Beef prices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nope, not California. I live in Hinsdale, IL, a suburb of Chicago.

Neither one of our cars, an Audi R8 and a Audi RS7, could be considered an "Economy" car by any stretch of the imagination. When I go to a gas pump I may look at the price per gallon and just shrug my shoulders and think "it is what it is", get my gas, and leave. In this case, after filling 2 cars, I was curious and checked my Amex statement when I got home and saw the total. Checking a little further, I discovered that the price per gallon at the same station was around $3.09/Gal. the first of the year. A 42% increase in 8 months is what surprised me the most.
Yeahhhh I did that calculation also. Sickening.

Nope, not California. I live in Hinsdale, IL, a suburb of Chicago.

Neither one of our cars, an Audi R8 and a Audi RS7, could be considered an "Economy" car by any stretch of the imagination. When I go to a gas pump I may look at the price per gallon and just shrug my shoulders and think "it is what it is", get my gas, and leave. In this case, after filling 2 cars, I was curious and checked my Amex statement when I got home and saw the total. Checking a little further, I discovered that the price per gallon at the same station was around $3.09/Gal. the first of the year. A 42% increase in 8 months is what surprised me the most.
I'm next door in Burr Ridge. Howdy!

🍻

Reactions: ConrodM
Both my car, as well as my wife's, call for 93 0ctane. They were both pretty low last weekend so I filled them up at the local Shell station we use where the price was $4.39/Gal. They both have 19 gallon tanks, but I don't recall how much gas I pumped. All I know was that the total cost for the 2 cars was around $145. Ouch!
The Oakbrook Costco or Mariano's gas awards will help that. Better prices there, if you care.

Wow! I put over 27,000 miles on my car last year, and I work from home.
When I retired we wanted to travel a little. After visiting relatives in PA and kids in TN we decided the VW Beetle or the Outback just didn't cut it so in the fall of "19
we traded for a new Subaru Legacy. Then covid hit. No traveling. Between that and my wife's recent health issues we don't get out much.
It just cracked 3,000 miles.
I get out once or twice a week for things with the Legacy or the Outback but where I live I can get anything we need 5-20 minutes away.
The cars will probably outlive both of us LOL!

I wake up to low 80's 5-6 months a year, AC runs 24/7. Hell, it's 108º and climbing here right now Rich, tomorrow will be hotter. RAY
just came in from cutting grass, it's 88 here with high humidity, couldn't even imagine 108, i'd probably be passed out or dead in the yard.

Reactions: SmokyMose
I haven't bought beef at Costco (or anywhere else) for at least a month now. Store "sale" prices are staggering. When my big garage freezer bit the dust a couple of months ago during a heat wave, I quickly tossed out all my wife's frozen fruit, vegetables, and Lean Cuisine crap, in order to save the semi-frozen meat in 2 big coolers. Fortunately, it happened to be garbage pick up day. I called my daughter and asked her how much room she had in her chest freezer. She said, "Uh, about enough room for a turkey?"
I said, "Congratulations, you just won a turkey. Now come over here and get it."
Found another, slightly smaller freezer at Lowe's and got it home the same day. Now I'm smoking thru my stock of meat each weekend.

"Best" gas prices here in WA are at Costco. Last time I filled up, it was at $3.69 gal. I can go about 2 weeks between fill-ups in my '16 Challenger, if I only drive to the commuter bus station and back.

Here in northeast pa I've been paying 3.19. Guess I shouldn't complain to much with some of the other prices you guys are throwing out there. But I'll still complain a little

Reactions: chopsaw
I got lucky at Winn Dixie last weekend. Unfortunately this was the biggest, which is perfect, but the otheres were only 11lb . I got this and an 11lb 20210822_111904.jpg

It's crazy how a "good wage" here in California barely gets you by. If I were making the same amount and living in a place like Ohio or Tennessee, I wouldn't ever be concerned about the price of meat. As it is, I am always trying to stretch every penny. The thing is, I don't think I could live anywhere else that would have really inclimate weather. I've been spoiled all of my life with not dealing with tornadoes or hurricanes. Or God forbid SNOW!!!

G

Did anyone think they'd ever see $4.99 for ground meat? That was the "sale" price! $15 + for 3# of ground chuck.
grd beef.jpg
I swung by GFS on the way to Meijer (the Mrs. likes those individually wrapped little ribeyes that come in a box)
and they didn't even have any briskets.....

It's crazy how a "good wage" here in California barely gets you by. If I were making the same amount and living in a place like Ohio or Tennessee, I wouldn't ever be concerned about the price of meat. As it is, I am always trying to stretch every penny. The thing is, I don't think I could live anywhere else that would have really inclimate weather. I've been spoiled all of my life with not dealing with tornadoes or hurricanes. Or God forbid SNOW!!!

G
My ex-wife was offered a job once in CA by the company she was working for at a higher pay rate so she went to check it out.
When she saw the housing prices she turned tail and ran. It would have amounted to a pay cut....

Did anyone think they'd ever see $4.99 for ground meat? That was the "sale" price! $15 + for 3# of ground chuck.
View attachment 509009
I swung by GFS on the way to Meijer (the Mrs. likes those individually wrapped little ribeyes that come in a box)
and they didn't even have any briskets.....
ouch! unforuntaley i think it will get worse before it gets somewhat better, theyre was a guy selling those steaks a few months back i think it was 40 bucks for 20 ribeyes if i remember right but they were like 3-4 0z. steaks, i didn't end up getting them.

unforuntaley i think it will get worse before it gets somewhat better,
I think you're right. Hunker down and stock up if you can.
These little steaks are a little less than a half pound and there are 31 in this box. $120.
box.jpg steaks.jpg
They're sandwich steaks basically but we don't have the appetites we used to LOL and they will last a while.

I think you're right. Hunker down and stock up if you can.
These little steaks are a little less than a half pound and there are 31 in this box. $120.
View attachment 509011 View attachment 509012
They're sandwich steaks basically but we don't have the appetites we used to LOL and they will last a while.
they look a lot thicker then the ones i was looking at, i think 2 of them would of been 1/4 lb., they were like minute steaks. yours there look good.

Went to GFS Thursday morning . Some of the beef prices came down a bit , most are where they were last week .
Briskets were $4.99 a lb. I passed . Just ground one last week and still have one .
Pork spares went back up .
Butts were $2.50 a lb. Not doing that . They do have pork cushion . Comes from around the picnic . $1.79 . I bought some last week .
Chicken legs were down to .79 cents a pound . Grabbed two family packs . Tyson brand .
They did have chuck pectoral back in stock . That's an indication of shortage in my opinion . $5.49 a pound . I grabbed one pack . 14 pounds .
Comes from around the brisket . Good for steaks , roast beef or you can grind it .
I also use it for stir fry .
Eye rounds were close to 6 bucks a pound . I have 3 in the freezer from last march that were $2.98 a pound .
If you can get by on whats not so expensive the beef price will come down .

I'm next door in Burr Ridge. Howdy!

🍻

Hello, and yes, you are close by.

Coincidentally, I was in Burr Ridge a little earlier today to get an X-Ray done at the Loyola Medical Center satellite facility located there. Afterwards, met a friend for lunch at a nearby restaurant called Topaz. Are you familiar with it?

BTW, on the way back home I stopped at the Shell station I referenced earlier to exchange a propane tank for the gas grill. Out of curiosity, I checked today's price for 93 octane and it was $4.19/Gal., down $.20 cents from the $4.39/Gal. it was a week ago. I quit trying to figure that kind of crap out a long time ago.

Reactions: Displaced Texan
remember when you exchange a propane tank you only get 15#'s not 20#'s.. and does ur 93 octane contain booze?? we get pure gas at 91 octane... my wife drives a subie WRX w

Last edited:
A lot of beef is raised here in Western Colorado. If you want to buy direct from the farm and then have it processed, it’s right a 4.00 lb. That’s right at 3k for a full and 1500 for a half. Price goes up from there.

Reactions: chopsaw
Hello, and yes, you are close by.

Coincidentally, I was in Burr Ridge a little earlier today to get an X-Ray done at the Loyola Medical Center satellite facility located there. Afterwards, met a friend for lunch at a nearby restaurant called Topaz. Are you familiar with it?

BTW, on the way back home I stopped at the Shell station I referenced earlier to exchange a propane tank for the gas grill. Out of curiosity, I checked today's price for 93 octane and it was $4.19/Gal., down $.20 cents from the $4.39/Gal. it was a week ago. I quit trying to figure that kind of crap out a long time ago.
Yes, my wife loves Topaz. We go to Cooper's Hawk and Eddie Merlot's too.

Glad prices are coming down. We should try to get together and talk barbecue sometime.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky