Beef prices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wouldn't be surprised if a good part of the price increase is the packers wanting to get more than their fair share ($$$)! Have a good friend that raises cattle and it wasn't too long ago he said the packers were making $1,000 per head.

Ryan
Beef is a commodity, just like gasoline and oil.
If a gas station fills their buried tanks with $2.50 gasoline, and the next day the price of gas goes up 50 cents a gallon, they have to sell that gas 50 cents higher just to replace it. Commodities are very volatile price wise. Sometimes it looks like gouging, but often it’s the owner preparing to purchase more product at a new higher price. Don’t matter what they paid for it. Matters what they will have to pay to replace supply in the near future. That’s often why prices fluctuate.

Sure seems funny when there is investigations into the pricing of packers and nothing ever becomes of it. They sure never pass any of it on to the guys raising cattle ( I don't raise cattle, so I'm just a consumer) just know many guys that do. Can't comment anymore without getting political so I won't.

Ryan

Reactions: sawhorseray
I'm not raising animals other than a couple chickens for eggs but have heard many that do talking about the high and rising cost of feed. I heard a market report on beef yesterday saying there are less cattle being raised for sale and seems to keep going down.

I'm not raising animals other than a couple chickens for eggs but have heard many that do talking about the high and rising cost of feed. I heard a market report on beef yesterday saying there are less cattle being raised for sale and seems to keep going down.
Much of that comes from 2 things... a severe drought in areas, if they put cows on pasture many sold their cattle... no grass. And the other part is grain prices, although they have came down they are still decent. Last year we were good to sell corn at $3 a bushel, this year if you had any left to sell that wasn't sold right after harvest it went to over $7 a bushel. Also take into account certain areas that have lost their whole crop due to hail.

Ryan

Much of that comes from 2 things... a severe drought in areas, if they put cows on pasture many sold their cattle... no grass. And the other part is grain prices, although they have came down they are still decent. Last year we were good to sell corn at $3 a bushel, this year if you had any left to sell that wasn't sold right after harvest it went to over $7 a bushel. Also take into account certain areas that have lost their whole crop due to hail.

Ryan

Along with higher fuel prices, seed prices, fertilizer costs, machinery if you can even find it, and pretty much everything else.
I don't think it's any one thing that is driving up prices when inputs cost more you have to get more just to maintain the same profit margin
I've been looking at tractors and that whole thing has gotten stupid can't get new tractors and people want more than new costs for their used ones

Twin pak spares at Sam’s yesterday 8-25-21-$2.47/#. Same purchase 8-18-21 -$2.38/#. Yep- can’t afford Brisket for who knows how long 🤬

All I will say, as someone commented that when prices go up, they usually stay up, well, gas prices came way down after being at record high levels about 6 years ago or so. Hmmm, wonder why they magically went way up again this year.

And, same here Recons_Hide Recons_Hide , I won't shy away from buying meat.

Gas prices- $1.98 12/31/20.
$2.89 2-1-21 here in Florida. Supply & Demand. I’ll leave it at that 😉

Along with higher fuel prices, seed prices, fertilizer costs, machinery if you can even find it, and pretty much everything else.
I don't think it's any one thing that is driving up prices when inputs cost more you have to get more just to maintain the same profit margin
I've been looking at tractors and that whole thing has gotten stupid can't get new tractors and people want more than new costs for their used ones

Dang Jerry maybe that's why the wife is trying to sell me. :emoji_laughing:

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky