Baaa'd To the Bone

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
A rainy Labor Day Weekend here on the Alabama Gulf Coast but I'm not letting it slow my smoking down. Even though I'm cooking enough to last through tomorrow, today's pace in the kitchen is relaxed as I've spread things out over the day.
Things, lots of things, good things, yummy things... Oh yeah!
What kind'a things you ask? Well let me tell you.

The Menu

Breakfast

Breakfast, a good day deserves a good breakfast to start it out right.
Double Cheese Cheesy Grits with three Sunny Side Eggs

QFRDWsk.jpg

The Leg of Lamb
A 5lb Leg of Lamb seasoned with lemon, fresh herbs and spices.
Smoked at 250°-280° over Cherry, took about 2.75 hours to reach an IT of 140° which I pulled it off at. I wrapped it in foil and let it rest while I finished the sprouts. Final temp check at slicing, the IT rose to 146° during it's rest.
It was garnished with a Lemon/Mint Gremolata.

VWFwQRg.jpg

d1ZA8zc.jpg

Ready to hit the smoker

lGIY2pb.jpg

L2VKkgol.jpg

Looking pretty good

u8NrXd2.jpg

Time to take it off

Ib4uPhx.jpg

IT 146° after resting, perfect medium rare

mkxYsKo.jpg

Smoked Pork Neck Bones-n-Beans
4lbs plus of meaty Pork Neck Bones rubbed with my pork rub.
Smoked at 250°-280° with hickory, over a huge pan of Creole Cream Style Red Beans with onion and bell pepper.

yPOksLa.jpg

jzPjYHC.jpg

They took about three hours of smoke, dripping their goodness into the beans below.
I put them in with the beans for another hour.
And lastly I pulled them back out, pulled the meat off the bones and mixed it into the beans.

iet0lTc.jpg

5UBghKn.jpg

hLGAXQl.jpg

eVVuE2C.jpg

Cast Iron Brussel Sprouts with Bacon, Onion and Garlic <<< Link

Precook bacon

ihUNJDt.jpg

qSs3Mci.jpg

Precook onions and garlic with chopped bacon

dHZwqhF.jpg

Fry single layers of halved sprouts in bacon grease till bottoms are well bronzed

2ERXUfP.jpg

Combine all together and saute for 5 minutes

Y9VEY5m.jpg

Mac-n-Cheese Waffle experimentation inspired by hillbillyrkstr hillbillyrkstr
I made the first one with straight mac-n-cheese and it didn't work out very well.
The next batch I added a cup of panko crumbs and an egg to about 3-4C of mac-n-cheese.
Those cooked up much better with a nice consistency.
All of them were made with bacon and jalapeno.
I found these to be quite interesting, with much potential if the time is taken to perfect a good recipe.
I think they need a lot more savory flavor incorporated into them.
My wife was kind'a indifferent, she ate a few pieces and said it reminded her of cheesy cornbread.
My brat kids wouldn't even try them, I think they perceived me to be abusing perfectly good mac-n-cheese.

PvOoWkG.jpg

g2aZ3To.jpg

Oddegan's Bacon Grease Ginger Snaps <<< Link
Big and spicy Ginger Snaps with a chewy center of homemade Candied Ginger.
The candied was better than the crystallized, larger, softer and chewier.

EQJT8DQ.jpg

EctDlec.jpg

The Finale

Oyo76wR.jpg

Attachments

• iVBlr1f.jpg
    iVBlr1f.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Wow, Baaad to the bone is right. Now that’s what I’d call a feast. I think I need a cigarette after seeing all that lol I guess my smoked meatloaf will have to do tonight. Good job.

Dang it John you rocked that cook. Kinda surprised about the kids not liking the M-n-C. It looks like it has a good crust and most kids love crust.

Point for sure.

Chris

Wow Chile!! 6:15 am here on the East Coast, I ain't had breakfast yet. My stomach is poking my spine telling me I want that!
I'm thinking beans and brussel sprouts to go with PP today;)

Yessir!
I don't know where to start...I'd be happy at the kids table with a waffle and beans.
Thank ya kindly MC.
Just damn Chili! You outdid yourself.

George
Too kind George, appreciate it.
Wow, Baaad to the bone is right. Now that’s what I’d call a feast. I think I need a cigarette after seeing all that lol I guess my smoked meatloaf will have to do tonight. Good job.
Thanks SL, very nice of ya.

Reactions: SmokinLogs
Breakfast
I messed with the waffles again and came up with a wonderfully twisted Huevos Rancheros.
This time it was approx 1C Panko, 2eggs, 1/8C water and 4-5C of mac-n-cheese.
Added in chopped onion, jalapeno and dusted with Tony Chachere's 'More Spice'.
Topped the waffle with leftover beans and a couple of eggs.

xjDLFw3.jpg

Last edited:
I'd eat that upside down and blindfolded!
Thanks Kris, careful there, don't wanna upset the digestion.
Dang it John you rocked that cook. Kinda surprised about the kids not liking the M-n-C. It looks like it has a good crust and most kids love crust.

Point for sure.

Chris
Thanks very much Chris.
Don't know either man, my kids can be weird sometimes.
Wow Chile!! 6:15 am here on the East Coast, I ain't had breakfast yet. My stomach is poking my spine telling me I want that!
I'm thinking beans and brussel sprouts to go with PP today;)
Thank you, your breakfast is posted above.

Reactions: meatallica
OMG!!! That's a lot of Beautiful Stuff, again!!
I could start right now with that Breakfast, and I already ate (5 hours ago).
All looks Magnificent!!
Nice Job, John!
Like.

Bear

OMG!!! That's a lot of Beautiful Stuff, again!!
I could start right now with that Breakfast, and I already ate (5 hours ago).
All looks Magnificent!!
Nice Job, John!
Like.

Bear
Very kind of ya John, appreciate the compliments and Like.
Plenty of leftovers and its about lunch time.
Thanks again.

Another epic feast at the Relleno's. Damn, how many people do you cook for? Though whole meal looks great I'm one of those who detests brussel sprouts. Like!

We do a full leg of lamb every few weeks, though we prefer ours a bit less done than you. I generally cut some small slits in the flesh then stuff the slits with something of garlic and herb seasoning "paste" then slow cook it in a 200F oven or smoker to an IT of 117F-120F. I then wrap it in HD foil, a heavy towel, and into a warm cooler for around 45 minutes. Just prior to when it's time to slice and serve, it then goes in a 550F oven or grill for around 7 minutes. With the carryover from the initial cook plus the final short blast of heat the finished IT is usually around 128F.

Last edited:
Reactions: nicefly
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky