Outside Skirt Steak recipe suggestions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
Going to thaw one out for Saturday's dinner. It's waygu from our daughter's farm. Our pallets are on the tame side especially the wife's who can't handle spicy food. Planning to do it either on the smoker or grill. Looking for suggestions.

Reactions: JLeonard
Check this out, we love them.
Adjust the marinade to your taste.
Al

Outside skirt - one of my favorites. And home grown to boot. Sounds like a good meal.

I like to grill over medium high heat. They're too thin for smoking. You want to get a nice char on the outside without overcooking.

I often use a rub containing ancho and/or guajillo chile powder, which give a nice earthy flavor without being spicy. Just add in some smoked paprika, a bit of brown sugar and garlic, and a pinch of salt (skirts don't need a lot of salt). A coffee based rub can also give some earthiness, but I find coffee rubs a little too strong for my tastes. Of course, Al's look really good as usual.

Most importantly, slice against the grain. This means cutting along the long dimension of the meat, so first cut into smaller 4-6" pieces.

Last edited:
I like to marinade in citrus juice, orange, lime and grapefruit, also pineapple or mango can be added. To that add some salt, garlic, onion even cilantro. Let this marinade from over night to 24 hours. This tenderizes the meat and gives a nice refreshing new flavor while subtle.

Al
This looks fantastic. I've honestly never had one...but I'm gonna have to try. I've heard they are an overlooked gem!

Reactions: schlotz
Al
Thanks Al, that looks fantastic! Can't make out what's in the jar behind the crushed black pepper?

Outside skirt - one of my favorites. And home grown to boot. Sounds like a good meal.

I like to grill over medium high heat. They're too thin for smoking. You want to get a nice char on the outside without overcooking.

I often use a rub containing ancho and/or guajillo chile powder, which give a nice earthy flavor without being spicy. Just add in some smoked paprika, a bit of brown sugar and garlic, and a pinch of salt (skirts don't need a lot of salt). A coffee based rub can also give some earthiness, but I find coffee rubs a little too strong for my tastes. Of course, Al's look really good as usual.

Most importantly, slice against the grain. This means cutting along the long dimension of the meat, so first cut into smaller 4-6" pieces.
Appreciate the recipe Steve, definitely a possibility.

Oh yea I'm a skirt steak lover as well. Just some salt and pepper and grill works for me.
All of Als or edmonds suggestions would be good to.
I like the simplicity, we do this a lot with beef cuts.

Yup . Salt , pepper and some red oak burnt down to coals .
Sometimes a squirt of Bachan's BBQ sauce or Dale's helps give it some color / char on a quick cook . Bachan's is more like a soy or teriyaki .
Thanks Rich.
I like to marinade in citrus juice, orange, lime and grapefruit, also pineapple or mango can be added. To that add some salt, garlic, onion even cilantro. Let this marinade from over night to 24 hours. This tenderizes the meat and gives a nice refreshing new flavor while subtle.
Oooh, yeah this is going to be worthy. Thanks Eric.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky