• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whiteysnapple

Original poster
Apr 19, 2018
Fort Wayne, IN
So I used my smoker I received as a gift for the first time a couple weeks ago (Masterbuild - Propane) I don't really know what i'm doing outside of reading manuals and instructions. I soaked my woochips for about 6 hours before i started and they burned up in now time. Are you supposed to keep putting new woodchips in or do you only use it once? I have so many questions haha but figured this was a good place to start.

Welcome to SMF!
I moved this to "Roll Call", so you could introduce yourself.
As for the wood chips, forget about soaking them, just use them dry. I use a combo of wood chips & wood chunks in my gas smoker, just when I start it up, then every 45 minutes or so, when the smoke stops & add another chunk. So only chips & chunks in the beginning, then just chunks.
Here is what my setup looks like when I start the smoker.
IMG_5244.JPG

Good luck, hope this helps!
Al

Okay. Yes this is all very helpful. So why don't you need to worry about soaking them? I'm just curious now haha. So my set up tells me to a water tray in the rack above my woodchips...Where can you buy big ole chunks like that? All I've seen is smaller bags of woodchips? Like I said, I have so many questions haha

Welcome the site. You can buy the chunks at any home depot, lowes or even some grocery stores. With soaked chips your just introducing steam to your smoker before actual smoke. You won't get smoke until the water burns out of them.

Chris

Sorry i Didn't introduce myself here, I'm Michael from Fort Wayne Indiana!....
Thank you for the input! I'll have to pay better attention at the store next time! That's very interesting interesting actually, so I wonder why the instructions said to soak in water first. The butt i smoked the first time was good and had quite a bit of flavor but now i feel like i'll have ever more flavor next time without soaking the woodchips. Apparently i can read my manual all day long and still not get the real life knowledge until I keep doing it! I'm going to try ribs this weekend, any not-so-secret secrets anyone would like to share?

There are many opinions on doing ribs. Depending on what type of rib your talking about. It basically boils down to 3-2-1 spares(pork), 2-2-1 baby backs(pork) or unfoiled(either). If doing beef then I cook like a brisket which is closer to the 4 or 5 -2-1 or longer. If you foil then add some type of juice to the packet(apple, onion soup, broth what ever you like) and any other rub or dry ingredients you like. Do a search on ribs and you'll being reading good info for days on end. For FOTB cook to 205*ish for bite thru about 190 to 195.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out

Edit: SmokinAl has a real good link in his signature on doing perfect ribs.

Chris

Last edited:
Welcome, I didnt learn about the not soaking woodchips/chunks until I came to this forum and I have been smoking for a few years now. Lots to learn and will only getter better in time. I agree with Chris on the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1. Check out some of Jeffs recipes as well on Smoking-Meat.com he has some pretty good recipes for just about everything.

2-2-1 = 2hrs naked on the grate, 2hrs in foil, 1hrs naked on the grate.

Chris

Oh big big tip: take pictures. if you have trouble take pics we can help you with your smokes and smoker. pictures help. if you do well (which you will more and more in time) then we can see and drool and congratulate you on your smokes! welcome to SMF and to your new addiction...err hobby!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Reactions: whiteysnapple
About 225*, wood choice is an individual taste. I like hickory, but have never tried pecan.

Chris

texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good morning and welcome to the forum from a beautiful day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky