Went Fishing, Caught Fish, Cooked Fish and Ate Them

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
A beautiful if windy as hell day in Gulf Shores, Alabama.

The Sheepshead were in full feeding and breeding mode around the pier and I managed to get my limit and my son got a few too.

A great day to say the least, and even better is the eating that comes with a awesome catch.

For the kids, good'ol fried fish and fries.

For the adults, iron skillet fried Lemon Pepper and Bronzed Cajun, with fries and salad.

Lemon Pepper

Cajun

Special request, whole grilled, salted and basted with lots of butter.

YES! That is definitely good eating right there! I love the full fish when it's been grilled like that. We have a Hispanic lady that makes them like that for us at work once a month or so!

Points for keeping the kids involved and good food!

Yummy for sure. 

Looks like a great day of fishin.

Cant have anything with the head on here.    Wife has issues.

YES! That is definitely good eating right there! I love the full fish when it's been grilled like that. We have a Hispanic lady that makes them like that for us at work once a month or so!

Points for keeping the kids involved and good food!
I love whole fish any way I can cook them, more flavor and more meat.
So much meat is lost to filleting, collar, cheeks and head all have great meat.

Nate is an accomplished fisherman, surf and pier, he has been my constant fishing buddy since he was six, now 11.
He puts me to shame sometimes, and is usually the one to get the skunk off us and put a fish in the cooler.

Appreciate the comment on the Point.
Yummy for sure. 

Looks like a great day of fishin.

Cant have anything with the head on here.    Wife has issues.
It was a very good day, lots of regulars to chat with and the fish were biting.
Thanks for the Point.

Everything looks tasty!

Hope to catch a few fish at the end of the month too. The ocean hasn't been too nice this winter.

Nice job teaching the boy how to fish,pretty soon he'll be taking you.

Nice catch the cheeks are like scallops Points

Richie

Wow, Great post, Fun day and a great meal  It looks Fantastic  
points1.png

Gary

That looks fantastic. Nice job (points for making me wish I had some fish).
points.gif

Last edited:
Everything looks tasty!

Hope to catch a few fish at the end of the month too. The ocean hasn't been too nice this winter.
Sat winds were 20-25mph gusting 35mph, swell 5-8' and morning temps were in the mid 40s with a wicked wind chill. But the fish were hungry and horny, and once they started biting we forgot about the weather for the most part.
Nice pile of cooked fish! Definitely worth a point!
Thanks for the Point.
Excellent looking meal!

Point!

Al
Thanks Al, appreciate the Point.
After googling "Sheepshead" and reading about them, you should take a picture of the teeth. This fish is supposed to have a front row of human-type teeth

I have never cooked fish whole. I would like to try some day.
Pretty freaky looking chompers, eh? Made for crushing/grinding barnacles, mussels and oysters, crabs shrimp and other crustaceans.
Whole fish is fantastic, my favorite way to eat fish.
Nice job teaching the boy how to fish,pretty soon he'll be taking you.
Nice catch the cheeks are like scallops Points
Richie
Yes indeed, I tell him often that one day he'll be taking me out and sporting the bill.
Thanks for the Point.
Wow, Great post, Fun day and a great meal It looks Fantastic :points1:

Gary
Thanks for the compliments and Point.
That looks fantastic. Nice job (points for making me wish I had some fish).:points:
Thank you, too kind, appreciate the Point.
Looks fantastic! And my favorite style fries to boot! Crinkle cut! None of the burger joints around here serve them you always get the shoestring ones.
Crinkle cut fries by request of our baby girl (8yrs'ol), she loves them. I love waffle fries.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky