1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Overnight brisket

Discussion in 'Beef' started by loosechangedru, Mar 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Here goes a 12.5 lb choice packer into the WSM. I used a rub with cocoa powder, salt/pepper, garlic, onion, chili powder, coriander, and a little brown sugar. I'm hoping this one turns out better than previous briskets - finger's crossed!

Went in at about midnight with pecan and hickory @ 235*.

20190322_235545.jpg Screenshot_20190323-000818_BBQ Go.jpg

See ya in the mornin'.

Sal Barsanti likes this.
  2. forktender

forktender Smoking Fanatic

Sounds amazing!!!
    Watching this one for sure, good luck.

3. I slept well knowing my FB100 would keep things steady, and my Inkbird 4-probe w/wifi had my temps available at my bedside, should I want to know them. I stepped out into the (Florida) cold, coffee in hand, to see if my brisket had slept as soundly...

It looked good to me!

Screenshot_20190323-083600_BBQ Go.jpg 20190323_082514.jpg 20190323_082526.jpg 20190323_082929.jpg
    I set the top 2/3 of the WSM aside, put the few coals remaining in the chimney, dumped in new charcoal, topped it off with the chimney and wood...Now just to ride out this stall. My neighbor smelled things getting ready last night and shouted over, "Can you smoke steaks? 'Cause I bought a BAG of 'em."

Looks like steaks for lunch and brisket for dinner. Qview to come.

Sal Barsanti likes this.
  4. Looks like she slept perfectly in a sauna of smoke. Can't wait to see those slices!

Dang, now I want brisket...

5. Alright here it comes, qview heavy...

First, the steaks. My neighbor tests food around town as part of his job, and he got to keep a bunch of filet mignon from Outback Steakhouse, so I smoked a few with hickory and pecan, then I grilled them over lump wood in my Weber kettle. Awesome.
    20190323_193805.jpg 20190323_201225.jpg 20190323_201537.jpg 20190323_202152.jpg

And the brisket, whoa man, I finally made a good brisket! The two pieces slid apart with barely any resistance. I scraped some fat away, and cut against the grain. So good.
    20190323_203605.jpg 20190323_203951.jpg 20190323_204840.jpg
    This is the test, right?
    20190323_210137.jpg 20190323_210440.jpg

Definitely a success! Half of each went into a foodsaver bag and into the freezer, with plenty of leftovers. Thanks for looking!

6. Pound it :emoji_right_facing_fist:

indaswamp likes this.
  7. :emoji_left_facing_fist::emoji_sunglasses:

Preacher Man and indaswamp like this.
  8. forktender

forktender Smoking Fanatic

Awesome, happy to see that it was a success.

9. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great job on both those hunks of meat.

Point for sure
    Chris

10. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Both the brisket & the steaks look fantastic!
    Nicely done!
    Al

11. Thanks for the kind words, everyone! Successful brisket-making has been a long time comin' :) now I just need to try making the beef ribs in my freezer...

12. You and me both.

13. Wow that looks awesome.

14. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nailed it! (now where is that fist bump smile at???)
    Congrats...
    Perfect Brisket was an enigma for me for a long time. Now, I don't even try to buy the best cut of meat for it....even select will turn out great if you know how to cook it....

15. jaxgatorz

jaxgatorz Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Beautiful job on both !!

16. carolinadoug

carolinadoug Fire Starter

great write up and read. The bark on that brisket is awesome. Just picked up 12 lb packer and an 8 lb beef tenderloin for Thursday family arrival and Sunday Celebration. Might have to try and add some brown sugar to my rub. Great addition!!

17. Jabiru

Jabiru Meat Mopper

Great result. I have never heard of using Cocoa in a rub, what does it give to it?

The dogs in the photos one licking his lips the other waiting for an error.

Did the Dogs get a taste?

18. Thanks for lookin', and thanks for the kind comments!

Nice, Doug - hope it goes well. I'd like to see that qview.

Personally, I like my meat with some heat, but my better half has severe acid reflux, so we have to get creative with spices. Cocoa or coffee grounds seem to replace the earthier spices like cumin, but without the mild but detrimental heat. We've done chili with both substitutes with great results. I've even used baking chocolate.

My pups only get errors. Luckily, we make plenty of them lol

19. hardcookin

hardcookin Master of the Pit OTBS Member

It all looks fantasic...good job!!

20. Just put one on for overnight work. Cigar in hand and watching the WSM settle in.

Attached Files:

loosechangedru likes this.