Pork Loin, apricot brined & apricot glazed, OMG!! ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
OMG, I am going to buy an apricot tree! From the prior post I bought a full boneless loin. divided it into 3rds, So far I have made jambalaya and country fried pork with the one 1/3. I have a 1/3 rd in an apricot brine cure. 

And this 1/3 which is an apricot brined pecan smoked loin. I mean can that be bad, right?

Out of the brine and patted dry.

Break out the fan and look for a pellicle. meat is pretty soft so I truss it. While airing it out.

Then I rubber it all over with andouille spice and oil. It smells totally awesome!

Preheat to 275 with vent shut. throw in the roast.

30 mins later, open the vents, probe the meat, and insert the pecan shells into the smoker. reduce the smoker CC to 180 degrees

I pulled at 145 IT assuming it would travel, forgot I smoked low and slow so I had time to get a little smoke on it. tented in foil and allowed to rest 45 mins.

I tried to glaze differently and it tasted ok but I didn't like the out come. Instead of glazing in the  smoker as usual, I tried using the torch, Thinking I could turn jelly into crystalized sugar sort of like a brulee. LOL... did not work. I applied the heat gently to not burn the sugar but the fat cap kept blowing out below the apricot jelly so no crystalization so that is a lesson tried and learned. But the apricot jelly that wasn't glazed well, was still outstanding with it just coating the outside. AND LOOK at those juices!!!!! BTW I sneaked a bit of cinnamim in the brine with the apricot and in the andouille rub as well.

And can you not guess the sides, of course you can Louisiana sweet potatoes! And I tried something new with them too. usually I do them baked with a little butter, cinnamin, and maple syrup. Oh yeah thats good stuff! BUT This time I cut back on the surple and added a 1/2 teaspoon on the jelly on the potatoes!!! Who knew? 

Louisiana is famous for it sweet taters, and now learning about how well jelly works on them.  I could make a fortune just selling the taters! (Gonna use the left overs for a sweet tater pie and just wondering about that the cane syrup in that pie.... I just had a thought...........

Now the "Bear view" looks kinda plain, but you know by the aroma that its special and when it hits your taste buds its one happy mouth!

Oh yea, we had cantaloupe with it too....LOL

Tender, juicy, the aroma, and of course the taste....... This is a special meal. I used the company plates even!

I am still just smelling my hands....and licking my moustache in case I missed something.....ROFLMAO!

If you can find apricots BUY BUY BUY, if not peach is a suitable alternative.

I'll be back soon with that Apricot Canadian (or back) Bacon..... I may not be able to wait!!

Last edited:
bet it was a resl good dinner ... looks amazing ,, 
points.gif

Man that looks awesome!

I like to cut my pork chips from pork loin like that.  I cut them super thick and then butterfly them.  Then SPOG and to the grill for grilled pork chops.  I cook them to just hit 145F and WOW I'm telling you they will rival a steak... no lie!

I can just imagine how yours tasted.  Hmmmmmmm going to look for some whole pork loin like that soon :)

Looks good. You may like this glaze...JJ

Zesty Apricot Glaze n' Sauce

1T Veg Oil

1/3C Ketchup

1/4C Fine Diced Onion

1/4C Red Wine Vinegar

1/4C Honey

1T Soy Sauce

1tsp Grated Fresh Ginger

1tsp Worcestershire Sauce

1tsp Molasses

1tsp Smoked Paprika or regular

1/2tsp Dry Mustard mix in 1tsp Water, set aside.

1/2tsp Celery Salt

1/2tsp Black or White Pepper

1/4tsp Cayenne or Chipotle

1ea Clove Garlic, minced

12oz Apricot or Peach Preserves*

Place a small pan over low heat and add the 1T Oil.

Add the Onions, Ginger and Garlic. Sweat just until tender and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Combine all but the Preserves in a Food Processor.

Puree until just combined. 

Add the Preserves to the Processor and Pulse to combine.

Place all back in the pan you used to sweat the veg and gently simmer to reduce to desired thickness.

Adjust Sweetness and Seasoning, adding Sugar/Vinegar, Salt and Pepper or Cayenne to your Taste.

Makes about 2 1/2 Cups. Store in Refrigerator..

Note*...Just about any Fruit Preserves would work. Pineapple, Peach/Mango, Orange Marmalade, or mix 'em up....JJ

Last edited:

Man that looks awesome!

I like to cut my pork chips from pork loin like that.  I cut them super thick and then butterfly them.  Then SPOG and to the grill for grilled pork chops.  I cook them to just hit 145F and WOW I'm telling you they will rival a steak... no lie!

I can just imagine how yours tasted.  Hmmmmmmm going to look for some whole pork loin like that soon :)
Thank you. I'll bet they are awesome too!

Looks good. You may like this glaze...JJ

Zesty Apricot Glaze n' Sauce

1T Veg Oil

1/3C Ketchup

1/4C Fine Diced Onion

1/4C Red Wine Vinegar

1/4C Honey

1T Soy Sauce

1tsp Grated Fresh Ginger

1tsp Worcestershire Sauce

1tsp Molasses

1tsp Smoked Paprika or regular

1/2tsp Dry Mustard mix in 1tsp Water, set aside.

1/2tsp Celery Salt

1/2tsp Black or White Pepper

1/4tsp Cayenne or Chipotle

1ea Clove Garlic, minced

12oz Apricot or Peach Preserves*

Place a small pan over low heat and add the 1T Oil.

Add the Onions, Ginger and Garlic. Sweat just until tender and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Combine all but the Preserves in a Food Processor.

Puree until just combined. 

Add the Preserves to the Processor and Pulse to combine.

Place all back in the pan you used to sweat the veg and gently simmer to reduce to desired thickness.

Adjust Sweetness and Seasoning, adding Sugar/Vinegar, Salt and Pepper or Cayenne to your Taste.

Makes about 2 1/2 Cups. Store in Refrigerator..

Note*...Just about any Fruit Preserves would work. Pineapple, Peach/Mango, Orange Marmalade, or mix 'em up....JJ
Thanks Chef, I am still surprized though that the sugar wouldn't re crystalize. I mean jelly is just sugar, pectin and juice. Hmmmmmm ..... but will certainly save that recipe and try it.

Sorry late on a reply but that for sure is one dinner I would not want to be late on although I'm not much on apricot I could do the peach thing though.

Looks like your smoker is a MasterBuilt 40" is that right that's what I have.

Well for sure this is point worthy. 
points1.png
Whats the pie recipe love sweet taters anyway you can fix them. We have a great pie recipe.

Warren

My 40 is constantly sick........ Ya know, I think you just named it, gonna call the MES 40, Tiny Tim.

My 30 is a champ, I have fire breathers also.

4 large sweet taters, baked, stringed, and whipped

1 stick butter

3/4C white sugar

3/4C light brown sugar

1 small call evaporated milk

1 cap of butter extract

1 cap of Maple extract

3 large eggs beaten

1 dash cinnamin

1 dash nutmeg

1 9" pie shell

preheat to 400

Mix butter, potatoes, sugars and evaporated milk until well blended. Add vanilla, eggs, and cinnamon mix well. Pour into the prepared pie shell. Bake @ 400 for 20 mins and reduce to 350° for about 60 mins, until set, until set, until set....... throw the clock out the window use your eyes watch for the center to set. 

Note: If you don't like Cinnamon use nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, all spice or ground cloves. I commonly mix 'em up a little, I only use a small pinch of each so you taste sweet tater! Personally I think less is best on spices. 

Adjust potato quantity to reflect potato size. For Louisiana Sweet Potatoes I normally only use 2 or 3 sometimes 4 or 5.... LOL When we have sweet taters with supper I generally throw some extra in to cook. House gonna get hot anyway, and if can save the taters ia ziplock in the reefer.

Roast after rubbing in oil at 425 till the juices bubble out the skin. An hour or two

BTW a good homemade crust always makes the pie!

And you'll be rewarded with......... <drum roll >

Try it you'll like it. I have another I make with fresh cane syrup in it but this is pretty good stuff.

Late reply again.

Pie recipe very similar to ours and like said they are awesome. My grandmother would add some shredded coconut to hers which I did not like so she always made one without the coconut for me. You know in growing up we used what we had here is one for you.

White Potato Pie

Do not use instant potatoes.

4 or 5 medium potatoes

2 cups sugar

1 stick butter

1 12oz can evaporated milk

1 5oz can evaporated milk

1 teaspoon of lemon extract or vanilla which ever you like

4 large eggs seperated

a sprinkle of nutmeg on top of pie 

preheat oven 375

Separate eggs in small bowl beat egg whites sit aside

Mash potatoes put in large bowl add soften butter, egg yolks, sugar, milk and lemon extract or vanilla 

Fold in egg whites

Bake 20 minutes then lower temp to 350

2 9" pie shells

After 40 minutes test for done by inserting a dinner knife if comes out clean it is done. Pie will be really brown on top.

try it and enjoy

Warren

Last edited:

Late reply again.

Pie recipe very similar to ours and like said they are awesome. My grandmother would add some shredded coconut to hers which I did not like so she always made one without the coconut for me. You know in growing up we used what we had here is one for you.

White Potato Pie

try it and enjoy

Warren
 Looks good, did she make a faux apple pie using soda crackers also? I swear its hard to tell the difference when they are make right,

Oh yeah!! That looks good Kevin.

I've just gotta find some apricot jelly somewhere. I don't have time to make my own this year.

POINT

Gary
Gary I have 1/2 a reefer shelf that is just stuff I never use and want to try. Got that from my Mom. See something different you think you'd like to try, although you don't know how, get it and put it on the shelf. LOL... One of the best cakes I ever had I didn't have any think to make the frosting, so I used some red rassberry jelly.  I was OK with just having hot cake, but little niece wasn't going for it. So I slapped some of that rassberry jelly in between and on top of and It was outstanding!! 

And jelly works for a glaze, I am just lucky enough to have homemade.

I have some apple butter I keep saying I am going to slice open a loin, slather some on and roll it back up and cook it. But I always forget when I have the loin.... LOL Its the most fun part of cooking!

Thanks to Warren for Bumping this up, because that Looks Awesome, Foamy!!!
drool.gif

That Glazed Loin has to be "To Die For" !!!
drool.gif
---
points.gif

Nice Job!!
icon14.gif

Bear

Thanks to Warren for Bumping this up, because that Looks Awesome, Foamy!!!
drool.gif

That Glazed Loin has to be "To Die For" !!!
drool.gif
---
points.gif

Nice Job!!
icon14.gif

Bear
Thank you Bear.

It was good Bear but....... I didn't do it as I have learned is best. What I really love is a hot, peppery loin external then add that sweet glaze. I didn't use the hot rub before smoking <shrug>  You know how it is, unless ya do things pretty often I forget stuff these days and it seems like I forget more and more each time. LOL

It was still pretty tastee though!

Man there you go again yes sir hot and sweet. Here we have a hot pepper jelly Mrs. mixes it with cream cheese to make a dip.

Never had the apple pie you referred to.

Like me need to start writing things down. Lost a lot of my grandmothers recipes for that reason just can't seem to duplicate them but oh boy the memories.

The way it was we eat what we had not always with icing. Love hot cake no icing and sometimes I would put a slice in a bowl with milk. Jelly cake was one of my favorites slice the layer in half jelly coat it in the middle and powder sugar on top.

Warren

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky