2012 Masterbuilt Smokers - NEW 30" & 40" Models!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I do mean the 40
drool.gif

Maybe I will be lucky and get the all SS one from them
yahoo.gif
Yup----That's what happened to me----Went to Cabelas, expecting the black one in their picture, but their picture was wrong---All of 44 of them were all SS.

Bear

the closest Cabelas is 21/2 hours away!
Called and all they had was the display model and it was SS door and black..
By ordering u never knowThumbs Up

I just purchased the MES 40" new model from Sams for $299 two weekends ago and used it last weekend and it works great. I will check my manual when I get home and see what is says about the wattage and re-post.

Just got this from Bass Pro site;

"Updated for easier smoking the Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse now features an easy-to-read blue LED display and a built-in viewing window. Thermostat temperature controls ensure even cooking temperatures up to 275°F. Smoker includes a wireless remote that controls temperature, time, internal light, ON/OFF, and monitors meat temperature from up to 100' away. Meat probe thermometer works with the remote, allowing you to stay inside while monitoring and adjusting the smoker outside! 1200 watt element. 40" smoker has four racks and also comes with wheels, handle, and a removable drip pan. Cooking capacity: 973 square inches. Dimensions: 19.6"L x 25.73"W x 40.1"H. Weight: 72 lbs"

Can I ask why Bear? Our Sams has the new model on display.. Is Walmart any better? We don't have a lot of Big stores in this county place
At the risk of getting slammed...you guys DO realize that Sam's and WalMart are the same company and get their products from the same suppliers, right???

At the risk of getting slammed...you guys DO realize that Sam's and WalMart are the same company and get their products from the same suppliers, right???
LOL---I would imagine everybody knows that.

Good to mention though, just in case.

Bear

Mine is has the s/s door and black everywhere else. I didnt use the meat probe yet so I cant way what the accuracy is on it. The temp on the smoker and my maverick is about 15-20 degrees off with the maverick being the higher temp. I have only done some St Louis style ribs so far and they came out great. Probably will doing either some shoulders or a brisket soon.

I have a old mes thats all ss.  No window.  Not sure what gen it is.

Wow! This thread started over four months ago and since then there  have been 536 post discussing the Masterbuilt 30 & 40s.

I decided to purchase my MES 30 (2011 model)  back in February after reading what this thread had discussed up to that point. I did so knowing the flaws the Gen 1& 2 brought with it. I knew I had the skills to do the rewiring and relugging of the cheap and under size wires that came with the units. So far, I have only had the problem of inaccurate temperature readings of the digital controller.

As far as I'm concerned I have a pretty nice little smoker that my family and I have enjoyed.

I still can’t wrap my head around WHY we can’t truly calibrate the controller to compensate for the inaccurate temp. readings.

After all, the manufacturer had to calibrate it and set the parameters before they let it go to the consumer, didn’t they?

I don’t know enough about electronics to make the determination of which PID components to purchase to replace the (malfunctioning or uncalibrated) one that comes with the unit and still have it work with the remote. If I did, I would gladly be on it like stink on a polecat.

Masterbuilt, with all their good will in customer support would serve themselves well by making known how to access the code sequence to make these adjustments. It has to be there! I honestly believe it can be done through the remote provided with the unit.

Wow! This thread started over four months ago and since then there  have been 536 post discussing the Masterbuilt 30 & 40s.

I decided to purchase my MES 30 (2011 model)  back in February after reading what this thread had discussed up to that point. I did so knowing the flaws the Gen 1& 2 brought with it. I knew I had the skills to do the rewiring and relugging of the cheap and under size wires that came with the units. So far, I have only had the problem of inaccurate temperature readings of the digital controller.

As far as I'm concerned I have a pretty nice little smoker that my family and I have enjoyed.

I still can’t wrap my head around WHY we can’t truly calibrate the controller to compensate for the inaccurate temp. readings.

After all, the manufacturer had to calibrate it and set the parameters before they let it go to the consumer, didn’t they?

I don’t know enough about electronics to make the determination of which PID components to purchase to replace the (malfunctioning or uncalibrated) one that comes with the unit and still have it work with the remote. If I did, I would gladly be on it like stink on a polecat.

Masterbuilt, with all their good will in customer support would serve themselves well by making known how to access the code sequence to make these adjustments. It has to be there! I honestly believe it can be done through the remote provided with the unit.

Are you sure the temp reading is wrong? Have you tried putting another temp probe right next to the MES sensor???

If you get 220 with a Maverick probe laying on the top shelf, on the left side, and your MES says it's 250 under the second shelf, on the right side, it could be that they are both right.

Bear

Yes, I placed the placed the Taylor probe which reads 3* low, verified doing the boiling water test, about a 1/4 " from the sensor. The Taylor probe was stuck through a Tater that was at box temp also. The MES sensor probe reads 18* lower than the Taylor.

Be back shortly, my Spare Rib is making me go to Home Depot to pick up a few pieces of sod.

Yes, I placed the placed the Taylor probe which reads 3* low, verified doing the boiling water test, about a 1/4 " from the sensor. The Taylor probe was stuck through a Tater that was at box temp also. The MES sensor probe reads 18* lower than the Taylor.

Be back shortly, my Spare Rib is making me go to Home Depot to pick up a few pieces of sod.

OK---Just checking, because Temps vary a lot from one area to another.

Also, the Digital wireless therms go up faster & down faster than the MES---Probably because the MES sensor is built into the back wall.

So often times if the heat is rising, the Mav will be above the MES, and if the heat is dropping the Mav will be lower than the MES.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky