Smoked Chuck Roast saving leftovers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Randy1

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 18, 2023
Smoked a 2.5 pound chuck roast a few weeks ago. Four hours without wrapping, the wrapped in peach paper to finish. It was exceptionally good tasting featuring good smoke ring, and bark. Right after super, I carefully removed any unwanted fat then sucked, and sealed it in a plastic bag, chopped form for freezer storage.
The other night we reheated it in the oven at 375F covered. it was still juicy, but the flavor was bland.

I am thinking, this small chuck roast just doesn't have enough time in the smoker as compared to a brisket or pork butt. I remember in my first bbq adventure many, many moons ago, I cut a pork butt in half to speed cooking. Not such a good idea, ending with very bland flavor.

So the question is, does everybody find reheated chuck roast a bit bland? All the rest of my BBQ products reheats very well.

Reactions: JLeonard
The one I cooked one nite and reheated the next night in my sous vide was amazing. Added some beef broth into the bag w the meat and just let it sit at like 150 all.

Had a bit of leftover gravy and added the beef broth to that gravy, holy smokey goodness. My wife doesnt impress alot when I do stuff like that and she was even amazwd at how good it was

I'll let you know later, smoked a chuck roast last Friday, sampled some but didn't eat it for supper because of the lateness when it finished. Having it for supper tonight. It was so good I didn't think my wife was gonna let me have any.

Ryan

Reactions: seenred
Left over smoked chuck is a fav in our house. But we always have it added with other stuff….

Here is an example of several cooks……with left overs. The key to pulled chuck is it needs to be hit with bit of salt after or the jus like in the link. The jus in the link retains the beef tallow which when added to the chuck makes it over the top good!
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...-chucks-a-tale-in-pictures-and-words….318607/

Reactions: jcam222
I'll let you know later, smoked a chuck roast last Friday, sampled some but didn't eat it for supper because of the lateness when it finished. Having it for supper tonight. It was so good I didn't think my wife was gonna let me have any.

Ryan
Ryan, what size was that chuck? Glad it came out super tasty.

Ryan, what size was that chuck? Glad it came out super tasty.
It was very good tonight as well! Didn't pay attention to the size but it was this size...

20231027_144748.jpg

Dang varmints started getting into it lol!

Ryan

I'm guessing it was about a 4 pounder... I had bought two on sale and the 2nd was 4.05 lbs.

Ryan

I make large dinners with plenty of leftovers. Brisket, roasts, whole chickens (halved), chili, lamb, etc. All leftovers (meat and sauces) get vac sealed and tossed in my deep freezer.

On deck for this week will be
Lasagna (this is a massive lasagna), meatballs (3lbs meat worth), and another batch of brisket chili (3lbs ground beef, 2lbs brisket). All will be vac sealed for easy dinners. Any meat gets a little "juice" from the cook added per bag. This helps retain full flavor and moisture.

I'm guessing it was about a 4 pounder... I had bought two on sale and the 2nd was 4.05 lbs.

Ryan

Ryan
Ryan, I think that is the answer. My chuck was just too small. A bigger roast like your 4 pounder would have enough time to render the fat better. That and I was running out of time so the rest period was very short. I will try again with a 4 pounder.

Smoked a 2.5 pound chuck roast a few weeks ago. Four hours without wrapping, the wrapped in peach paper to finish. It was exceptionally good tasting featuring good smoke ring, and bark. Right after super, I carefully removed any unwanted fat then sucked, and sealed it in a plastic bag, chopped form for freezer storage.
The other night we reheated it in the oven at 375F covered. it was still juicy, but the flavor was bland.

I am thinking, this small chuck roast just doesn't have enough time in the smoker as compared to a brisket or pork butt. I remember in my first bbq adventure many, many moons ago, I cut a pork butt in half to speed cooking. Not such a good idea, ending with very bland flavor.

So the question is, does everybody find reheated chuck roast a bit bland? All the rest of my BBQ products reheats very well.
Hi there and welcome!
I never had an issue BUT If saving you might want to keep the fat with the meat and remove it after reheating in the future. Fat = flavor and with it gone during the reheat you may have lost a bit of flavor that way.

Also a little bit more seasoning could help things out a little bit (salt, pepper, onion, garlic, known as SPOG).

A small amount of water to help keep it from drying up too much upon reheat.

All those things should help and worst case, you chop it all up with that fat and seasoning and mix it up with some BBQ sauce and that should fix it up pretty well for some bbq sandwiches :)

Reactions: mike243
I usually smoke for 5 hours low and finish with Aujue and onions in a Dutch oven so when I reheat it has all the juice with it. Incredible sandwiches. I have found the black pepper loses its bite after it sits overnight. When I use 16 mesh on ribs it has a kick when I heat them up the next day that heat from the pepper is gone.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky