Chili - Beans or No Beans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I recognize Texas' right to declare that chili doesn't contain beans.

But since I don't live there, I add them. I like it better that way.

I don't use ground beef. I generally use a London broil cut into 3/8" cubes.

If ya come to my house here in Iowa and want chili, it's gonna have beans in it.

Ryan

Reactions: JLeonard
It's not like there is one wholly grail of chili. There are so many varieties you can try new ones all the time. Different chilies, meats, seasonings, beans or no beans. Texas doesn't make the rules.

blazing_saddles_beens.jpg

I live in Florida so I don't care what they say in Texas, 'cept open carry is cool.
As for chili, the small batch for hot dog covering: no beans. To eat in a bowl with cheese over it, it gets beans. Not a shit-ton, but some.

It's not like there is one wholly grail of chili. There are so many varieties you can try new ones all the time. Different chilies, meats, seasonings, beans or no beans. Texas doesn't make the rules.

View attachment 679951
Agree. I lived in Texas many years, and some add beans and some don't. I make it both ways depending on what ingredients i have in hand.

I've done it both ways. 10 prior yrs it's been with beans. The last batch was no beans. I like no beans. I'll be making another batch of brisket chili next week, no beans.

I do not put beans in chili while it is cooking - but I will put chili on top of some pinto beans once it is finished cooking. It's one of those things...

It's like some people think that Chef Boyardee is real Italian food, but it ain't.

I do not care what anyone eats but I will never call Chef Boyardee, "Italian food," no matter what.

Coincidentally, I fell in love with "real" chili in NYC in the mid 1980's, at a fantastic restaurant that specialized in authentic gourmet chili. It was the first time I had chili that was NOT made from ground beef but rather from cubed chuck that was cooked until it fell apart. That chili and talking to the owner is what set me on my lifetime chili journey. They DID, in fact, offer other versions that contained beans and other ingredients, but that was chili con carne, not chili.

Chili Madness by Jane Butel is a great source for chili and chili con carne recipes. Of note is Lyndon Johnson's personal chili recipe which is, despite his sour reputation, excellent chili.

My own version of Johnson's chili has no tomatoes and everyone that I have ever served it to has totally loved it and came back for seconds and thirds.

Remember - chili started off as prison food...

Last edited:
Reactions: BigW.
I'm on team bean, Kidney beans and pintoes, onions, peppers and beef prefferably not ground but have used ground before

Should mention as a side my wife wants a cinnamon roll with hers... I know some of you would have corn bread... which is on the agenda to make soon, just to find out a recipe we like. But with my last bowl of chili... was a whole sleeve of saltine crackers! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

"More beans, Mr Taggert?"

The only meat I eat in a pot of beans is pork. Cured preferably. Then I mash it all up and it turns into refried beans.

Then there is chili. I like it many different ways, but if'n it's got beans in it, it's chili with beans.

Some folks here make a concoction with little to no meat and call it 'chili beans'

Next hip thing will be to add beets and rutabagas or some shich...

I can see it now.
"Hijax's Super Authentic Chili"
1 lb beets
1 lb rutabagas
1 lb tofu
1 lb tomato sauce
1 lb chinese 5 spice
5 quarts river water.
* 1 bunch kale, juiced then fermented in the bowels of a civet cat.

Mix all, boil for 5 minutes. Enjoy.

NEVER!!!!!!

*EDIT: gmc2003 gmc2003 reminded me that I forgot the darn kale!

Last edited:
"More beans, Mr Taggert?"

The only meat I eat in a pot of beans is pork. Cured preferably. Then I mash it all up and it turns into refried beans.

Then there is chili. I like it many different ways, but if'n it's got beans in it, it's chili with beans.

Some folks here make a concoction with little to no meat and call it 'chili beans'

Next hip thing will be to add beets and rutabagas or some shich...

I can see it now.
"Hijax's Super Authentic Chili"
1 lb beets
1 lb rutabagas
1 lb tofu
1 lb tomato sauce
1 lb chinese 5 spice
5 quarts river water.

Mix all, boil for 5 minutes. Enjoy.

NEVER!!!!!!
you forgot the kale, but we'll let it pass this time.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky