with Mustard.

Bear

The buttermilk (shudders)...I remember taking my armored car partner there for the first time in the middle of summer, we pull up and he goes “ooh fresh buttermilk!”

I respond on the walkie-talkie, “Hey man, it’s like 90 degrees and our a/c isn’t working that well. Get the frosted birch beer instead.”

He insisted on the buttermilk, he thought it would be like a vanilla shake....he had a photo finish racing back to the toilet at our base in Wilkes-Barre. I think he even sharted, but he’ll take that one to the grave.

So every time I see the scene in Anchorman where Will Ferrell is drinking the milk on a hot day, I think of that story.
View attachment 408737

I learned my lesson in Hawaii.
After Vietnam, I was stationed in Hawaii, and we ran 1.5 miles every morning in that heat, as soon as I got there from my off-post housing. I was used to drinking a glass of Plain Milk in the morning, but I had to stop, because it would turn sour in me and come right back up, in the Hawaiian Heat, at the end of the run. Luckily there was a Dumpster right in back of where we ended the run.
I tried Grape Juice, but that burned if it worked it's way back up, so the only thing I could hold down was a glass of Ice Tea.

Bear

The bulk of the Texas Weiner Shops in Central and North Jersey are Greek owned. This led to the Allspice, Cinnamon and Oregano, playing a leading roll in the sauces flavor. Texas Weiner Chili is also great on Cheese Fries and Cheese Burgers!
Until today, this Recipe has only been passed around to Family Members, mostly because I had aspirations of selling the jarred sauce at some point. Since you guys asked, and I got no money to start a business, I will share my favorite Hot Dog Topping here...JJ

Coney Sauce/Texas Weiner Chili

1C Chopped Onion
1/2C Chopped Green Pepper
2ea Cloves Garlic
2T EVOO
3C Water
2Lb Grnd Beef
1/2C Ketchup
2T Tomato Paste
6T Chili Powder
4T Kitchen Bouquet Browning Sauce
2tsp Allspice
1tsp Salt
1tsp Blk Pepper
1tsp Cumin
1tsp Cinnamon
1tsp Oregano
1/2tsp Thyme
Cayenne Pepper to Taste

Puree the Onion, Pepper and Garlic until very fine. Saute the Veg in EVOO until it starts to get golden. Add the water to deglaze the pan. Add the remaining ingredients stirring well to break up the meat into fine pieces and combine ingredients. Bring Sauce to a boil, reduce heat and simmer to desired thickness. Stir frequently.
NOTE: New Jersey Law carries a Fine of $1000 and 6 Months in Jail for, Removing the Fat from any Texas Weiner Sauce! :emoji_cop:

The Classic Texas Weiner is a Griddle cooked, 10" long 1/4 Pound Natural Casing Hot Dog, browned in Bacon Grease. This is placed on a Steamed Bun, topped with a bead of Yellow Mustard, finely chopped Raw Onions and Chili Sauce on top. Stir the Fat into the Sauce before application!
I know it sounds wierd not Browning the Meat but, you can't get the super fine texture unless the meat is added to the water, Raw. I played with this recipe for a year until I got it right. Enjoy!

Ok here's the Michigan sauce that I've been making for a few years. Sorry if this post doesn't sound right. I'm at work and have to hurry.

1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Pepper
2 Teaspoons Chili Powder
1 Medium Onion
2 Pounds Steak Hamburg
3 Cloves Garlic
5 Tablespoons butter
1 Bouillon cube
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
32 oz of beef broth
½ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper

Finely mince the onion and saute in a stew pot using the butter. Add the hamburger and the beef broth. Stir until hamburger starts separating. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir. Simmer until desired thickness obtained. Usually 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Add more cayenne or chili pepper if desired.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky