Pork Belly - Now What?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
No cure salt and it isn't bacon is a bald faced lie. It is that or ignorant of how meat cures. Wanna talk science? Now I remember why I left this place for years.

Did they have pink salt in 1500 BC (or BCE) for the anti-Christians? Bacon has been traced to then. The knowledge here is amazing. If you don't know, don't reply. Or, pay money for ad free useless crap.

Did they have pink salt in 1500 BC (or BCE) for the anti-Christians? Bacon has been traced to then. The knowledge here is amazing. If you don't know, don't reply. Or, pay money for ad free useless crap.
Well, not in the exact formulations we have today, but many salt deposits are/were rich in nitrate (what we call saltpeter), so "curing" salt is actually a naturally occurring substance in a rough form.

I expect the ancients figured out which salt deposits kept their meat the longest and it went from there to where we now are with more refined processes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky