Texas Brisket for NDSU FCS Champion Game

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

luvcatchingbass

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 31, 2017
SE North Dakota
Ever since 2011 I have always done a brisket for the the FCS Championship game when NDSU has made it so out of 9 years I have made one 8 times and on Saturday that has meant 8 Titles, can't knock tradition. I have made a few different changes from time to time such as a marinade using Guiness Extra Stout to just straight up Texas Style Salt and Pepper. This one was pretty similar with a little extra kick to it. Stated with a 12.5# Select Brisket and did some minor trimming off the top and into the deckle a little bit, forgot to get pictures of the trimming but I usually save the fat for grinding into my deer burger. This time I decided to actually inject it with a mix of Butcher BBQ Prime Brisket, and Open Pit Pork Injection (has a good black pepper background) and then 1 cup water and 1 cup of my beef stock that has come from previous cooks and flavored with other veggies from braising. Thursday night I trimmed, injected and seasoned the brisket and covered to let sit in the fridge till Friday night. The seasoning was my typical dusting of Kosher Salt, heavy on the fresh cracked pepper (mix bag of black, white, red, green peppercorns), a light dusting of cumin, onion powder, garlic powder and this time a little Frag Out Flavor Fitty (Mango Habanero).
Friday night in good old North Dakota when i fired up the barrel it was zero degrees and expected overnight low to be -19F. I ran all hardwood for smoke using my burn barrel to produce the hot coals as the wood chunks burn down so that I know I have good clean coals. The wood was a mix of North Dakota White Oak that I cut and split myself and the some B&B Competition logs in Cherry, Pecan and Mesquite. I have never used Mesquite before so I was a little interested and a little nervous at the same time. Got the wood going in the barrel at around 6pm Friday Night and got the first coals and brisket on at about 7pm with a big bright moon coming up then covered up the smoker with a welding blanket as well as another old heavy blanket i had laying around. Goal was to run smoker at about 225-235 for as long as I could which it did stay pretty decent for the most part with a few adjustments. Pulled the brisket at about 1am and into the North Dakota Crutch, a pan with a little bit of Summit Coffee Milk Stout for liquid and into the oven at 215F for the night the smell at 9am when I pulled it was great and let it rest for about 1.5hr covered in the pan. Slicing it was just about perfect for tenderness and pull and the flavor was outstanding with the bite of the mesquite and the mellow of the cherry, pepper really let you know it was there and the mango habanero stayed there to help warm a person up with the frigid temps outside. Also made as a supporting cast some green chili cream corn that consisted of a couple steamer bags of corn, 8oz block of cream cheese, about 1/2cup of heavy cream and then 1 green bell, 1 red bell, 2 Anaheim, 2 pablano and 3 jalapeno that I charred in the fire box then skinned and seeded them the night before. All the food was fantastic and it was a great game to watch with all the friends that came over and of course the fact that NDSU won its 8th FCS Championship in 9yrs against a very very good opponent didn't hurt either, it was a true 1 vs 2 game and did not disappoint. Now for the pictures, forgot to get a plated pic during the heat of the game. Also a big thank you to all the friends that brought outstanding food as well.

20200110_182613.jpg

20200110_185709.jpg

20200110_185716.jpg

20200110_185730.jpg
20200111_002713.jpg

20200111_100726.jpg

20200111_103146.jpg
20200111_103725.jpg

20200111_104418.jpg

20200111_104653.jpg

20200110_201240.jpg

20200110_203116.jpg

20200110_203849.jpg

20200111_101223.jpg

20200110_201432.jpg

Wow that looks really good!!! I love the addition of a little cumin to a basic rub. It usually complements whichever BBQ sauce I end up using and also makes for great tacos with the leftovers.

Reactions: luvcatchingbass
Looks delicious!! Nice work

I tend to “tinker” with things going on the smoker as well, the little lady has threatened me with taking away my spices if I change certain things now that they are “perfect” in her eyes..... my thoughts are ya never know if something could be more “perfect” unless you try it.

My wife doesn't dare to take my spices away, partly because I am lucky that not many tinker experiments have gone inedible and she likes the minor changes once in a while and she also knows that I will find a way to make almost anything taste good. I still am intrigued to do something like ribs with nothing but smoke.

Fantastic looking meal. I like the addition of peppers to the creamed corn.

Point for sure
Chris

Food looks delicious! I am a big keystone light guy so glad to see another smoking friend is as well over in you area (I'm on the coast in NC)! My sister in law is from Fargo so I follow some of those games. Great looking brisket, beer and great win

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky