Chuck Roast Quesadillas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dj mishima

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Canton, MI
I forgot to take pictures early on. But, I mostly followed this process to smoke : Https://www.smoking-meat.com/january-19-2017-smoked-chuck-roast
I did it with a sweet rub and mustard. But, I put a little bit of worcestershire on before I used spicy brown mustard.

Here's the roast after it took 7 hours to reach 160 IT @ 225F.
20190716_182554.jpg

I wrapped it in parchment paper and put it back in the smoker. This was a very long cook. I wonder if the paper actually acted as an insulator. At one point, I increased the smoker temperature to 250. After 16 hours, IT was 190. I set up the MES to cook for 2 more hours and fell asleep. When I pulled the roast in the morning, it had been resting for 3 hours in the smoker. I started pulling the roast apart when I remembered to take pictures again.
20190717_084300.jpg
20190717_084838.jpg
20190717_084827.jpg
The bark turned out great and some parts of the meat had a smoke ring that went all the way to the center of the roast. I finished pulling the meat apart and put it away in a Tupperware type container until I could figure out how I wanted to serve it. After sampling some of the chuck, of course.

I decided to go with quesadillas. I still had a good amount of Oaxacan cheese in the refrigerator and a jar of unopened salsa. So, I just made up a batch of spicy pickled red onions.
When I was ready to eat, I grabbed a portion of pulled beef and chopped it up. Tossed it in the microwave in a covered but not sealed container for 20 seconds. Here's the quesadilla assembly :
20190719_121751.jpg
20190719_122037.jpg
20190719_122233.jpg
20190719_122510.jpg
20190719_122540.jpg

Even though this cook took much longer than I was expecting, it was the best chuck roast I've done thus far. The quesadillas turned out great too.

Thanks WaterRat and SmokinVOLfan for the help when I was thawing it out!

Looks great to me! Smoking meat takes more time than people realize when you first start. Eventually you get a few sleeplessness nights and learn. I run MES too and 90m per pound at 275F is pretty dang close.

Looks great to me! Smoking meat takes more time than people realize when you first start. Eventually you get a few sleeplessness nights and learn. I run MES too and 90m per pound at 275F is pretty dang close.

I did one a little over a month ago. They were both about 3 pounds. I had the smoker hotter last time around 250 for the whole smoke because I was using the chip loader instead of my amnps. This time was the first smoke that I started using the maze again. I had to replace my old MES30 and now my maze won't fit where it did on the old one. I had to use up a rack for it. Anyways, the last chuck roast I did was done in about half the time as this one. But this one was also thawed out. I don't know if that might have had something to do with the longer time.

Chuck roasts are on sale again this week at Kroger, so I might be doing some more soon. Though, this time I think I'll smoke both of them and use my new vacuum sealer to freeze the extra pulled beef instead of freezing a raw roast.

I've been on this site for 8 years now, lol. I'm not exactly new, but I always have things to learn.

Reactions: zwiller
Sorry DJ I didn't take the time to look that up!

It's all good. Like, I said, I'm no expert. To be fair, I've been getting back into smoking this summer. Got a black Friday sale MES30 to replace one that crapped out on me. So, it's been over a year since I've been bbq'ing regularly.

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky