Overcoming My Nemesis: Pizza (2 cooks w/ pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great Robert! Glad you overcame your demons, lol. That pan is interesting. My Wife makes the pizzas around here, Italian you know. She's never made homemade dough though. Would those CI pans work in the oven as well? Thanks for sharing. Excellent work.

Looks like you put that nemesis to bed. Looks darn good.

Thank you Jim. After so many failed attempts it felt good to finally nail one.

Very fine looking pizzas Robert! Ive had a few things that I had to keep revisiting because I just could never get them right. But you eventually one day get it. Its like someone just fliped a switch and it all changes. Way to overcome!

Very much appreciate it Travis. For me I think it was finally getting the equipment. I know a lot of folks are able to turn out a really good pizza on just a stone but it wasn't working for me. After all I've read here I should be able to make a great pizza in my sleep but it just didn't click till now.

What a beautiful thing to see Robert, huge Like! Now that you are making your own dough you are truly making your own pizza, it's all your creation from the ground up. There's a ton of pizza dough recipes to be had out there Robert, it's kind of fun to change things up occasionally. No going back now!

Thanks so much Ray (bowing humbly). You're correct in there being no turning back now and I have you to thank for that in big part. If not for you and AZ I'd still be supporting Pillsbury...but never again!! You guys rock buddy.

Robert

Robert that is outstanding looking! I grabbed my monitor no less than 3 times trying to grab a slice or even a smell! Pizza is one of our top food groups and just from the pics I can safely say, Great job!

Appreciate it vwery much my friend. Nowhere close to the stuff you turn out but after finally hitting the mark, I was thrilled with it.

Nice job my man! Looks like we figured pizzas out about the same time!

Yay for us!! And how many total failed attempts did we make? You however have been turning out fantastic looking pizza for a long time.

That's a awesome looking pizza, Robert! Absolutely liked it.

Thank you!! Appreciate the like and was happy when I opened the grill and saw those. They just looked like they were gonna be good.

Robert

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Great looking pizzas Robert! Homemade dough really does make it...need to make more, been too long. Now I'm starving and have a craving

Thank you Ryan. Appreciate the kind words sir. Heck, I waited 57 years before making my own dough. A couple more weeks for you is nothing :emoji_wink:

Those look awesome!

Appreciate it Norman. They tasted pretty darned good too.

Those pie's look top notch! What was the dough recipe you ended up using?

The accolades are noted and appreciated Brian. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning

Directions
1. Mix in a bowl or stand mixer
2. Preheat oven to 475°F.
3. Place dough on floured counter and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
4. Shape into 15 to 16-inch round pizza pan. Add favorite pizza ingredients.
5. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until crust is browned and cheese is melted.

A couple of caveats to this. It was noted to me that for best results to place the dough ball into a bowl that was lightly oiled with EVOO, cover with cling wrap, and let rest for a couple hours in a warm place. It was also noted that if using instant yeast you can add it straight to the dough but if using dry active yeast you need to dissolve it in water prior to adding to the dough.

Robert

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Darn good looking pies Robert! I believe you've earned some respect from someone!

Thanks Steve. After the turkey and gravy pizza I was afraid I'd lost his respect forever so had to redeem myself.

Fantastic looking pizza !!!

Thank you Mike.

Ahhhh, pizza. Once mastered, you feel touched by the bbq god's 1st cousin. Well done!

Well stated!! I like the analogy and appreciate the kind words.

Robert

looks like ya nailed it Robert, looks delicious!

Thanks Jim!! Took me long enough that's for sure.

Mama Mia!! That’s some fine looking pizza pies.

Appreciate it Jeff. They were good but nothing compared to the stuff you've been turning out.

Care to share that dough recipe?
Yeah Robert, share the dough recipe.

Thanks so much for the wonderful accolades John, which were not quoted but are very much appreciated. I posted this a couple replies earlier but wanted to make sure you got tagged for it.

Ingredients
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning

Directions
1. Mix in a bowl or stand mixer
2. Preheat oven to 475°F.
3. Place dough on floured counter and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
4. Shape into 15 to 16-inch round pizza pan. Add favorite pizza ingredients.
5. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until crust is browned and cheese is melted.

A couple of caveats to this. It was noted to me that for best results to place the dough ball into a bowl that was lightly oiled with EVOO, cover with cling wrap, and let rest for a couple hours in a warm place. It was also noted that if using instant yeast you can add it straight to the dough but if using dry active yeast you need to dissolve it in water prior to adding to the dough.

Robert

Very nice Robert. I've never made homemade dough for pizza. I should change that soon after I buy a couple of those pans lol

Thanks Jake. I had never made it before either but it's a game changer and so easy to do.

Looks like you nailed those those pizzas Robert! It’s smooth sailing from here on out.

Sure Joe...smooth sailing on a never ending sea of options. Pizzas are like breakfast tacos: you can put pretty much anything on them that makes sense and have a good meal.

Would those CI pans work in the oven as well? Thanks for sharing. Excellent work.

Yes sir Mike, they most assuredly will work in an oven. Probably better than on the grill because the heat will be more even. I have to turn the pan once during cooking to ensure one side doesn't get more cooked than the other side.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky