My Favorite Hot Dogs. (“Berks” Brand)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA

It’s been so long since I’ve seen these, I almost forgot how good they were.

When I was working for my Son, I was driving 100 to 300 miles per day, mostly doing Tower Inspections, Tower Inventories, and Azimuth & Down-tilt Adjustments. About 70% of the time these jobs were in Jersey & Delaware, which is where the WaWa Food Stores seem to be most Prominent.
Back then, my Son would give me one of his Climbers for the day, and we’d go from Job to Job. If the Climber got to work with me, he knew we’d be stopping at a WaWa for lunch, instead of Burger King or Wendy’s, unless there wasn’t a good Hot Dog place in the area.

WaWa always had their “Berks” Quarter Pound Hot Dogs, and sometimes they were in a Heated glass case, so I could just Grab 2 of them & about 4 or 5 little packs of Mustard, stop at the cash register quickly, and back out to the Truck.

Berks Hot Dogs are made by “Berks Foods”, in Reading, PA, and WaWa sells them all the time, but they don’t seem to sell them any way other than cooked. We’ve been looking all around the area, and all we can find is their “Regular Size” Dogs. They taste Great too, but I’ve always been a firm believer that regular Hot Dogs are generally too much Roll & not enough Hot Dog to my Liking.

So the search goes on. I’m sure I’ll find them some place, but in the mean time I’ll keep eating the Berk’s Regular Dogs, because they are the best tasting Dogs around, in my book. I’ve been thinking if I can’t find the “Quarter Pounders” I might try putting 2 Dogs in one Roll.

A note about Condiments: When I was a Kid, the Dogs I made over an open wood fire, when camping with the Family, got lots of Ketchup on them. Then at about Age 14 or 15 I tried Mustard, and liked it, because Ketchup started tasting too Sweet to Me. Ever since that it’s been Mustard, usually Plain Yellow Mustard, but I’ve used Spicy, Brown, and Horseradish Mustard on occasion. If I’m forced to eat a less Tasty Hot Dog, I might put some Hot Dog Relish on it to help with the flavor, but as long as it’s a “Berks” All Beef Hot Dog, I’ll normally go with just Yellow Mustard.
I also like a good Chili Dog, but you’ll never catch me dragging any Hot Dogs through the garden, and wouldn’t even think about eating a Hot Dog that had so much Garbage on it that I can’t even see the Dog, let alone taste it.

Here’s some of the Little Guys (below), with Mustard to show you what they look like, and some Baked Beans on the side. One of these days I’ll show you what the Quarter Pounders look like.

Thanks For Stopping By,

Bear

Ready to go in my Air Fryer 360 for 12 minutes:
IMG_3998.jpg

First Night's Supper:
IMG_3999.jpg

Second Night's Supper:
IMG_4000.jpg

Totally agree with you bear on the bun-to-dog ratio! And when you finally find a REALLY GOOD hot dog, you know it! Night and day difference in quality out there! I do like a little minced onion though with just yellow mustard like that.

Reactions: JC in GB
I love Hot Dogs, just need some of my home made relish and some onions.

Gary

I am a Stadium Mustard fan, pretty sure it is mainstream everywhere... but Dad told me it was the same mustard from the Cleveland Indians and Browns Stadium (old Municipal) which I can remember visiting once in a while. As for dogs, I like Nathans and Hebrew National. Never had the Berks. Love a good dog for sure, and only bun length all beef.

Oh man love the dogs too. My favorite used to be what they called old fashion, which were made from pork mostly and maybe beef (and they sure were not skinless like today's). Big fat suckers and they would plump up big time....they don't make them any more....to many people got into trying to be healthy I guess. Favorite is q'uing them or steaming, though have fried. Today I use Millers brand.

I'll second the Berks. When we lived farther East, getting Berks was no problem but, I have to say, I never saw the 1/4 lb Dogs out side of Sheetz in the area. Them darn Roller Dogs are tasty and the darker the better. I don't know if any Grocery Chains carry them...JJ

I Can't find the dogs I like up here Sabrett & I never heard of Berks.LIKES
Richie

I’ll have to look for the Berks next time I go out. Plenty of Sheetz and WaWas around me.

Never tried them, we usually buy Nathans.

I love hotdogs and want them all the time...I’m like a kid...wish the wife would share in my hotdog enthusiasm.

Love a good hot dog. Wisconsin has many good brands of hot dogs available. Many of them are from a local butcher shop. Just can't beat the selection.

I prefer the 1/4 lb dog as well. Too much bun for those skinny franks.

Some Dusseldorf mustard and maybe some kraut or relish. POW! That is some good wurst!

Bear...your first night's and second night's supper look pretty similar. Am I picking up on a trend here?? :emoji_wink:

This is another one of those rare occasions that I'm gonna jump on the "me too" bandwagon. We love a good dog around here. Never had the Berks so we lived through Hebrew National for years. They are pretty good dogs, just not enough dog. Got to the point I'd just cut them up, put a little chili and some yellow mustard on top and eat them with tortilla chips like nachos. Sadly though, we got burnt out on them. Folks are probably getting burnt out on this but I gotta say that Certified Piedmontese makes an absolutely awesome dog!! We did a big party for the neighborhood kids recently and I ordered burgers and dogs from Piedmontese for the party. That was the best dog I've ever had. They only seem to put their name on stuff that's ultra high quality, and these things are a full 1/4 pound. I had my doubts about them but was very happy. Dogs have gone back into the rotation now!!

Re-dogged in Lago,
Robert

Looks good . Love a good hot dog . Get the right dog and I only need a bun .
GFS has a 5/1 that's all beef , I get the 4/1 at the meat market , beef pork blend . Both are really good . Just bought 5 lbs at GFS .
Would love to try Berks .

Good minds think alike! Dogs on deck tonight (along with brat burgers)

but Dad told me it was the same mustard from the Cleveland Indians and Browns Stadium (old Municipal) which I can remember visiting once in a while.

Correct. Your first stadium dog (and Browns game) was a rite of passage for my family. The rite was conducted by a men only group, bitterly cold, drinking and swearing heavily. No joke a couple guys were giving me serious s*** since I had a Steeler's coat on. I was like 10. I think I even had a beer.

Reactions: JazzyJay
I am a Stadium Mustard fan, pretty sure it is mainstream everywhere... but Dad told me it was the same mustard from the Cleveland Indians and Browns Stadium (old Municipal) which I can remember visiting once in a while. As for dogs, I like Nathans and Hebrew National. Never had the Berks. Love a good dog for sure, and only bun length all beef.

Thank You Jay!!
I never had "Stadium Mustard" until I got some from zwiller zwiller in a Christmas Gift Exchange. It really is Great Mustard, and I think it's even better than my usual "French's" Mustard (Yellow). I'll bet if you ever get ahold of some Berks, you'll like them more than Nathans and Hebrew National, as I have had all 3.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

It’s been so long since I’ve seen these, I almost forgot how good they were.

When I was working for my Son, I was driving 100 to 300 miles per day, mostly doing Tower Inspections, Tower Inventories, and Azimuth & Down-tilt Adjustments. About 70% of the time these jobs were in Jersey & Delaware, which is where the WaWa Food Stores seem to be most Prominent.
Back then, my Son would give me one of his Climbers for the day, and we’d go from Job to Job. If the Climber got to work with me, he knew we’d be stopping at a WaWa for lunch, instead of Burger King or Wendy’s, unless there wasn’t a good Hot Dog place in the area.

WaWa always had their “Berks” Quarter Pound Hot Dogs, and sometimes they were in a Heated glass case, so I could just Grab 2 of them & about 4 or 5 little packs of Mustard, stop at the cash register quickly, and back out to the Truck.

Berks Hot Dogs are made by “Berks Foods”, in Reading, PA, and WaWa sells them all the time, but they don’t seem to sell them any way other than cooked. We’ve been looking all around the area, and all we can find is their “Regular Size” Dogs. They taste Great too, but I’ve always been a firm believer that regular Hot Dogs are generally too much Roll & not enough Hot Dog to my Liking.

So the search goes on. I’m sure I’ll find them some place, but in the mean time I’ll keep eating the Berk’s Regular Dogs, because they are the best tasting Dogs around, in my book. I’ve been thinking if I can’t find the “Quarter Pounders” I might try putting 2 Dogs in one Roll.

A note about Condiments: When I was a Kid, the Dogs I made over an open wood fire, when camping with the Family, got lots of Ketchup on them. Then at about Age 14 or 15 I tried Mustard, and liked it, because Ketchup started tasting too Sweet to Me. Ever since that it’s been Mustard, usually Plain Yellow Mustard, but I’ve used Spicy, Brown, and Horseradish Mustard on occasion. If I’m forced to eat a less Tasty Hot Dog, I might put some Hot Dog Relish on it to help with the flavor, but as long as it’s a “Berks” All Beef Hot Dog, I’ll normally go with just Yellow Mustard.
I also like a good Chili Dog, but you’ll never catch me dragging any Hot Dogs through the garden, and wouldn’t even think about eating a Hot Dog that had so much Garbage on it that I can’t even see the Dog, let alone taste it.

Here’s some of the Little Guys (below), with Mustard to show you what they look like, and some Baked Beans on the side. One of these days I’ll show you what the Quarter Pounders look like.

Thanks For Stopping By,

Bear

Ready to go in my Air Fryer 360 for 12 minutes:
View attachment 406106

First Night's Supper:
View attachment 406107

Second Night's Supper:
View attachment 406108
Nothing better than a quality dog and beans. Simple but good meal!!

Totally agree with you bear on the bun-to-dog ratio! And when you finally find a REALLY GOOD hot dog, you know it! Night and day difference in quality out there! I do like a little minced onion though with just yellow mustard like that.

Thank You BEV !!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

I love Hot Dogs, just need some of my home made relish and some onions.

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Never had Berks, will have to try mext time I'm out east. Surprised nobody mentioned Costco Kirkland 1/4 dogs. Good taste. We always have a pack around the house.

RG

Great looking dogs! I agree yellow mustard and then just mustard cheese and chili on the chili dogs. Man you got me wanting hot dogs now!

Thank You John!!
Did you ever notice that Hot Dogs taste better outside, and at a Ball Game??
Kinda like Popcorn always tastes better at a Movie Theater.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Oh man love the dogs too. My favorite used to be what they called old fashion, which were made from pork mostly and maybe beef (and they sure were not skinless like today's). Big fat suckers and they would plump up big time....they don't make them any more....to many people got into trying to be healthy I guess. Favorite is q'uing them or steaming, though have fried. Today I use Millers brand.

Thank You Kit!!
I like them made just about any way, except Cooked in water.
I even liked them when I used to make them in my "Hot Dogger" (Back in the Late 70s). Used to put the dogs in this little plastic box with the Dogs poked on each end with a Metal spike. Then you close it up & plug it in & the Dogs would get electrocuted. You could watch them through the clear top, as they would plump up. They didn't last long on the market, as I think it was just mostly that they were unique that people bought them. It seemed more like a scientific experiment than anything else. LOL

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky