Hunan Beef: A tribute To "Brian The Enabler"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I don't know if Brian ( BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma ) intentionally set out to become an honorary member of the Exalted Order Of The Enablers or not, but it seems to have happened....as improbable as it may seem. I'd almost bet that he has been taking private lessons from the Enabler In Chief himself Steve H Steve H :emoji_laughing: However it happened, this is the second meal Brian posted that I made in less than a week, and it was amazing. This is another one that as soon as I saw it I knew it had to get done ASAP.

Start out cutting up some veggies. Celery, red bell pepper, broccoli, and green onions.
001.jpg

Next I make the sauce. This is kind of a hybrid from a bunch of different recipes I saw online then made it my own. Added a lot of crushed red pepper and cayenne to bring a bit of heat.
002.jpg

Skirt steak for the protein.
003.jpg

Steak all sliced and ready to go into the skillet.
004.jpg

In the skillet with a little oil, black pepper, and garlic.
005.jpg

Brown the meat and set it off to the side.
006.jpg

A little oil in the wok, get it hot and add the veggies.
007.jpg

Let those cook down for a minute or two and add the baby corn. It just needs to heat up.
008.jpg

Put the meat back in and add the sauce. Toss it all till it's hot. I missed a pic with the sauce in the wok. Sorry about that.
009.jpg

Plated over a bed of steamed rice.
010.jpg

And one for our deviant Canadian friend :emoji_laughing:
011.jpg

This was an absolute Asian flavor bomb. That sauce really brought everything to the party. Great flavor and a little heat on the back end. Veggies were done exactly how we like them: lightly cooked, hot, but still some nice crunch and texture. Apologies to everybody for yet another meal cooked indoors but it's just to flippin' hot to be outside...still. We really enjoyed this meal. It was a welcome change and next time I make this, I might even write down the recipe :emoji_wink: I'm kinda kicking myself for not writing it down but it'll be fun next time trying to replicate this. We are down to a chilly 103 today so I might just have to toss a couple steaks on the grill. Been way too long since we've had a good steak...and I'm due for one.

Y'all take care and stay cool. This heat dome is gonna be with us for a while it appears.

Robert

I don't know if Brian ( BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma ) intentionally set out to become an honorary member of the Exalted Order Of The Enablers or not, but it seems to have happened....as improbable as it may seem. I'd almost bet that he has been taking private lessons from the Enabler In Chief himself Steve H Steve H :emoji_laughing: However it happened, this is the second meal Brian posted that I made in less than a week, and it was amazing. This is another one that as soon as I saw it I knew it had to get done ASAP.

Start out cutting up some veggies. Celery, red bell pepper, broccoli, and green onions.
View attachment 674327

Next I make the sauce. This is kind of a hybrid from a bunch of different recipes I saw online then made it my own. Added a lot of crushed red pepper and cayenne to bring a bit of heat.
View attachment 674328

View attachment 674329

View attachment 674330

View attachment 674331

View attachment 674332

View attachment 674333

Let those cook down for a minute or two and add the baby corn. It just needs to heat up.
View attachment 674334

Put the meat back in and add the sauce. Toss it all till it's hot. I missed a pic with the sauce in the wok. Sorry about that.
View attachment 674335

View attachment 674336

View attachment 674337

This was an absolute Asian flavor bomb. That sauce really brought everything to the party. Great flavor and a little heat on the back end. Veggies were done exactly how we like them: lightly cooked, hot, but still some nice crunch and texture. Apologies to everybody for yet another meal cooked indoors but it's just to flippin' hot to be outside...still. We really enjoyed this meal. It was a welcome change and next time I make this, I might even write down the recipe :emoji_wink: I'm kinda kicking myself for not writing it down but it'll be fun next time trying to replicate this. We are down to a chilly 103 today so I might just have to toss a couple steaks on the grill. Been way too long since we've had a good steak...and I'm due for one.

Y'all take care and stay cool. This heat dome is gonna be with us for a while it appears.

Robert
Looks mighty good Robert! Ann wanted Chinese today too. But take out instead of home cooked.

Never need to apologize for an indoor cooked meal. Exp when it looks that good.
And you might have to group me with DRKsmoking DRKsmoking , I'm digging the closeups!
We might need to come up with a badge kinda like the OTBS one to signify our chief enablers.

Jim

Hell Yeah! Sorry I had to. Fantastic meal there. Missed the 2nd best picture but yeah it happens. 103 wow! Not here. I been going to the river about 9:30 and leaving by 12:30. Sure miss the swimming but lake turning over messed up the river. Last time I went I slipped on the slime and took some meat off my knee. I got my roofer coming tomorrow and also my fridge coming to. Hmm what could go wrong.

View attachment 674327

View attachment 674328

View attachment 674329

View attachment 674330

View attachment 674331

View attachment 674332

View attachment 674333

View attachment 674334

View attachment 674335

View attachment 674336

View attachment 674337

Robert
Rooks velly good. Mama is the wok queen here. About once a week. i might have to share some of her work. Tonight Kung Pao chicken.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with any of that Robert,
Love a good feed of Asian food, so many choices, so little time.

Nice job, and as a Deviant northerner , I can tell they still have a little crunch to them, just how I like most of my veg also

David

Last edited:
Look at that closeup!! Looks great Robert. I love Hunan beef. Brian is adding to my homework list as well with Asian food and a new keto flour blend. I've got a ton of tenderloin tips that will be used in some manner of Asian fare.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks fantastic Robert. Nicely done you took it to a whole'nother level.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks pretty darned tasty Robert! I'd need it in a bowl, gotta have the chopsticks when I go Asian. This has been the hottest year on record here in the desert but don't worry, it will only get worse. RAY

I’ll take two plates and a ice cold Coke Zero with it please….. nice wok work right there….. by the way the whole site should be called the food enabler support group….FESG….

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks mighty good Robert! Ann wanted Chinese today too. But take out instead of home cooked.
Thanks amigo!! This was pretty tasty, no doubt. Weird that Ann wants take out versus homemade. I've seen some of your Asian food and it has always looked outstanding.

Robert

Never need to apologize for an indoor cooked meal.
Thanks buddy. Since getting heat stroke twice in the past few weeks I'm really prone to hitting a wall being out in the heat for even a few minutes. Gonna take a while to recover I guess.
And you might have to group me with DRKsmoking DRKsmoking , I'm digging the closeups!
As David said, come on in!! There's plenty of room but let's not forget Chris ( gmc2003 gmc2003 ) He's getting into the close up shots too :emoji_wink:
We might need to come up with a badge kinda like the OTBS one to signify our chief enablers.
Too funny you say this. I was thinking the exact same thing as I was typing this thread. I'm thinking EOOE and all submissions for candidate nominations must be sent to Steve H Steve H for review. The issue may be getting Brian ( bmudd14474 bmudd14474 ) on board with the concept. If he agrees I think the little badge under your avatar needs to be red signifying DANGER lies ahead with this person :emoji_laughing:

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
The enabling is getting a little bit to contagious here on SMF.....'cause now you got it!! LOL!!!
I appreciate the kind words my friend but time out here. There's no way you can lump me into the same category as some of the true enablers out there. I'm just a humble country boy from very humble roots. I'm not deserving of such acclaim :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky