Looking for Amazing Green / Hatch Chili Enchilada Sauce and/or Salsa Recipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
So my new Vitamix blender gets here tomorrow and Hatch Chilis are on sale with free roasting and scraping at a nice grocery store near me.

I'm now looking for AMAZING (not ok, not somewhat good but amazing) Hatch or Green chili recipes for (any canning info you can provide for the sauce is appreciated as well):
  1. Hatch/Green Chili Enchilada Sauce
  2. Hatch/Green Chili and Tomatillo Salsa
  3. any hatch/green chili sauce or salsa that blows your socks off
I would love to be able to can some quarts of this stuff since I'm looking to get a case of peppers and if the sauces are amazing I may just go wild making the sauces and canning a couple dozen quarts lol.

Send me what you got and thanks in advance! :D

Reactions: JLeonard
In for this! Doubt it will stop me from buying jar/cans tho with me being in Ohio. I got 505 coming next.

I have been on the hunt for the elusive Hatch chilis and thanks to a post by LakeErieSMKR LakeErieSMKR in my thread, I made the trek to Kroger and there they were. So I came home with my new found goodies wondering what to do with them. After your post in the same thread, I decided to see what I could come up with and here it is, my experiment. I'll call this a salsa...

• 6 Hatch chilis
  • 3 Jalapenos
  • 1½ lbs. tomatillos halved
  • 1 bulb of garlic
  • 1 onion quartered
  • 2 T cumin
  • 1 lime
  • 2 T white vinegar
  • Salt to taste
20230807_112634[1].jpg

Everything went into an aluminum pan and onto a kettle with oak on the side. Roasted for 30 minutes and then turned everything and let it go for another 30 minutes until the skins were getting some color...
20230807_130911[1].jpg

20230807_134427[1].jpg

20230807_142733[1].jpg

I added the red bell pepper just because I had it. Once everything was done, I removed all the skins, most of the seeds, and everything went into a bowl...
20230807_150428[1].jpg

A whole lime was squeezed into it, 2 TBSP of white vinegar and 2 TBSP of cumin were added and after a round with the immersion blender, I adjusted the salt somewhat...
20230807_151123[1].jpg

This made about 1½ quarts and was my FIRST time ever attempting a green chili salsa. I think it turned out pretty good, even better today after sitting in the fridge overnight. A little bit of heat, definitely smoky, but not too bad and everyone said they liked it. I cooked everything in the pan to try and save the juices, but in the end, I didn't use it. Next time I may just roast everything over the coals.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Carlo you see my post I just did on the hatch green chile stew? I based it on your recipe. Turned out so good. Used those Hatch from Market Street that are cleaned all ready. They where roasted and cleaned perfect. I wish I had got more but still have some f rom last year.

Last edited:
zwiller zwiller Is that the 505 brand salsa? I keep that in my pantry! Good stuff.

Jim
YEP. Good to know. Someone here pointed me to them. I am all for making stuff but there are times I've made stuff and it falls short way short of the mark. I plan to hunt for some hatch and if I score I will prep some and stick blend some into a can. My current fave is La Valentina.

Will pass this one along. No idea how I stumbled on this one but its a KEEPER! Just made it last weekend. I added a little water to thin it. I am thinking a tiny bit of cilantro would make it PERFECT. https://urbancowgirllife.com/texas-green-salsa/

So my new Vitamix blender gets here tomorrow and Hatch Chilis are on sale with free roasting and scraping at a nice grocery store near me.

I'm now looking for AMAZING (not ok, not somewhat good but amazing) Hatch or Green chili recipes for (any canning info you can provide for the sauce is appreciated as well):
  1. Hatch/Green Chili Enchilada Sauce
  2. Hatch/Green Chili and Tomatillo Salsa
  3. any hatch/green chili sauce or salsa that blows your socks off
I would love to be able to can some quarts of this stuff since I'm looking to get a case of peppers and if the sauces are amazing I may just go wild making the sauces and canning a couple dozen quarts lol.

Send me what you got and thanks in advance! :D
Take a look at my food blog, have several recipes there made with Green Chile such as my green chile stew, enchilada's and more since I'm from New Mexico, near Hatch actually! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
In for this! Doubt it will stop me from buying jar/cans tho with me being in Ohio. I got 505 coming next.
I'm sure we will get something good going here. I also got one of my Aunt's on the case. She does a number of green chili based salsas and recipes :D

I have been on the hunt for the elusive Hatch chilis and thanks to a post by LakeErieSMKR LakeErieSMKR in my thread, I made the trek to Kroger and there they were. So I came home with my new found goodies wondering what to do with them. After your post in the same thread, I decided to see what I could come up with and here it is, my experiment. I'll call this a salsa...

• 6 Hatch chilis
  • 3 Jalapenos
  • 1½ lbs. tomatillos halved
  • 1 bulb of garlic
  • 1 onion quartered
  • 2 T cumin
  • 1 lime
  • 2 T white vinegar
  • Salt to taste
View attachment 673014

Everything went into an aluminum pan and onto a kettle with oak on the side. Roasted for 30 minutes and then turned everything and let it go for another 30 minutes until the skins were getting some color...
View attachment 673015

View attachment 673016

View attachment 673017

I added the red bell pepper just because I had it. Once everything was done, I removed all the skins, most of the seeds, and everything went into a bowl...
View attachment 673020

A whole lime was squeezed into it, 2 TBSP of white vinegar and 2 TBSP of cumin were added and after a round with the immersion blender, I adjusted the salt somewhat...
View attachment 673022

This made about 1½ quarts and was my FIRST time ever attempting a green chili salsa. I think it turned out pretty good, even better today after sitting in the fridge overnight. A little bit of heat, definitely smoky, but not too bad and everyone said they liked it. I cooked everything in the pan to try and save the juices, but in the end, I didn't use it. Next time I may just roast everything over the coals.
Yep that looks very similar to my regular salsa except these are with tomatillos so I imagine it is pretty good :D

Carlo you see my post I just did on the hatch green chile stew? I based it on your recipe. Turned out so good. Used those Hatch from Market Street that are cleaned all ready. They where roasted and cleaned perfect. I wish I had got more but still have some f rom last year.
Oh yeah I saw it. My green chili pork posole (stew) is amazing! I'm actually hoping to make and can quarts of a green salsa so I can basically just dump it out to make that stew since it will likely be so close to the same ingredients :D

My plan is to buy a whole case from Market Street hahaha. BTW Kroger has choice Brisket on sale with digital coupon (no limit I think) for $1.99/lb as of today :D

YEP. Good to know. Someone here pointed me to them. I am all for making stuff but there are times I've made stuff and it falls short way short of the mark. I plan to hunt for some hatch and if I score I will prep some and stick blend some into a can. My current fave is La Valentina.

Will pass this one along. No idea how I stumbled on this one but its a KEEPER! Just made it last weekend. I added a little water to thin it. I am thinking a tiny bit of cilantro would make it PERFECT. https://urbancowgirllife.com/texas-green-salsa/
I'll check it out here shortly, for sure. Thanks! :D

Take a look at my food blog, have several recipes there made with Green Chile such as my gree chile stew, enchilada's and more since I'm from New Mexico, near Hatch actually! :)
I'll give it a look for sure thanks! :D

Hahahah I was wondering if/when he would come drop some knowledge on this topic :D

Reactions: zwiller and jcam222
you-rang.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky