Beef prices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
California has a crap load of vehicles due to the population. That's why we get soaked a the pumps. It's just because they can. No choice since you can't use mass transit with any reasonable cost or efficient use of your time.

G

California has a crap load of vehicles due to the population. That's why we get soaked a the pumps. It's just because they can. No choice since you can't use mass transit with any reasonable cost or efficient use of your time.

G
It's been running just a tad over $3 here for a while.
Tax rates have a lot to do with it and CA is famous for higher tax rates.
Every state is different...

I wonder how the holiday sales will go, or if there will even be any!
Al
Pork is relatively cheap, but China controls the vast majority of it in America. That'll probably be what's on sale for Labor Day, that and hotdogs, maybe some burger.

I try to buy in bulk when I see a deal as long as I have the space. Last week Kroger had 80/20 burger in 5 lb. chubs for $9.95/each. It wasn't labeled ground chuck, just ground beef. I bought 3 rolls for whatever may come along and vacuum sealed it in 1 lb. packs. If nothing else, I can make meatloaf or spaghetti.

I buy most of my pork from a very small local operation, but there's never enough of things like ribs and butt/shoulders, so I have to supplement it from a grocer. I try to avoid Smithfield products because of the owner. Food Lion sells Swift Premium pork products.

Gas is in the $2.65/gal range here. Diesel is ~$3.00/gal. and I drive an F250 diesel, that sucks...

Gas is 2.97 here at the no frills just credit only pumps and 3.04 at the mommy poppa stores. Add a dime to each for super.

Chris

Super is more like add .50 to .75 cents here in So Cal.

G

Both my car, as well as my wife's, call for 93 0ctane. They were both pretty low last weekend so I filled them up at the local Shell station we use where the price was $4.39/Gal. They both have 19 gallon tanks, but I don't recall how much gas I pumped. All I know was that the total cost for the 2 cars was around $145. Ouch!

Here in Iowa gas with 10 % ethanol is quite a bit cheaper than gas without ethanol... but don't know what the cost of it is, or diesel fuel for my pickup for that matter. But when I need fuel to get to the store for some overly priced beef I just need it, no matter what it costs! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Both my car, as well as my wife's, call for 93 0ctane. They were both pretty low last weekend so I filled them up at the local Shell station we use where the price was $4.39/Gal. They both have 19 gallon tanks, but I don't recall how much gas I pumped. All I know was that the total cost for the 2 cars was around $145. Ouch!
Holy Smokes!!! Where do you live, California??

Pork is relatively cheap, but China controls the vast majority of it in America. That'll probably be what's on sale for Labor Day, that and hotdogs, maybe some burger.

I try to buy in bulk when I see a deal as long as I have the space. Last week Kroger had 80/20 burger in 5 lb. chubs for $9.95/each. It wasn't labeled ground chuck, just ground beef. I bought 3 rolls for whatever may come along and vacuum sealed it in 1 lb. packs. If nothing else, I can make meatloaf or spaghetti.

I buy most of my pork from a very small local operation, but there's never enough of things like ribs and butt/shoulders, so I have to supplement it from a grocer. I try to avoid Smithfield products because of the owner. Food Lion sells Swift Premium pork products.

Gas is in the $2.65/gal range here. Diesel is ~$3.00/gal. and I drive an F250 diesel, that sucks...
What’s up w
No lie DLS I filled my 12 gallon up Monday was over 50 bucks I live in the capital of commifornia
Feeling for ya. Went to San Francisco 25 yrs ago- beautiful clean city. Up PCH to see Redwoods 😁👍👍
Put 17.78 gals in Honda Pilot on 8-25-21 at Sam’s and paid $47.81- $2.68/gal. Lowest I’ve seen since late Jan/early Feb

Last edited:
I remember when I got my Dodge Ram, in 2008, they had a $50 maximum per fill-up at "Turkey Hill".
I wanted to fill mine up, so I had to insert my Credit card in the machine 3 times to restart it enough to fill up.
First card insert got me $50 worth.
Second card insert got me the 2n'd $50 worth.
And the third card insert finished filling my 35 gallon tank up.
I think it took about $110 worth total.

Bear

If I was concerned about gas mileage, I would have gotten a Prius or some other kind of 4 banger or something. While I hate high prices, my Navigator gets what it gets.

Had a Camry (Ugh...) rental last weekend. It wasn't showing any better gas mileage than my Navigator averages.

Probably heading to Costco later to pick up a few briskets. Last week they were $4.99 for prime packers.

Reactions: ConrodM
Holy Smokes!!! Where do you live, California??

Nope, not California. I live in Hinsdale, IL, a suburb of Chicago.

Neither one of our cars, an Audi R8 and a Audi RS7, could be considered an "Economy" car by any stretch of the imagination. When I go to a gas pump I may look at the price per gallon and just shrug my shoulders and think "it is what it is", get my gas, and leave. In this case, after filling 2 cars, I was curious and checked my Amex statement when I got home and saw the total. Checking a little further, I discovered that the price per gallon at the same station was around $3.09/Gal. the first of the year. A 42% increase in 8 months is what surprised me the most.

Reactions: Displaced Texan
in 1975 i worked at Philips 66 on main in bis. nd. there was a hostile takeover in progress so i had to stay in station for 4 days. course my girlfriend and now wife brought me a 6 pack and food. gas was $.35cents gallon. i think it was 1973 gas was .25 cents a gallon in gleenwood minn. i remember the big down hill onto main and my '62 impala i would turn off ignition and then turn on again blocks down and BANG like a bomb scared crap outa people..no my muffler didnt last.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky