Spiral Cut Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Yes Steve, come on.

I just hate seeing all the prepared meats like salami, pepperoni, pastrami, baloney, roast beef etc all ready sliced in small vac packs
in the store cooler shelves . Ready for some poor slob like me to take home and make their own subs or pizza. Just how lazy have us as humans become that we do not posses the ability to pick up a 6 pound roast and take home cook and slice it ourselves, to make one sandwich .

This is just my take on what happened here in this post by OldSmoke OldSmoke and his beautiful all ready sliced ham. ( wish I had that for supper last night and not a terrible burger from Ronald MacDonald's house )
It got out of hand by a rant that really made no sense to me as it unfolded. There is a purpose for meats the way they are sold . Because people are buying them.

If you ( Jokerswild ) don't like something that is fine , state your concerns and than move on. Or you can start your own thread on what you really do not like in the food world. And people can come to that thread and join in on your comments.

Now that I have just woke up and maybe pissed off a couple folks , I will go to work now and see who else I can make dislike me before noon at least.

Have a good day everyone. ( and I can't believe someone dislikes Rhubarb, lol )

David

Reactions: Steve H and jcam222
That is a beautiful looking ham! And as Steve H Steve H said they are really good, if cooked properly! Years ago we overcooked one in the oven and dried it out... not good. But have had many we loved since then.

Ryan

Reactions: OldSmoke
Years ago we overcooked one in the oven and dried it out...
Yea, my first one was trending that direction. This time I made sure to keep the water pan filled and pulled it a bit early. It came out great. I’m also using propane which can add moister to the cabinet.

Well my mom just ask me to double smoke a ham to go with her fresh ham she's always cooked.
Should I go to the trouble to find a non spiral cut ham?

Well my mom just ask me to double smoke a ham to go with her fresh ham she's always cooked.
Should I go to the trouble to find a non spiral cut ham?
Guess is depends on who you ask lol. I like the spiral cut ones. Always thought of them as being a completely different thing than a regular smoked ham.
I coat them in my regular pulled pork rub which is basically Meathead's Memphis Dust with a bit more garlic and chipotle powder. Always turns out good.

I have one I'm doing Sunday morning for Christmas eve . Be a first time with a spiral cut , but not the first time around a smoker . Gonna be just fine .
I like the honey based basting recipe I found.
Sounds good . I used apricot preserves , bourbon and brown sugar once .
I did a shank portion last Easter that was Sticky Pig mustard sauce as a base . Honey , brown sugar and peach jam .
20230408_164816 (1).jpg
After seeing the spiral cut you did , I decided to try one . I hope mine comes out as good as yours . Enjoy .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky