Condiments and Additions to Hot Dogs - What's your story?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
kimg0678-jpg.jpg

I am with all the other hot dog hedons, maybe worse as while I much prefer Nathan's will not turn down an Oscar Meyer; IMO the flavor simply works well with just about anything. Hence I love a Seattle Dog with cream cheese and jalapenos (cilantro with those too, cant remember if that is standard); Love a chili/coney dog and carolina dog; New York kraut dogs; both the newer Chicago dragged through the garden and old french fry Depression dogs.. etc.

A restaurant here, Iron Barley, wound up on one of the food shows (i believe a guy fieri, but maybe a man vs food?) for their Monte Cristo Dog. Exactly as it sounds like- strawberry jam, swiss cheese, two real good dogs served with a pickle on the side. I would question anyone's judgement that tried it and did not acknowledge that the flavor combo worked, LOL.

[The above dog, to the best of my memory, had some butt ham/bacon, pickles, kraut, at least yellow mustard, kalamata olives, and a whole lotta pepper and sesame seeds. Tangy briny and delicious]

I thought this was interesting , and fits this thread pretty good .
Captions are under the pics .
Damn Howdy! Quite a few of those made me slobber.

I thought this was interesting , and fits this thread pretty good .
Captions are under the pics .
Finally able to take a break and review the article above. Wow. Talk about some of those dogs being over the top.

Our local AAA team for the SF Giants, the Sacramento River Cats, has a 1 lb natural casing all-beef dog called the Dinger Dog. You get the dog, bun, and add the condiments. They have a smaller size, too, and one with chili. There's two things I get every single time I go to the ballpark. A dog and a frozen lemonade. Takes me back to all the little league trips to Dodger Stadium when I was a kiddo. I've caught one foul ball in all my trips, and that was the last time I went in 2019.

My mind keeps spinning around that peanut butter dude from Arkansas. Now I'm thinking about making a Thai peanut sauce and adding mustard to go on a dog with chopped onion and sweet relish. Or making a cabbage and onion slaw out of that Thai peanut mustard sauce to add to the dog. Thanks for the inspiration, Chop!

Zweigles, Get them when I go visit the wife's family in upstate NY. Brought them home to Minnesota and had more than a few people who wouldn't go near a white hot dog. I was ok with that, more for me.

Reactions: noboundaries
I just looked at chopsaw chopsaw 's mouthwatering hot dog thread. Then on the TV, there's a TARGET ad with someone putting ketchup on a dog in a bun. Man, that's just wrong, but to each their own.

As a kid, and not knowing better, I put anything and everything on a hot dog, including ketchup. My folks were Italian sausage eaters with sauce and roasted peppers, so hot dogs were just for us kids. We received no hot dog construction advice at all. In fact, I can't remember eating a hot dog before the age of 9 when dad got his first backyard grill. Then it was pretty regular during the summers. Hot dogs were for all the kids; adults got the grilled sausages and added sauce and peppers.

I never really cared for hot dogs much as I grew through my teens and college because I just threw everything on them by habit. The flavors just clashed, and I rarely ate them. Then in my mid 20's I married a German. Man, did I get a hot dog education the first time she saw me dress a dog. Mustard only. Chopped onions and sweet pickle relish are fine, but ketchup? That's was a deal-breaker if I wanted to stay married. (Kidding...I think).

And she was so right. Once I tossed the red kiddie crack, the world of dogs opened up to me. Mustard, chopped onions, occasionally sweet relish, and every once in a while, some fantastic kraut or pickled red onions make for a perfect dog. Chili? It has its place, but it has to be cooked for so long the ground beef has lost all structure, and the red fat soaks deep into the bun. It needs to have a creamy texture that is sweet, salty, with a bit of a bite. Add chopped onions and shredded sharp cheddar to build a stairway to mouthwatering heaven. I've yet to find a place like that here out West.

So, I just had to rant after seeing Chop's delicious creation and that stupid TARGET commercial. If you are a ketchup/dog person, well, good for you.

Share your favorite toppings and additions for hot dogs. We might get some new ideas!

Enjoy your dogs,

Ray
I like a natural casing frank with mustard and some famous daves spicy pickles

I make a chili sauce that everyone loves . First the velveeta cheese then the dog then the chili sauce and last but not least I grow some great Walla Walla onions so I dice one up and spoon some of this on top. We have this with other goodies at the family reunion every year.. Oh and I forgot to say that I have the bakery make me our buns fresh for the occasion. No Rainbow crap

Love this thread! I grew up outside of Boston and Saturday night was hot dogs and baked beans night. The hot dogs were boiled when mom cooked, sauteed in butter when dad cooked. Dad used to carve little messages or our names in the dogs before cooking, and they "magically" appeared as they cooked.

I can't recall what brand we bought (probably Fenway Franks) but my parents would sometimes get natural casing dogs at the deli and my sister and I hated them! We called them "thumbnail dogs" because the pinch indent at the end.

Baked beans were always B&M and we made sure we were around to get a bite of cold "Mimi Beans", which were just cold beans out of the can before the pot hit the stove, the way my grandmother ate them.

We rarely had rolls--a slice of white bread was just fine--and typical condiments were ketchup, yellow mustard, and sweet relish. Sometimes we even had the B&M brown bread that comes in a can as a side.

In my college years, I volunteered with the ice hockey team and travelled with them. Roller dogs with steamed buns and mustard were a regular mid-game meal for me at whatever frozen rink we visited.

These days, I usually buy Hebrew National dogs, grill them, and love them in a proper hot dog roll with spicy mustard and/or homemade kraut, but every so often, I'll definitely cook one in hot water on the stove, toss it on a slice of white bread, and give it the ketchup and yellow mustard business. It brings me back to the old days! (And yes, I always have a spoon of "Mimi Beans" for my grandmother...).

That was a fun read, dictator! Thanks for sharing.

Ray
Ray have you heard of Lockford meats ? East of Lodi , If you haven't you need to take a drive over there and get some of his sausage and or hot dogs. They are the best I can find on the west coast. Just get there right at opening time or you will get stuck in a line a block long on weekends..

Ray have you heard of Lockford meats ? East of Lodi , If you haven't you need to take a drive over there and get some of his sausage and or hot dogs. They are the best I can find on the west coast. Just get there right at opening time or you will get stuck in a line a block long on weekends..
Oh, man, I forgot about it! A motorcycle club buddy and a woman I used to work with both raved about that place. I've never been. I'm watching a YouTube video as I type. I will be making a mid-week visit soon! It's an hour drive, but my wife says I need to get out of the house more.

Joe, A GREAT BIG THANK YOU for the reminder!

Reactions: poacherjoe
IMO no wrong to eat a hot dog. I am not into ketchup but hey if you want to, knock yourself out. chef jimmyj chef jimmyj is really on point and that slight tweaks can make all the difference in the world. IE Totally worth cleaning the ninja/food processor to get really fine minced like onions compared to diced. Totally stealing the day old thing too.

Ballpark mustard is good stuff and worth trying if you have never had it. Often overlooked is that ballpark dogs are kept wrapped in foil heating the bun and is part of the overall effect. Nuking 5-10 will give you the effect. Funny story... Mom ran a concession stand for junior high football back before you could buy stadium mustard in the store. Nothing sold much, a few pops and candy bars. My dad hatches this plan to sell hot dogs with stadium mustard. He drives to Cleveland and manages to comes back with a gallon of the stuff, which was unheard of in the day (he is known to bribe people). Hot dogs sell out every game and we kept the stuff at our house :emoji_laughing:

I go through phases with dogs. Phase I am in now is totally destroyed charred dog. I prefer Ball Park all beef and Gludens. Phase before that I went though a "wimpy" chili dog phase with onion and mustard. I found out later that the wimpys are a PA thing: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/92763/pennsylvania-coal-region-barbecue/
Went through a currywurst phase too. Wife got sick of me constantly concocting the formula :emoji_laughing:

Dead serious, tho Tony Packos is the best. Not a hot dog at all but hungarian sausage. Really tasty and smoky. I've read that that actual formulation is based on kielbasa but more smoke and garlic. Sounds about right. But the real star is the chili. Heavy spice and heat. Minced onion and yellow mustard is how we do them.

I found an interesting article about the top ten hot dog condiments. The last one mentioned was mayonnaise! Then I checked the url and it was an article from Australia. Okay, ketchup just moved a notch up my condiment list.

Ok I can't lie, I have done this before. I know I know but hear me out. I was 19 and in Mazatlan Mexico and bought a couple dogs from a street vender at about 4am. Yes looking back I can see a number of mistakes I made. Mixed mayo with a fresh ground mustard and it was really good. Really good for 4am Mexican street food, but at the time I thought it was really good.

Reactions: noboundaries
This has been a fun thread. Thanks for kicking it off noboundaries noboundaries
I found an interesting article about the top ten hot dog condiments. The last one mentioned was mayonnaise! Then I checked the url and it was an article from Australia. Okay, ketchup just moved a notch up my condiment list.
Well, ketchup and mayonnaise is the basis for fry sauce.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky