beef ribs, if they were only as good as they looked.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
I've never had to be a WLB (whiny lil' B#$ch) about any cook on my WSM, so here goes.
The specimen was a slab of what was labeled beef back ribs. They weren't plate ribs, but not shiners either. $4.99/lb.
Whipped up a rub with light brown sugar, garlic and onion powder, a skosh of chili powder, smoked paparika. I was light on the sugar as to not burn 8 hours with rub.. started via minion. Grill was a little cranky taking almost1.5 hours to get to 225. Used water pan 2/3 full. patiently waited to grate therm to reach 225. placed ribs bone down. 2 chunks of oak and one of hickory. Per instructions didn't open smoker for 3 hours. After 3 hours they were well colored slightly barky. Since I'm not a big fan of BBQ sauce on beef ribs, i mopped with a pepperoncini juice with a little apple.
wrapped in peach paper and returned to smoker for 2 hours. after the 2 hour opened up paper and did a bend test. The bent sightly but no tear in meat. mopped again and left or another hour. temps were holding around 245.
left for an hour and they looked great. did bend test. they bent but still didnt crack. Removed to cutting board and let rest covered. Sliced ribs. Long story short, I could barley pull the meat off the bone with my old teefs.. I always shoot for some pull but this was ridiculous. BTW I did completely remove the membrane.
I closing I guess they weren't done enough. I've never probed ribs, as the bend test always seemed sufficient.
Any suggestions welcome. Rewarmed one this morning. The taste was good, and meat cut off the bones.
C'est la vie.

ribs pre.jpg

finish pic.jpg

Last edited:
I do a ton of these and 265 for three hours then rest covered in foil @ 145 for 30-45 mins produces the best result for me. The INT is always above 198….closer to 203 ish.

I’ve tried the 225 cook a couple of times and I’m not a fan either……

Beef back bones have a lot of connective tissue and they benefit with the higher temp….and yes I’m impressed you got the skin off as well….

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky