Spiral Cut Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 5, 2020
Oregon
I picked up a nice 8lb spiral ham at Costco. I like the honey based basting recipe I found. I baste it then coat it with a brown sugar and spice rub.

IMG_2424.jpeg

I’m smoking it using apple At 235. In between rain storms. It seems the atmospheric rivers have painted a target on Oregon.

IMG_2425.jpeg

About three hours later…

IMG_2426.jpeg

We will use it Christmas Day when we have friends over for prime rib and ham sliders and games. The largest part I am giving to a friend that is on hard times.

One piece fell off so I had to try it and it tastes pretty darn great!

Great looking ham!
We always double smoke 2 or 3 extra this time of year while the sales are on to stock the freezer. Kroger finally go back down to $1.99/lb this year.

Reactions: JLeonard
I picked up a nice 8lb spiral ham at Costco. I like the honey based basting recipe I found. I baste it then coat it with a brown sugar and spice rub.

View attachment 682982

I’m smoking it using apple At 235. In between rain storms. It seems the atmospheric rivers have painted a target on Oregon.

View attachment 682981

About three hours later…

View attachment 682979

We will use it Christmas Day when we have friends over for prime rib and ham sliders and games. The largest part I am giving to a friend that is on hard times.

One piece fell off so I had to try it and it tastes pretty darn great!
YUM!!!
I love glazed ham, and more so the great sandwiches that come after the main meal. Your ham looks killer!!!

Looks great! I did similar for Thanksgiving. My niece - a notoriously picky eater - always says it’s the best ham ever.

Thanks for the likes! The ham came out really delicious. This is now my favorite recipe.

Its amazing how quickly it disappears just standing at the counter sampling!

Reactions: LoydB
Someone explain..Spiral cut ham to me. WHY??????? Is this for people too dumb to cut ham? Dont own a sharp knife? For people that PREFER tiny dried out pages of ham?

Ham is a wonderful thing. Spiral is an ABOMINATION!
I am more than a little surprised anyone would be so passionately against a spiral ham lol. I'd further say suggesting it's for dumb people doesn't fit the spirit of this board.

Reactions: gmc2003 and cashnow
A spiral ham is great for sandwiches. It also allows more of the glaze into the ham. I do both, but the spiral does taste better. Most of the ham was donated to a friend on hard times. Being sliced makes it easier. It does not dry out and yes, I do have sharp knives.

I’ll be happy to contribute to any question you ask and provide support. I do not appreciate your slam on my cooking. We all experiment and try new things and learn from each other. In this case, it worked and turned out pretty darned tasty for an abomination.

Reactions: SmokingUPnorth
Not to start or continue a disagree of anyone's opinion but I don't particularly care for spiral hams. Yet I've had some that tasted awesome. I have no proof of it, but I was told they use their lowest quality ham for spiral hams as a way to use them up. We all have to agree there is some reason to it.

Warren

We all have our preferences on foods no doubt. I have occasions I'd use spiral and other times uncut. Love them or hate them demand for them during the holidays is high. The drivers in the market when it began were likely 1) Convenient consistent slices and 2) Flavor / glaze not only on the surface but between slices. The inventor of the spiralizer patented it and went on to start the Honey baked Ham franchise. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/09/dining/spiral-ham.html

Jeff has a recipe here where you open the slices and add rub and maple syrup between each before you smoke. I've tried it, and it's pretty good that way.

Reactions: JLeonard and BigW.
Cooked properly a spiral cut ham is great. I cook them the normal way. Cut end down. And the last 30 minutes or so. Put it on its side. Fluff open the slices. And baste with pineapple brown sugar mixture. And doing this in a smoker? The whole street will want to name their next kid after you after having a slice!

Thats

basically how I cook a regular ham. Dr Pepper, Pinneapple, clove, brown sugar. Why spiral? I can give the neighbors a thicker juicy slice, with the same flavor profile without someone at the factory cutting it for me... And the neighbor mave HAVE to name their kid after me after his wife gets a taste! lol.

Ive still got drippings in the ban. I can bathe the slices if need be, or make an amazing red eye gravy.

Everyone keep giving me reasons..so far I have no reason for the spiral ham to exist...

Dont get me started on Rhubarb!
Another method is to take a foil pan. Punch a bunch of small holes in it. Put a pound of thick cut bacon and a cup of brown sugar in it. Mix it up. And put on a rack over the ham in the smoker. Self basting. And as a perk. You get bacon candy.

Someone explain..Spiral cut ham to me. WHY??????? Is this for people too dumb to cut ham? Dont own a sharp knife? For people that PREFER tiny dried out pages of ham?
Do you raise, and butcher your own pigs? Do you grind all your own burger meat? It's called convenience, and if your attempts at a spiral ham aren't turning as well as a shank. Then I'd say it's more of a pit-master problem.

1703082600531.png

OldSmoke OldSmoke that sure is one pretty ham. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky