Condiments: hot dogs, who puts what on.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which condiments do you like on your hot dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Same cooking technique. It makes all the difference. I've looked at dozens of Recipes and Youtube Videos and only found one that added the the meat raw to the liquid. All the rest Browned the Beef first. That makes a Lumpy course Chili that falls off the Hot Dog. Not good...JJ

Same cooking technique. It makes all the difference. I've looked at dozens of Recipes and Youtube Videos and only found one that added the the meat raw to the liquid. All the rest Browned the Beef first. That makes a Lumpy course Chili that falls off the Hot Dog. Not good...JJ

A long time ago in Burlington we had a "red-hots" hot dog joint. It was in the 70's but the decor had never been updated since the 50's. I was working as a bouncer at a bar nearby and one of the cooks came in. We started chatting and although he wouldn't reveal the the recipe to the red-hot sauce, but he did spill the beans on how to cook the hamburger. I was a tad reluctant to try it at first but after numerous times trying to get the ground beef into a fine(non lumpy) state by frying it. I decided to give it a go. I haven't looked back since. I used to make my chili this way also, but have switched from ground beef chili to chuck meat chunks. I leave the ground beef to the hot dog sauce.

BTW, Chef JJ I'm definitely going to try that German potato soup in another month or so. It sounds great.

Chris

Thanks all for sauce recipes.
The tip on simmering not browning the raw beef is priceless.

Already have 5 servings of my potato soup in the freezer.
The "authentic" version may have to wait until next year when leeks are in season again.
Agree on the tater selections. Norland (red), Yukon (yellow) and purple (don't remember the variety) are what I (try) to grow in garden. Hooved rats (deer) got in there and grazed down the tops because I forgot to plug in the electric fence this summer.

This is my remake of the Bagel Dogs they sold at Costco back in the 90's when I lived in Puget Sound (Seattle area). Might have carried for more years, but didn't get a local store until 10 years ago and no longer carried.

Bagel dough recipe comes from
http://www.circle-b-kitchen.com/food-and-recipes/2012/2/17/homemade-bagel-dogs.html

I cut a Costco dinner frank in half and wrap in bagel dough, boil, then bake out.
I use 7 Costco dogs to make a batch of 14 instead of the 12 franks used in the recipe.
Tried a couple full size Costco dogs in a batch last year. Too big of a meal and to handle for me. (Wish I had a photo of my coworker 2 handing it down).

Needs a mix of mustard and ketchup to satisfy my High School Toastie Doggie craving.

Attachments

• bagel-dog.jpg
    bagel-dog.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 9
Looks good. I do miss the great Bagels we got in NJ. I have to give these a try...JJ

This is my remake of the Bagel Dogs they sold at Costco back in the 90's when I lived in Puget Sound (Seattle area). Might have carried for more years, but didn't get a local store until 10 years ago and no longer carried.

Bagel dough recipe comes from
http://www.circle-b-kitchen.com/food-and-recipes/2012/2/17/homemade-bagel-dogs.html

I cut a Costco dinner frank in half and wrap in bagel dough, boil, then bake out.
I use 7 Costco dogs to make a batch of 14 instead of the 12 franks used in the recipe.
Tried a couple full size Costco dogs in a batch last year. Too big of a meal and to handle for me. (Wish I had a photo of my coworker 2 handing it down).

Needs a mix of mustard and ketchup to satisfy my High School Toastie Doggie craving.

I'm a big fan of both bagels and hot dogs. This recipe seem simple enough(even for a non-baker like myself). I also enjoy pigs in a blanket so this will quite possibly take it up another rung on the ladder. Thanks for posting.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky