WHAT YA SMOKING LABOR DAY! INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
already made some smoked butt Posolé Verdé.
Posole 8-19 3.JPG

Smokin 2 butts, smokin baked beans
and smokin 15lbs of potatoes for close to 40 guests (mostly family). Slaw people are bringing the rest of the sides and dessert

Reactions: SouthernSmoked
WinCo had some choice tri tips on sale for $3.98 / lb last night, so my mind got made up for me. One for dinner tomorrow, the other one to slice for sandwiches on fresh hard rolls over the weekend. Smoked mac and cheese to keep them company in the smoker for the last hour. Quartered heirloom tomatoes warm from the garden, liberally seasoned with Tajin will round off the plate.

Reactions: SouthernSmoked
Have a wedding out of town on Saturday, so that's out. Been craving a brisket or the elusive beef ribs for awhile lately. May just end up doing some spares to get the memory of some food truck ribs I had at the racetrack out of my mouth☺.
Hard to beat spares!!

WinCo had some choice tri tips on sale for $3.98 / lb last night, so my mind got made up for me. One for dinner tomorrow, the other one to slice for sandwiches on fresh hard rolls over the weekend. Smoked mac and cheese to keep them company in the smoker for the last hour. Quartered heirloom tomatoes warm from the garden, liberally seasoned with Tajin will round off the plate.
Perfect!

Safeway has standing rib roasts on sale this week so I picked up a whole one in the bag, $4.97lb.
DSCN1093.JPG

I backed off the ribs and cut the prime in half, one half for 1&1/2" boneless ribeyes, the other half for a Labor Day smoke on the SQ36.
DSCN1095.JPG

I'll make a rub for the roast Sunday and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Fire up the smoker first thing Monday morning. The plan is to smoke it over oak at around 250º-275º until the IT hits around 129º, we like it on the rare side of life. I'd like to do something with that rack of ribs I backed off, tho being a newb I'm not exactly sure how to go about things. I've been getting rib roasts at Xmas and Easter and backing off the bones to make steaks for a long time. Every effort I've ever made trying to cook the ribs has resulted in something so tough it's hard to chew and swallow, tho my dog Bob always seems thrilled with the end result. Maybe low and slow like baby backs? Wrap them? There's really no where to stick a meat probe into the rack. Any advise on temp and time would be greatly appreciated. RAY

Weather permitting, I'm going Mexican this year. It will be the first time trying it with ingredients that don't come out of a yellow box.

Chris

Safeway has standing rib roasts on sale this week so I picked up a whole one in the bag, $4.97lb.
View attachment 404472
I backed off the ribs and cut the prime in half, one half for 1&1/2" boneless ribeyes, the other half for a Labor Day smoke on the SQ36.
View attachment 404474

I'll make a rub for the roast Sunday and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Fire up the smoker first thing Monday morning. The plan is to smoke it over oak at around 250º-275º until the IT hits around 129º, we like it on the rare side of life. I'd like to do something with that rack of ribs I backed off, tho being a newb I'm not exactly sure how to go about things. I've been getting rib roasts at Xmas and Easter and backing off the bones to make steaks for a long time. Every effort I've ever made trying to cook the ribs has resulted in something so tough it's hard to chew and swallow, tho my dog Bob always seems thrilled with the end result. Maybe low and slow like baby backs? Wrap them? There's really no where to stick a meat probe into the rack. Any advise on temp and time would be greatly appreciated. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky