Pork Butt to Beef chuck ratio for summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
I am going to make 25 pounds of Owens Garlic summer sausage and I have always used pork butt and venison but this years hunting wasn't productive so the local market has beef chuck roast on sale and I want to use it . The chuck has quite a bit of fat in it already so what is the popular opinion on what ratio I should use ?

PJ, IMHO I would go 3 # beef to 1# pork. I would use all the beef (fat trim etc) and the good pork cuts i.e. not the back fat or nasty inner fat. A little heavier on the pork would be alright but kept the fat out.

Reactions: poacherjoe
Owens Garlic summer sausage
I have that mix . It's good . I did 1 1/2 pounds pork butt to 1 pound ground lean beef . Wasn't chuck . So I'm not helping . Lol .
To clarify , it was sirloin I ground myself .
I trust CM in all things sausage BTW .

Reactions: poacherjoe
PJ, IMHO I would go 3 # beef to 1# pork. I would use all the beef (fat trim etc) and the good pork cuts i.e. not the back fat or nasty inner fat. A little heavier on the pork would be alright but kept the fat out.
I went ahead and used the 4,25 pounds of chuck and mixed it with 8.25 pounds of pork butt . 12 pounds . I added some fresh red jalapenos from my garden and a pound of smoked cheddar cheese. I don't use beef very often but I did make an entry in my log book for future reference. Thanks for the info

Reactions: chopsaw
I have that mix . It's good . I did 1 1/2 pounds pork butt to 1 pound ground lean beef . Wasn't chuck . So I'm not helping . Lol .
To clarify , it was sirloin I ground myself .
I trust CM in all things sausage BTW .
Thanks Chop , I got it done . Probably making a mountain out of a mole hill and it will probably turn out okay.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky