Smoked ham with the kid

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

trillo15

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
Northern BC, Canada
Thought I would share. We picked up a cured ham from the butcher today. Not smoked or cooked. The boy and I made a brine to soak in for 86 hours to try and get some moisture in. He injected it to try and build a flavour profile, and push that moisture inside. Smoked today for 6 hours at 270F with 50/50 hickory and cherry wood. Pulled at 160F and let rest for 1 hour. It tasted really good. Wish it was a bit more moist tho.

The Brine. Salt, Pepper, Sugar, Onion, Garlic, Mustard Seed, Rosemary, Red Pepper Flakes. (added water lol)

20180214_172058.jpg

The boy playing with the injector!
20180215_151027.jpg

After 6 hours on the smoker with cherry and hickory at 270F

20180218_150400.jpg

And Enjoy!

20180218_172524.jpg

What am I missing here?
You picked up the ham today, you soaked it for 86 hours, then you smoked it for 6 hours....
I think I'm in the Twilight Zone...
LOL!

I LOVE the picture of him injecting the Ham! These are the days that will be treasured after You and I are long gone in a great cloud of smoke, and he is telling the story of when he and his Dad smoked a fantastic ham!
That is one of those moments that last a lifetime.

The stock pot full of all the goodness, the finished Ham ready to tear into (Beautiful!) and the Ham torn asunder are fantastic....

But him injecting that ham... That is a lifetime experience in a single picture.
And it makes this old man smile and wipe his eyes. :);)

Reactions: mike5051
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky