Thawed Chuck Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dj mishima

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Canton, MI
I thawed a chuck roast for the first time today. Well, it actually took 3 or 4 days to thaw in the refrigerator. I didn't have a vacuum sealer at the time that I froze it, so I just wrapped it pretty well in plastic wrap and then foil.

I noticed that there is a spot of grey on the roast. I smelled it and it doesn't smell off. Is this just freezer burn? If so, what should I do? Should I trim that part off? Or is this meat possibly not safe to cook?

Grey on beef is fine (i think its just a bit of oxidation, soneone correct me if I'm wrong) Sniff test for beef and I'm all good. Based on your description I would - and have- cook it up.

Water Rat has you covered. As long as it doesn’t smell terrible you are good to go. I did the same just yesterday on a chuck roast and it turned out great

I'm planning to smoke it pretty much like this https://www.smoking-meat.com/january-19-2017-smoked-chuck-roast

There was a buy one get one free sale at the grocery store a little over a month ago. I did the first one the same way and liked how it turned out. But, I froze the other one for later. And later is now.

I didn't make a post of the first one. I forgot to get back into the habit of taking pictures of my food, lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky