Another Ham on the WSM

Discussion in 'Pork' started by smokinal, Sep 30, 2011.

1. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I have already done a couple of ham threads & wasn't going to do anymore of them, but this ham looked so good I just had to take a photo of it & post it. It started with my favorite ham, a Smithfield cured but uncooked ham. I removed all the skin & fat and put it aside. Then I coated it with a mixture of: maple syrup, brown sugar, salt, pepper, onion powder, canola oil, paprika, Dijon mustard, and BBQ sauce. I don't measure any of the ingredients. I just put it all together & taste it. I try to make it thick so it stays on the ham. I smoked the ham at 225 in a pan with the flat side down in the juices. I put it on the bottom rack and put all the fat on the top rack above the ham so it drips on the ham & keep it moist. I take it to 148 IT, put a foil tent on the pan & rest it for 15 to 20 minutes. I'm sorry I don't have any of the preparation photo's, but here is how she looked ready to slice.

Here is a link to another one of my ham threads with more details & prep photo's, the only difference was this time I added BBQ sauce to the glaze.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...smithfield-cured-uncooked-on-the-wsm-w-q-view

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then slicing it up.

[​IMG]

On a plate with a little of the pan juice on top.

[​IMG]

And of course the drool shot for my buddie Bear!

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking! Hope you all enjoyed the show! I promise no more ham threads! 

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. slownlow

slownlow Smoking Fanatic

beautiful job Al!! Man looks so good!!!!! :drool

3. tom c

tom c Smoking Fanatic

I'm hungry.

4. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

That looks Awesome...I'm way overdue for a Smoked Ham!...The Kids like Ham simmered with Cabbage and Potatoes, Carrots, Celery, Onions, Etc. I'm going to have to invoke the rarely used, "My Way or the Highway" Doctrine!...JJ

5. That looks fantastic. Way to go Al.  Now I'm schooled in ham. I wonder if

there is a way to capture more drippings for a super ham gravy? Thanks Al...James

6. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

OMG !!!!!

That is the best looking Ham I ever saw in my life (nearly 63 years) !!!!!!!!

Totally Awesome!!!

ALL of your pics are BearViews!!!

I for one will be back to this thread many times, just to gaze at this Beauty!!!

Thanks Al,

Bear

7. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Great looking chow Al!!

Craig

8. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looking Good My Friend!

Todd

9. smokinal

Thanks guys!

10. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

O M G AL this ham looks amazing what a color on this one and the juice O BOY i need ta towel now to wipe my chin & beard.

11. smokinal

Thanks Ahron!

12. teeznuts

teeznuts Master of the Pit

The color on that ham is beautiful! You could do a ham thread every week if they look like that. keep em coming.

13. smokinal

Thanks Teez!

14. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Just Me Again Al !!!

I just stopped in for about my 10th peek at that Ham.

I think it even looks better than it did the first couple times I stared at it !!!!

Thanks,

Bear

15. smokinal

Thanks Bear!

That's the reason I posted this, it really had an unusual color to it.

Hope I can do it the same next time!

16. billyj571

billyj571 Smoking Fanatic

Looks real good SmokinAl Kinda strange glow to it.

17. teeznuts

teeznuts Master of the Pit

Dang Al I just clicked on the link to your Easter ham and noticed that smithfields only have to go to 148°. I just did a smithfield earlier and assumed it was 160. Guess I should've read the label or clicked your link sooner. next time its 148!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  18. smokinal

Yea they are a lot juicier at 148.

19. Thanks mate, I am going to have a go at your recipe. Thanks SmokinAl

20. smokinal

That's great Diesel, let us know how it turns out.