Pork Belly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KM0AGA

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 25, 2022
Iowa
I did another pork belly with the chuck roast. This belly was frozen for about a week. It was good but I was having some resistance after reaching 205 degrees. The lower right side was not probing like butter but the rest of the belly was. I did not want to overcook it so I pulled a wrapped with some bacon grease, butcher paper, vac sealed, and placed in the fridge.

I reheated today with the sous vide at 150 for 1 hours. The butcher paper was soaked and belly had like a glaze on the bark. It was awesome. There were parts that were perfection and others not so much. Some sections were very firm. It was tasty and everyone liked it.

I normally cook bellies until they are 180-190 and they have all come out like butter. I also never encountered the resistance. This was the first time freezing before cooking. I don't know if that had anything to do with the cook or not.
20230904_151149.jpg
20230904_151245.jpg

Mine have always been frozen. Either by me or the source. I'm guessing it was something about that particular piece of belly.

Looks delish, love some pork belly smoked up!

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Unless it was a fresh farm source of belly, all USDA pork must be frozen before sale for 30 days I believe. This is how they kill trichinosis.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky