NAKED RIBS, NO RUB, NO SAUCE!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
On Mother's Day Judy wanted a PR, so we had one left in the freezer.

I thought I would just smoke it in the Lang without any seasoning on it at all.

It came out fantastic, I had some frozen beef Au Jus that we thawed & used as a sauce.

Then Friday night I did a nice 2" thick Choice Angus Ribeye, the same way, no seasoning whatsoever.

I did cook it in a CI pan with some bacon grease & butter to baste it with.

Once again it was very good.

So over the Holiday weekend I thought I would try the same approach with a rack of BB's.

I just bought 1 rack from Publix, to give it a try.

Here we go!

Here is the rack I bought, it was a little pricey, but fresh, never frozen.

I also got a chance to try out my new probe needle from Thermoworks.

I bought it specifically for ribs, It is very thin & easily slides in between the bones for an accurate read.

I put it in a nice meaty section in about the middle of the ribs. I didn't season or take off the membrane.

Right out of the package & into the smoker.

Got the fire going.

And threw the ribs on. No seasoning at all. I have been putting the meat on the smoker as soon as I get the fire started.

I don't wait for the smoker to come up to temp, but I do sterilize the grates with the weedburner when I light the fire.

Fire is coming along nicely & about up to temp., it only takes about 20 minutes.

She ran between 215 & 225 all day long

Other than this one look at the 4 hour mark, I never opened the lid.

It took 6 1/2 hours to reach that magic number I like, 195 degrees IT.

You can see the juices pooling on top of the meat. It looks like I've been mopping or spritzing it all day.

Unbelievable color.

I let them rest for about 15 minutes, & sliced them up. Since I wasn't going to put them on a grill to burn off the membrane & caramelize the sauce. I just pulled the membrane off the back before slicing. It comes off very easily.

IMG_4960.JPG

IMG_4963.JPG

You can see how juicy the ribs are under the membrane.
IMG_4967.JPG

They were very juicy & the smoke really penetrated deep into the meat.

Had a half head of cabbage for some slaw & dinner is served.

You can see they are very tender & juicy, but not quite FOTB.

I was really surprised how much flavor there was. Just pork & hickory.

Judy said these were the best ribs she ever had, & I tend to agree with her.

I'm guilty of trying to always make stuff better with rubs, sauces, marinades & injections.

But I have to say that going back to just meat & smoke has opened up a whole new world of flavor to me.

I guess some of the old timers on here have done it this way for years, but it was a new experience for me & one that I will definitely repeat!

Thanks for looking guys & I urge you to give this a try if you haven't already done so.

Al

Last edited:
Well that just needs some points! Those ribs look amazing. That's how I started off smoking. I didn't know you were "supposed " to rub them so I didn't. Pork has a ton of flavor so it really doesn't require anything. Now I just roll with salt and pepper.

Lance

Look fantastic Al!! Got me wondering if all of that rub we put on the ribs along with the mustard, keeps a good amount of the smoke from really penetrating the meat.
Going to have to give this a try! ......and no S&P either? hmmm

Points to you!!

Reactions: ConrodM
I too am guilty of always trying to "enhance" the flavor with various rubs, injections and sauces.. looks absoutely delish!! Food for thought and another addition to the ever growing list of "to do's"

Point :drool

Reactions: ConrodM
 Looks like another great meal Al. If that's pricey then you really don't want to move up my way. That's more of a sale price here.

Chris

Last edited:
Looks great Al. I never use sauce on anything but I do use rub. No binder like mustard or oil--just the moisture from the meat to hold the rub.

I'll have to try ribs with no foil period--something new for me.

POINTS FOR SOMETHING NEW TO TRY.

Gary

Good looking Ribs Al  Wish I had a couple of racks to throw on with my Pork Butt

points1.png

Gary

Looks awesome! I have 2 racks of ribs chilling out in my fridge and IDK what to do with them, rub and sauce wise. Maybe Ill try this approach later on or tomorrow.

Well that just needs some points! Those ribs look amazing. That's how I started off smoking. I didn't know you were "supposed " to rub them so I didn't. Pork has a ton of flavor so it really doesn't require anything. Now I just roll with salt and pepper.

Lance
Look fantastic Al!! Got me wondering if all of that rub we put on the ribs along with the mustard, keeps a good amount of the smoke from really penetrating the meat.
Going to have to give this a try! ......and no S&P either? hmmm

Points to you!!
I too am guilty of always trying to "enhance" the flavor with various rubs, injections and sauces.. looks absoutely delish!! Food for thought and another addition to the ever growing list of "to do's"

Point
drool.gif

Wow Al, fantastic looking BBs! 
points1.png
my friend.  Heck, you've even got me thinking about BBs, and I'm a die hard spare rib guy. 

Looks great Al!  Sometimes I do mine with just S&P.  It's nice to be able to just taste the meat and smoke...el-natural!
Looks great Al. I never use sauce on anything but I do use rub. No binder like mustard or oil--just the moisture from the meat to hold the rub.

I'll have to try ribs with no foil period--something new for me.

POINTS FOR SOMETHING NEW TO TRY.

Gary

Tasty looking plate! Nice Smoke!

points1.png

Interesting; thanks Al!

Naked never looked so good! Point for baring it in all its glory!

Good looking Ribs Al  Wish I had a couple of racks to throw on with my Pork Butt

points1.png

Gary
Thanks a lot guys!

The kind words & the points are much appreciated!

Al

Looks like another great meal Al. If that's pricey then you really don't want to move up my way. That's more of a sale price here.

Chris

very nice, all i ever use is garlic salt, onion powder and course ground black pepper, no foil..........might have to try them naked next time..........good lookin ribs for sure.............t
Looks awesome! I have 2 racks of ribs chilling out in my fridge and IDK what to do with them, rub and sauce wise. Maybe Ill try this approach later on or tomorrow.
Thanks a lot fellas!

It is much appreciated!

Al

Al I did my baby backs like that last week with a little rub, 195* F just short of FOB

Richie

icon14.gif

Al I did my baby backs like that last week with a little rub, 195* F just short of FOB

Richie

icon14.gif
Thanks Richie!

I think the ribs to temp thing is starting to catch on pretty good.

It sure is a lot more consistent, at least in my case.

Al

Amazing how good pork and smoke alone go together. Smoke ring definitely got on strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky