Overnight brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

loosechangedru

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Gainesville, FL
Here goes a 12.5 lb choice packer into the WSM. I used a rub with cocoa powder, salt/pepper, garlic, onion, chili powder, coriander, and a little brown sugar. I'm hoping this one turns out better than previous briskets - finger's crossed!

Went in at about midnight with pecan and hickory @ 235*.

20190322_235545.jpg
Screenshot_20190323-000818_BBQ Go.jpg

See ya in the mornin'.

Reactions: Sal Barsanti
I slept well knowing my FB100 would keep things steady, and my Inkbird 4-probe w/wifi had my temps available at my bedside, should I want to know them. I stepped out into the (Florida) cold, coffee in hand, to see if my brisket had slept as soundly...

It looked good to me!

Screenshot_20190323-083600_BBQ Go.jpg
20190323_082514.jpg
20190323_082526.jpg
20190323_082929.jpg

I set the top 2/3 of the WSM aside, put the few coals remaining in the chimney, dumped in new charcoal, topped it off with the chimney and wood...Now just to ride out this stall. My neighbor smelled things getting ready last night and shouted over, "Can you smoke steaks? 'Cause I bought a BAG of 'em."

Looks like steaks for lunch and brisket for dinner. Qview to come.

Reactions: Sal Barsanti
Alright here it comes, qview heavy...

First, the steaks. My neighbor tests food around town as part of his job, and he got to keep a bunch of filet mignon from Outback Steakhouse, so I smoked a few with hickory and pecan, then I grilled them over lump wood in my Weber kettle. Awesome.
20190323_193805.jpg
20190323_201225.jpg
20190323_201537.jpg
20190323_202152.jpg

And the brisket, whoa man, I finally made a good brisket! The two pieces slid apart with barely any resistance. I scraped some fat away, and cut against the grain. So good.
20190323_203605.jpg
20190323_203951.jpg
20190323_204840.jpg

This is the test, right?
20190323_210137.jpg
20190323_210440.jpg

Definitely a success! Half of each went into a foodsaver bag and into the freezer, with plenty of leftovers. Thanks for looking!

Great job on both those hunks of meat.

Point for sure
Chris

Nailed it! (now where is that fist bump smile at???)
Congrats...
Perfect Brisket was an enigma for me for a long time. Now, I don't even try to buy the best cut of meat for it....even select will turn out great if you know how to cook it....

great write up and read. The bark on that brisket is awesome. Just picked up 12 lb packer and an 8 lb beef tenderloin for Thursday family arrival and Sunday Celebration. Might have to try and add some brown sugar to my rub. Great addition!!

Great result. I have never heard of using Cocoa in a rub, what does it give to it?

The dogs in the photos one licking his lips the other waiting for an error.

Did the Dogs get a taste?

Wow that looks awesome.

Nailed it! (now where is that fist bump smile at???)
Congrats...
Perfect Brisket was an enigma for me for a long time. Now, I don't even try to buy the best cut of meat for it....even select will turn out great if you know how to cook it....

Beautiful job on both !!

Thanks for lookin', and thanks for the kind comments!

great write up and read. The bark on that brisket is awesome. Just picked up 12 lb packer and an 8 lb beef tenderloin for Thursday family arrival and Sunday Celebration. Might have to try and add some brown sugar to my rub. Great addition!!

Nice, Doug - hope it goes well. I'd like to see that qview.

Great result. I have never heard of using Cocoa in a rub, what does it give to it?

The dogs in the photos one licking his lips the other waiting for an error.

Did the Dogs get a taste?

Personally, I like my meat with some heat, but my better half has severe acid reflux, so we have to get creative with spices. Cocoa or coffee grounds seem to replace the earthier spices like cumin, but without the mild but detrimental heat. We've done chili with both substitutes with great results. I've even used baking chocolate.

My pups only get errors. Luckily, we make plenty of them lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky