Cherry syrup on baby backs ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That looks fantastic. You may try in the future to cook up a cherry jam as a base then glaze them. With what I’ve done with other fruits you really get that fruit flavor. I bet the cherry would be delicious. We have lots of cherry orchards around us so I’ll do it this year for sure.

That looks fantastic. You may try in the future to cook up a cherry jam as a base then glaze them. With what I’ve done with other fruits you really get that fruit flavor. I bet the cherry would be delicious. We have lots of cherry orchards around us so I’ll do it this year for sure.
Seeing western CO, as your location, I know what you're talking about. You are in the heartland of Colorados good stuff. I love visiting your area. Scored some good peach wood out there once upon a time.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Seeing western CO, as your location, I know what you're talking about. You are in the heartland of Colorados good stuff. I love visiting your area. Scored some good peach wood out there once upon a time.
Yup, we are surrounded by fruit orchards. Funny thing is my all time smoke wood go to is always pecan and cherry mix. There isn’t a decent pecan tree within 500 miles of me.

Reactions: JLinza
Yup, we are surrounded by fruit orchards. Funny thing is my all time smoke wood go to is always pecan and cherry mix. There isn’t a decent pecan tree within 500 miles of me.
Yep, love to visit when we can get over the divide, for sure.

Pecan is my go to and there's plenty here, but no cherry trees to be found.

Everything looks great and I use the Kosmos alot. Great color and flavor.
Nice experiment with excellent results!

Keith

Kosmos caters to the comp cookers. I'm just a backyard guy but I've never had anything from him that wasn't good. His store is a few miles away from me, always a treat just to go there.

That rub I used, the Cherrywood Chipotle had a great aroma when I opened the package, I knew it was gonna be good. Its part of his " Q lab " which I joined the other day when I bought the rub.

Reactions: 912smoker
Reactions: zwiller
Tori syrups are very sweet (high sugar) as such if you like the flavor I would try applying the syrup later in the cook and none at the beginning. I’ve had ribs get to dark just from ACV spritzing start to finish on the cook.

As to the dark areas on the ribs, is that from hot spots in the cooker?

As to the dark areas on the ribs, is that from hot spots in the cooker?

That's what I'm beginning to wonder. This was the first time I've used that exact configuration of drip pan, cooking grates, and using the top grate.

When I first got the smoker, I ran a biscuit test. But I've not run a test with a drip pan on the bottom shelf. Its only there to save myself some clean up. And I took the middle shelf out, which I don't think really made much difference.

I'm gonna run a biscuit test with the drip pan in the smoker and see if that changes anything.

I also think the dark areas could be fat that's gone beyond the rendering stage. I don't trim fat off these baby backs.

That's what I'm beginning to wonder. This was the first time I've used that exact configuration of drip pan, cooking grates, and using the top grate.

When I first got the smoker, I ran a biscuit test. But I've not run a test with a drip pan on the bottom shelf. Its only there to save myself some clean up. And I took the middle shelf out, which I don't think really made much difference.

I'm gonna run a biscuit test with the drip pan in the smoker and see if that changes anything.

I also think the dark areas could be fat that's gone beyond the rendering stage. I don't trim fat off these baby backs.
Only one way to tell for sure, is to make up a batch of sausage gravy then run the biscuit test on your cooker. In the end you will find out how even it runs, and you will eat well afterward.
The ribs look damn good to me, unless you're shooting for perfect comp ribs, they look kill'er to me.

I'm smoking a couple racks of baby backs tomorrow. From watching Steven Raichlen's Planet Barbecue series last summer, he visited a joint in San Antonio that sprayed cherry syrup on their baby backs.

Cherry on baby backs is right down my alley. I think cherry and baby backs are like peanut butter and jelly. I'm thinking considering using this method on one rack tomorrow.

But ............ I've always been cautious about putting sugar on meats, that the sugar would burn. I thought saucing should be done at the end of the cook. And I'm having second thoughts about trying this.

Any thoughts ? I've got a bottle of Torani cherry syrup

Here's the recipe from Raichlen's site, its pretty simple, just rub the ribs and then spray cherry syrup a minimum of three times .

Here is the episode on PBS , the baby back segment starts at 9:11 mark

Cherry baby backs
I have a lot of those syrups too (use them in my tea and water) and will give it a shot today. Thanks, from another okie.

Raichlen must really like this cherry baby back recipe. I've found where he did the same recipe in his Project Smoke series, season 3, episode 309 that aired in July 2017.

Except this one, he brushed the cherry syrup on the ribs after they'd been on the smoker for 2 hours at 280* , then put them back in the smoker for another hour. Then at the end, brushed them with the cherry syrup again.

And since I've got a whole bottle of Torani cherry syrup, I'm gonna give this recipe a go.

It starts at the 8:36 mark.

Episode 309: BBQ's Trinity

Last edited:
Reactions: 912smoker
Huh... not sure how I missed this thread. I love cherry anything. I can see myself working something like this into the rib rotation. I seem to remember someone here doing something with ribs and maraschino cherry juice also...

I'd love to source some cherry smoke wood that's NOT kiln dried. Not a lot of cherry orchards around here.

I just threw out half a bag of B&B that I bought for T-Giving 2022. I put my moisture meter to it and there was not enough moisture to even make the meter register.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky